Burgess gone

Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Burgess gone

Post by Hog »

I can understand the reasoning but I can't help feeling a little disappointed.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

I'm surprised we let him go to a 'promotion rival'. Seems daft cos he's guaranteed to rip us apart in the two league games. We know he's a good player and if he hits proper form then he could take Rushden up.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Especially given that at least the first game is on the tele too...

Had to smile at the Kassam-esque style shipping him out the day after a piece on him wanting to stay on in the Oxford Mail.

Now I just wonder whether he'll be writing for the Daily Mirror again this year.....
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I'm torn on the Burgess departure.

On his day, he is probably the best player in the Conference.

But he doesn't have enough of those days.

Given the stature of our management team and set up, I'm surprised we couldn't get more out of him and I feel a bit short changed to that extent.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I don't feel JS was able to find a way to slot him into the team - hence he ended up playing at left back in our most important game of the season.

I remember one of the BBC conference call programs when it was about him and a comment was made that we were looking to change our system to involve him more, we soon after went on our bad run, why we couldn't leave him as he was when we were doing so well was a bit worrying - why change a winning formula?

I think its bad news he's our most talented player and it's always a shame to see that person leave.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Teams designed to accomodate one flair player rarely work, so I'm not too sad to see him go.

He had his moments, but never imposed himself on a game and one of my abiding memories is watching him showboat time after time when we were losing 1-nil at Rushden.

We almost got it right playing him as a (sometimes substitute) left winger for those five or so games playing 4-4-2 last season.

I'd imagine he was on a fair wedge too. We'll cope without him.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I have some mixed feeling on this one.

Given his inconsistency then it’s probably a good and practical decision to let him go and get him off our wage bill - but at the end of the day we’ve arrived at this very sad state of affairs when our once half-decent club can’t find a place in the squad for a lower league playmaker and entertainer like Burgess mainly on account of the finances.

Pele he was not, but just how far have we sunk in recent times?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I too am not sure what to make of this. i feel that &quotThe Burge&quot would have been far more of an asset in a 442 situation but was clearly surplus to requirements in JS squad, but was difficult to exclude as he is clearly a gifted player. this may, however, allow for the signing of Standing. which can only be a good thing.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re: Burgess gone

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotHog&quot wrote:I can understand the reasoning but I can't help feeling a little disappointed.
Agreed. His salary was busting the wage cap. Always enjoyed watching Burgess. I bet we had to pay him a chunk to go as R and D are (relatively) potless.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote: allow for the signing of Standing. which can only be a good thing.
So why have we not signed him yet?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

perhaps because Rose is back on the market after not being taken on by Bristol Rovers....

...mind you, I'd like to think we could find room on the wage bill for both of them (depending how close to the cap we actuallly are..)
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:...mind you, I'd like to think we could find room on the wage bill for both of them (depending how close to the cap we actuallly are..)
Very unlikely.

People say our squad ain't that big but bearing in mind there is no reserve team this year plenty of so called first teamers are not going to get much time on the pitch.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

I would certainly sooner have Standing and Rose than Standing and Gnohere. Gnohere could be the best defender we've seen at the club (he's not) and I would still think the same, do we really need seven central defenders?

The imperative has to be signing Standing. If there's any money left after that, then look at one of the other two, preferably Rose.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

&quotseven central defenders&quot .......... But how many have a left foot that isn't merely to stand on?