Crawley Town

Anything yellow and blue
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Crawley Town

Post by Myles Francis »

If the rumours I'm hearing are true, it seems doubtful that we'll be getting our televised game at Crawley as they won't be in the Conference this season.

The administrators put the club up for sale and yesterday was the deadline for bids. The rumour is that the only party to make a bid were the current owners. If the administrators don't accept the bid (and, again rumour has it, the bid is on worse terms than a CVA proposal which was rejected a couple of weeks back) then Crawley will be liquidated. Even if the bid is accepted, it has been said that the Conference will not allow Crawley to take up their place as they will not be able to realistically guarantee being able to fulfill their fixtures and they have grave concerns over how the club has been run over the last 18 months or so.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: Crawley Town

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:If the rumours I'm hearing are true, it seems doubtful that we'll be getting our televised game at Crawley as they won't be in the Conference this season.

The administrators put the club up for sale and yesterday was the deadline for bids. The rumour is that the only party to make a bid were the current owners. If the administrators don't accept the bid (and, again rumour has it, the bid is on worse terms than a CVA proposal which was rejected a couple of weeks back) then Crawley will be liquidated. Even if the bid is accepted, it has been said that the Conference will not allow Crawley to take up their place as they will not be able to realistically guarantee being able to fulfill their fixtures and they have grave concerns over how the club has been run over the last 18 months or so.
Did the Supporters Trust not make a bid Myles? I know they were planning to do so, but maybe they weren't able to raise the funds.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Did the Supporters Trust not make a bid Myles? I know they were planning to do so, but maybe they weren't able to raise the funds.
The ST haven't released their full response to the administrators, but have released the following quote from it:
Consequently all of the advice we have received - from a variety of advisors - is that it would be reckless to commit the Trust to any project to rescue the company in it’s present state. This advice applies equally to an independent Trust bid and also to the prospect (we explored at great depth with John Goodwin and our own investors) whereby we would be a minority party within a consortia.
I believe that they did have some money in place (I assume enough to make some sort of bid) but the uncertainty has put them off. I understand that the Conference's worry about whether the club could fulfill their fixtures would carry regardless of who took over.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Did the Supporters Trust not make a bid Myles? I know they were planning to do so, but maybe they weren't able to raise the funds.
The ST haven't released their full response to the administrators, but have released the following quote from it:
Consequently all of the advice we have received - from a variety of advisors - is that it would be reckless to commit the Trust to any project to rescue the company in it’s present state. This advice applies equally to an independent Trust bid and also to the prospect (we explored at great depth with John Goodwin and our own investors) whereby we would be a minority party within a consortia.
I believe that they did have some money in place (I assume enough to make some sort of bid) but the uncertainty has put them off. I understand that the Conference's worry about whether the club could fulfill their fixtures would carry regardless of who took over.
It seems a slightly bizarre notion to raise money to buy the club you support and then refuse to bid, risking liquidation.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

It ain't looking good for Crawley Town.

http&#58//news&#46bbc&#46co&#46uk/sport ... 848&#46stm
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

If they go under our season tickets lose a little value as it is obviously too late to promote some Conference South team at this late stage. Or perhaps we'll get a freebie Cup game.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Just heard on the News that they have got a stay of execution. Doesn't look promising though.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Just heard on the News that they have got a stay of execution. Doesn't look promising though.
Yes apparently the Majeeds have upped their offer to 50p in the pound.

The Inland Revenue might well accept that, and if they do, CTFC will be saved for now. Not sure the Conference Board will be happy to accept them with the Majeeds at the head though.

Also the supporters seem genuinely split now between wanting a break away and fresh start, and wanting to retain their Conference status even if that means the Majeeds remaining.

Difficult one.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Just heard on the News that they have got a stay of execution. Doesn't look promising though.

The Inland Revenue might well accept that, and if they do, CTFC will be saved for now. Not sure the Conference Board will be happy to accept them with the Majeeds at the head though.

Also the supporters seem genuinely split now between wanting a break away and fresh start, and wanting to retain their Conference status even if that means the Majeeds remaining.

