Squad Status

Anything yellow and blue
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Needs to be updated to reflect Willmott signing a new 2-year contract, Mally.

(and where's that York prog?)
I like Willmott a lot but........ is offering a two year deal to a player who has been out for 6 months with a serious injury, especially considering he is no youngster, a good idea?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote:Needs to be updated to reflect Willmott signing a new 2-year contract, Mally.

I like Willmott a lot but........ is offering a two year deal to a player who has been out for 6 months with a serious injury, especially considering he is no youngster, a good idea?
Longer contracts are double edged swords. If the player is injured frequently or not performing then you have to pay to off load them but on the other hand a player on a two year contract who performs well and is a regular in the team is far more settled at the sharp end of the season and will bring in a transfer fee if he wants to move early.

Presumably the prognosis on his injury and treatment was taken into account when negotiating the contract.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:

I think you're being a bit harsh there DLT. He's only 30 and was one of the best players prior to his injury. Assuming he has regained fitness, I think this is good news and the 2 most important of the 4 offered contracts have been taken already.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote:

I think you're being a bit harsh there DLT. He's only 30 and was one of the best players prior to his injury. Assuming he has regained fitness, I think this is good news and the 2 most important of the 4 offered contracts have been taken already.
Two??
hit it eddy!
Sperm

Post by hit it eddy! »

Yemi I assume he means (sorry if I'm wrong).
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quothit it eddy!&quot wrote:Yemi I assume he means (sorry if I'm wrong).
You're not wrong!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

It's 3 of 6 so far, isn't it? Day, Odubabe, Willmott. Still waiting on Quinn, Foster(L) and Corcoran.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotJimski&quot wrote:It's 3 of 6 so far, isn't it? Day, Odubabe, Willmott. Still waiting on Quinn, Foster(L) and Corcoran.
It is.

I did say the 2 most important, and I was referring to contracts being renewed, rather than new deals to previous loanees, although I got that wrong as well! :oops:
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

&quotPresumably the prognosis on his injury and treatment was taken into account when negotiating the contract.&quot ......... Big assumption, Think McGuckin.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote:

The fact he is 30 reinforces my argument for me GY.

He isn't back in training yet is he? He was never quick, players with cruciate injuries often seem to lose pace when they return.

I would have preferred a one deal with the same type of clause as Day, Mansell and Bradbury.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Of course we don't know what Wilmott's negotiating position was. It is possible that he'd lined up an alternative deal elsewhere and/or his position was 2 years or nothing. On balance at this level I'd rather have him on a 2 year deal than not at all.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Unfortunately, hindsight is always the best view.

Of course Willmott might have taken a 'Kassam' bait. For example one year for 50k or two years for 80k.

Still would have offered him 1 year only.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotDLT
I like Willmott a lot but........ is offering a two year deal to a player who has been out for 6 months with a serious injury, especially considering he is no youngster, a good idea?[/quote]

I'm with DLT on this one. Wilmott has been out a long time.
Do people really expect he's had a proper independent medical assessment. After all we've even been know to carelessly sign players we've never seen play.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:After all we've even been know to carelessly sign players we've never seen play.
I'm probably the only one who thinks this but I quite liked Grebis and I don't think he was given a proper chance. Once the news got out about Jim not actually watching him I felt he was dumped with undue haste.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotJimski&quot wrote:It's 3 of 6 so far, isn't it? Day, Odubabe, Willmott. Still waiting on Quinn, Foster(L) and Corcoran.
Quinn has signed a new 1 year deal, quoting &quotunfinished business&quot