Site redesign

Thoughts on the Forum? Or the Rage Online web site? New sections. new layout, new editors? Post your ideas here
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 8:34 am

Site redesign

Post by admin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:33 pm

We're contemplating some sort of a site redesign (well, we've been contemplating it for ages, but we might actually get around to doing something about it soon) and so this thread is your opportunity to put forward ideas, suggestions, things you've been wanting to see, things you'd like to get shot of, etc). Obviously we won't guarantee to incorporate everything, or even anything, mooted here, but if you don't ask you (possibly) won't get.

For starters, one idea we're considering is the facility to post comments at the end of news items, like a real blog type thing.

Over to you...

Matthewjbutler
Brat
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Post by Matthewjbutler » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Came in to say that posts after news items (and especially match reports) was the way forward so glad you have already considered this!

Perhaps two different forums - one for optimists and one for pessimists to sort the deluded from the miserable?!!

GodalmingYellow
Senile
Posts: 5178
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:22 am

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:36 pm

&quotMatthewjbutler&quot wrote:Came in to say that posts after news items (and especially match reports) was the way forward so glad you have already considered this!

Perhaps two different forums - one for optimists and one for pessimists to sort the deluded from the miserable?!!
What aout the miserable deludeds?

GodalmingYellow
Senile
Posts: 5178
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:22 am

Post by GodalmingYellow » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:37 pm

How about an automatic Duffy edit,to correct those who think he was the Messiah?

Baboo
Grumpy old git
Posts: 3539
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:31 pm

Re:

Post by Baboo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:20 am

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotMatthewjbutler&quot wrote:Came in to say that posts after news items (and especially match reports) was the way forward so glad you have already considered this!

Perhaps two different forums - one for optimists and one for pessimists to sort the deluded from the miserable?!!
What aout the miserable deludeds?
Realists?
Sitting on the fenceists?

Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 7:17 pm

Post by Boogie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:05 am

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The site works fine as it is.

Having comments after news items and match reports will just spread the comments around and make it harder to see comments on one topic in one place.

I'd move the Hat into a separate section though, like the Boot.

slappy
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2287
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:52 pm

Post by slappy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:30 am

A button to do a hyperlink so that you type the display text in the first box, and paste the url in the second box. Like the &quotinsert email&quot button at the other place.

On the &quotwhere are they now&quot, a news feed to say who has been updated and when. Or a link to the source of the update next to the player (although these links may well break down in time).

On the news and match reports, the contributor. I don't know if these are all written by Boris, or if there is a team of Rageonline writers.

In match details in the fixture list, the manager, the opponent's players, substitutions, cards, goal scorers. (I was trying to establish the last time that Jamie Cook lost a game at the home of Oxford United, whether playing for Oxford or the opposition. I think it is a long way back). [/url]

GodalmingYellow
Senile
Posts: 5178
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:22 am

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:45 am

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The site works fine as it is.

Having comments after news items and match reports will just spread the comments around and make it harder to see comments on one topic in one place.

I'd move the Hat into a separate section though, like the Boot.
I pretty much agree with this. The site works really well as it is and is one of my favourite sites to visit.

theox
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1162
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:33 pm
Location: Broncos

Re:

Post by theox » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:10 pm

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotBoogie&quot wrote:If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The site works fine as it is.

Having comments after news items and match reports will just spread the comments around and make it harder to see comments on one topic in one place.

I'd move the Hat into a separate section though, like the Boot.
I pretty much agree with this. The site works really well as it is and is one of my favourite sites to visit.
Agreed.

boris
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2786
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 12:44 pm
Location: The house with no door

Re:

Post by boris » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:12 pm

&quotslappy&quot wrote: On the news and match reports, the contributor. I don't know if these are all written by Boris, or if there is a team of Rageonline writers.
Just me (unless otherwise stated). But always looking for volunteers...

Snake
Grumpy old git
Posts: 4376
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Re:

Post by Snake » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:24 pm

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote: On the news and match reports, the contributor. I don't know if these are all written by Boris, or if there is a team of Rageonline writers.
Just me (unless otherwise stated). But always looking for volunteers...
….which makes this website a personal testimony to our current club historian and his many casual helpers.

////

Moving on, it costs real dosh for the ISP maintenance as well as Martin’s free time to keep it all going, which got me thinking. Given that we’ve had over a million hits “since time began

STEVE F
Brat
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:26 pm

changes to rageon

Post by STEVE F » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:35 pm

i see no reason to change anything about rageon as it works ok as it is rather stupid action on part of admin changes not wanted or needed unless admin intent is to mess up rageon site
am not happy with this admin action and am sure most users will agree with my opinion

scooter
Dashing young thing
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 3:35 pm

Post by scooter » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:19 pm

It's a great site and any changes should be limited so the basic structure is the same.

I wouldn't be averse to some limited commercial activity if it ensured the future of the site.

Long John Silver
Brat
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:10 pm

Re:

Post by Long John Silver » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:57 pm

&quotslappy&quot wrote:A button to do a hyperlink so that you type the display text in the first box, and paste the url in the second box. Like the &quotinsert email&quot button at the other place.

On the &quotwhere are they now&quot, a news feed to say who has been updated and when. Or a link to the source of the update next to the player (although these links may well break down in time).

On the news and match reports, the contributor. I don't know if these are all written by Boris, or if there is a team of Rageonline writers.

In match details in the fixture list, the manager, the opponent's players, substitutions, cards, goal scorers. (I was trying to establish the last time that Jamie Cook lost a game at the home of Oxford United, whether playing for Oxford or the opposition. I think it is a long way back). [/url]
Goal scorers, non-playing subs, and squad numbers in place of 1-11 please :D

Snake
Grumpy old git
Posts: 4376
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Post by Snake » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:48 pm

This may be a tricky one for boris.

On the plus side the site is very clean from advertisements other than activemedia but I don’t see why we can’t sacrifice a small part of the website to companies like Bridle Insurance, Buildbase, Jack FM or even the bloke who promises a “life without debt

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest