A First for Oxford?

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

A First for Oxford?

Post by Mooro »

Is Oxford the first former winner of the League Cup not to qualify for entry into a subsequent competition?

Oh, how the mighty.......etc!

Also wonder whether there are any other English counties apart from Oxfordshire without a league club?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Didn't Shrewsbury win the first ever League Cup (against your Villa lot, if I'm not mistaken)? They presumably didn't qualify for it when they graced the Conference.

As for English counties without a league club, ask Kernow Yellow.

Edit: It was Rotherham who beat Villa in the first LC final. Bugger.

Edit 2: Except it was Villa who beat Rotherham, damn my shite brain.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Apart from Oxfordshire and Cornwall, I think we could add West Sussex, Worcestershire, Northumberland and Durham.

Crystal Palace have a Surrey postal address but are in a London borough.

And both Gillingham and Brighton are both in unitary authorities so perhaps Kent and East Sussex should be put on the list too.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Altho isnt Darlington in Co Durham and you could count Berwick Rangers as a Northumbrian league club (sort of) and isnt it now Hereford &amp Worcester and and....
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

What about the Isle of Wight, or does that count as part of Hampshire?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

IoW is definitely a different county. Some may say a different planet.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Is Peterborough in Cambridgeshire these days?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Much to the disgust of my Peterborough supporting colleague I think it is.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

North Yorkshire?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

No, definitely Cambridgeshire!
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Much to the disgust of my Peterborough supporting colleague I think it is.
According to a website Peterborough is ceremonially in Cambridgeshire.

Whatever that means.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

IOW is a county in its own right.

Portsmouth and Southampton are unitary authorities so you could add Hampshire, if you are going on County Council areas and not historic counties (although Bournemouth used to be in Hampshire!).
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:Apart from Oxfordshire and Cornwall, I think we could add West Sussex, Worcestershire, Northumberland and Durham.

Crystal Palace have a Surrey postal address but are in a London borough.

And both Gillingham and Brighton are both in unitary authorities so perhaps Kent and East Sussex should be put on the list too.
Certainly not Durham, as someone else has pointed out. I'm sure Surrey counts though.

Falmer, where Brighton's new ground is supposed to be, appears to be just inside West Sussex, meaning that East Sussex would then have no league team. Unless Crawley get promoted of course :o
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Its not so long ago that Bucks had no league side and never had to my knowledge and now they've got two!

There are plenty of Welsh counties without league sides that you could count seeing as they have 3 teams in the English league already.

Exeter and Torquay fans wil tell you that Plymouth is effectively a Cornish club so Cornwall should be crossed off the list.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

[quote=&quotMally&quot]Its not so long ago that Bucks had no league side and never had to my knowledge and now they've got two! [quote]

Edited to hide more stupidity on my part. I really should learn to think before I type.

I'd completely forgotten about MK Dons. Actually, officially they're in the 'County of Milton Keynes' (another unitary authorty), but I agree that ceremonial counties are more suited to the purposes of this question...
Last edited by Kernow Yellow on Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.