Difficult one.
I think it a fairly safe bet that, even if the Majeeds latest offer was to be accepted, the Conference will expel them today anyway as Crawley won't be able to provide sufficient guarantees that they will fulfill their fixtures for the coming season.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:

Difficult one.
I think it a fairly safe bet that, even if the Majeeds latest offer was to be accepted, the Conference will expel them today anyway as Crawley won't be able to provide sufficient guarantees that they will fulfill their fixtures for the coming season.
Not so sure about that Myles. The link below includes a quote from the Conference Board which suggests that as long as CTFC are not liquidated, they will be allowed to play in the Conference.

http&#58//ctfc&#46net/forum/viewtopic&#46php?t=10687
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Conflicting reports on the current situation. One says that the creditors committe were tied on the latest proposal and will be reconvening in two weeks time. The other says that the administrator used his casting vote and accepted the offer from the Majeeds.

Edit: apparently the administrator used his casting vote to approve the deal, but this will have to be ratified by a meeting of all creditors in 14 days. It is not clear if the Conference will allow Crawley to start the season on Saturday or whether they will be put on hold until after the creditors meeting.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:Conflicting reports on the current situation. One says that the creditors committe were tied on the latest proposal and will be reconvening in two weeks time. The other says that the administrator used his casting vote and accepted the offer from the Majeeds.

Edit: apparently the administrator used his casting vote to approve the deal, but this will have to be ratified by a meeting of all creditors in 14 days. It is not clear if the Conference will allow Crawley to start the season on Saturday or whether they will be put on hold until after the creditors meeting.
Crawley have been definitely cleared to start the season according to the Rushden website (their first opponents). To be honest I can't see the creditors refusing 50% payback, which, even given the antics of the Majeeds, is an unusually high settlement for a company with liquidation looming.

Where the Majeeds will get the money from is another matter of course, as they have allegedly been unable to underwrite even a single season's costs, and they are reputedly already asking for time to pay the 50p in the £!!!!

What a farce. I remain amazed that the Conference Board are allowing this to continue as it completely undermines the credibility of the top tier of the non-league pyramid.

Very small odds on CTFC completing the season I would imagine.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote: What a farce. I remain amazed that the Conference Board are allowing this to continue as it completely undermines the credibility of the top tier of the non-league pyramid.
Because the Altrincham, Scarborough, Canvey Island, Carshalton/Leigh issues have not damaged their credibility at all have they.
Welcome to non-league....and it is only a matter of time before we get caught up in something too..
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote: What a farce. I remain amazed that the Conference Board are allowing this to continue as it completely undermines the credibility of the top tier of the non-league pyramid.
Because the Altrincham, Scarborough, Canvey Island, Carshalton/Leigh issues have not damaged their credibility at all have they.
Welcome to non-league....and it is only a matter of time before we get caught up in something too..

Sorry? Why do you say that then? Are you telling me the club is mismanaged? Where's your evidence?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Because the Altrincham, Scarborough, Canvey Island, Carshalton/Leigh issues have not damaged their credibility at all have they.

Sorry? Why do you say that then? Are you telling me the club is mismanaged? Where's your evidence?
Not at all, I'm suggesting that the management of non-league football is not all it could be at times. You only have to look at the chaos that surrounded relegation from the Conference this time round to see that.

Take it for granted that if Crawley start the season then fold, it will be some time before a final decision is taken how to handle the fallout as there will be appeals and reviews and meetings to determine which results remain and which are scrubbed.

Add into that the overly strict policing of certain rules (eg wage caps) and very quickly it becomes clear that any team can get caught up quite easily. For instance, if we turn up with the wrong kit as we did vrs Barnet last year, that could be points deducted rather than a slap on the wrist for the secretary. I'm just saying we have to be careful not to mess up as it could cost us and don't want to miss promotion on a technicality.

It may also be worth remembering that some people may take particular delight in knocking us down a peg or two if we are perceived as thinking ourselves too big for non-league.

There are already rumblings about the validity of our three-sided stadium
in the light of ground grading requirements and fans of many clubs are already talking of boycotts over the price of tickets at the Kassam and many clubs take pride in knocking over teams that have been relegated, so we just need to be ready and need to keep our noses clean.