Grays Review

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I blame Duffy.
If Duffy had played yesterday we'd have won because he'd have attacked that cross in the first minute rather then dangling a foot at it.

Service to the front two was woeful yet again, we don't have anyone who can provide that bit of spark, do something unexpected and it really is dreadful stuff at the moment.

If we're going to play Yemi as a winger we need another striker (or keep Duffy) having 3 is simply not enough, when we bring subs on we're looking a worse team - in 48 games for us Hutch has scored one goal what on Earth makes Patto think he's the answer up front.

Still left back looked solid enough, as did Ashton. When will Quinn learn that launching the ball 40 yards everytime he gets it is one of the main reasons why we're in this mess.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

So what do we reckon the real crowd number was? While there were plenty of kids around, the OM looked pretty thin (not to mention silent) and the SSU certainly didn't seem to be any more populated than usual.

Has Slow Eddie got one leg shorter than the other? Is that why he always goes around in a circle when he gets the ball?

Well, still got our six point cushion over Farsley (after our ten points for going into administration are deducted). And only 14 points off the play offs!
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

once again i find myself reflecting that the occupation of trying to divine whether a team is emerging from the morass before us could be a tiresome task for the rest of this season. and all the time the scoreboard teases us with 'latest scores' from around the country, so that we can live vicariously the emotions of other games' excitement.

luke foster is on a tremendous run of form at the moment. man of the match. anaclet looks far more comfortable in the midfield, and for some strange reason, seems now far more likely to put in the sort of challenges you would've liked to have seen of him when defending.

of the new signings, howard looks like he knows the position well, is willing to make the odd foray forward, and can deliver a good cross. if he continues to play like that, he looks a good signing. green looks the far more accomplished of the two strikers - richards looks raw and unpredictable. not that that's a bad thing - we've done okay with that kind of striker before. but it does mean he may be liable to forget where his feet are.

my main complaint is one of pace - not that there aren't speedy players on the team, just that on reaching the final third of the pitch, it was like the players were under orders to stop running. everytime play seemed to be held up, and then knocked round the edge of the area, while grays got back. not necessarily a bad tactic if you have players capable of delivering a decent cross and converting those, but we showed little danger of doing that, and i longed for someone to keep the run going and just see if they could beat their man.

well, i just hope whatever nascent spirit there is now at OUFC doesn't get snuffed out by a stuffing at the rec.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:GY, I’ll bet your kids are just dying to come again aren’t they?
Not exactly! And it didn't help having one or two less thoughtful fans sitting behind, shouting very loudly all game with the foulest of language. We all get excited and annoyed and use bad language, but when there are young kids around, we have to learn to control ourselves a bit better.

Many thanks to Hog and Graham Hilsdon for their help with vouchers on the day.

When I got home, I had received an email from Chris Williams at 14 minutes to 2pm on Saturday afternoon claiming everything would be alright if I turned up and made a fuss. Notwithstanding that if I hadn't left until 14 minutes to 2pm, I wouldn't have seen any of the game due to the distance I have to travel which is why there was a problem with the mis-handled voucher scheme in the first place, I'm very glad I didn't turn up to make a fuss, as I would have been left with having to pay for 4 tickets instead of 2.
bringiton
Baby

Re:

Post by bringiton »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:once again i find myself reflecting that the occupation of trying to divine whether a team is emerging from the morass before us could be a tiresome task for the rest of this season. and all the time the scoreboard teases us with 'latest scores' from around the country, so that we can live vicariously the emotions of other games' excitement.

luke foster is on a tremendous run of form at the moment. man of the match. anaclet looks far more comfortable in the midfield, and for some strange reason, seems now far more likely to put in the sort of challenges you would've liked to have seen of him when defending.

of the new signings, howard looks like he knows the position well, is willing to make the odd foray forward, and can deliver a good cross. if he continues to play like that, he looks a good signing. green looks the far more accomplished of the two strikers - richards looks raw and unpredictable. not that that's a bad thing - we've done okay with that kind of striker before. but it does mean he may be liable to forget where his feet are.

my main complaint is one of pace - not that there aren't speedy players on the team, just that on reaching the final third of the pitch, it was like the players were under orders to stop running. everytime play seemed to be held up, and then knocked round the edge of the area, while grays got back. not necessarily a bad tactic if you have players capable of delivering a decent cross and converting those, but we showed little danger of doing that, and i longed for someone to keep the run going and just see if they could beat their man.

well, i just hope whatever nascent spirit there is now at OUFC doesn't get snuffed out by a stuffing at the rec.
matt d- great review- I live in london and only see a few games a season, that was a horrible afternoons football- I couldn't work out why in the final third the strikers just seemed to run into a swamp and slow down-some of their service was worse than you see at my sons u13 games...I mean really, cross the fukin ball guys, it aint that difficult

thought grays were very organised and tight defensively - if we'd run at/through them more maybe they'd have had some luck- I didnt see anyone really try to do that tho.

I like the look of murray---he was best player on the pitch for me...

WTF is that Howard bloke about-- he looked and played like a schoolboy--totally pony imho.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotbringiton&quot wrote:
&quotMatt D&quot wrote:once again i find myself reflecting that the occupation of trying to divine whether a team is emerging from the morass before us could be a tiresome task for the rest of this season. and all the time the scoreboard teases us with 'latest scores' from around the country, so that we can live vicariously the emotions of other games' excitement.

of the new signings, howard looks like he knows the position well, is willing to make the odd foray forward, and can deliver a good cross. if he continues to play like that, he looks a good signing. green looks the farmore accomplished of the two strikers - richards looks raw and unpredictable. not that that's a bad thing - we've done okay with that kind of striker before. but it does mean he may be liable to forget where his feet are.

WTF is that Howard bloke about-- he looked and played like a schoolboy--totally pony imho.
If you thought Michael Howard was pony then I have to say how relieved I am that you did not have the misfortune to witness Alex Jeannin on
too many occasions this season!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotbringiton&quot wrote: WTF is that Howard bloke about-- he looked and played like a schoolboy--totally pony imho.
That will be the Howard who played in a defence that conceded no goals, the Howard that passed the ball around reasonably well and got a couple of crosses in - all on his debut. Yeah, total pony.