Lost

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Lost

Post by recordmeister »

I want to come on here and say something, but i really don't know what to say.

I need a hug.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Come here then recordmeister, we all need a hug....

we must be due some incredibly enjoyable seasons after the last 10 or so...
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

I just can't deal with the heart ache. Waking early this morning to find that it was still true, it was real. Laying in bed going over those bloody penalties.

It really does say something when the two main strikers allow the keeper to take a penalty ahead of them doesn't it. Absolute nonsense !

For me the biggest hurt is the loss of a trip to Wembley, with my little boy. I so wanted him to be able to say, to his grandchildren, in 70 years time.&quotYou know, I saw Oxford play at Wembley with my dad in it's first year&quot. A one off opportunity, which we could of had and totally muffed it. Deprived of a great day out.

My concern for next year is that we've taken away the hope and belief.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:I just can't deal with the heart ache. Waking early this morning to find that it was still true, it was real. Laying in bed going over those bloody penalties.

It really does say something when the two main strikers allow the keeper to take a penalty ahead of them doesn't it. Absolute nonsense !

For me the biggest hurt is the loss of a trip to Wembley, with my little boy. I so wanted him to be able to say, to his grandchildren, in 70 years time.&quotYou know, I saw Oxford play at Wembley with my dad in it's first year&quot. A one off opportunity, which we could of had and totally muffed it. Deprived of a great day out.

I feel exactly the same and have a stinging in eyes now thanks to you. :cry:

And that Duffy miss. And that Yemi miss in the first game and that Zebra miss in the first game. Any of those would have been enough.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

after the home match against the daggers, the person who writes the oxblogger website talked about the 'wounds' at oxford united that are barely healed, and easily opened up again.

it seemed a very prescient analysis of the club to me, and i think it was there last night.

yes 2nd and in the play-offs was beyond my expectations at the start of the season.

but how did we blow an 8 point lead in the league?

how did we blow a 2 goal aggregate lead in the play-off semi?

how did we blow the penalties from 2-1?

i still don't know. i too woke up this morning and felt crushed all over again when it all came back to me. in my mind's eye i can still see the orient fans' celebrating last may, and i think duffy bearing down on rice will be the image that sticks with me this time round.

big worries about next season. yes i'll be there. no, i probably won't go to as many games.

this is a football club that truly tests one's mettle.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:I just can't deal with the heart ache. Waking early this morning to find that it was still true, it was real. Laying in bed going over those bloody penalties.

The first words I heard when my radio alarm went of this morning were from Nicky Campbell on 5 Live saying &quotWe're asking our listeners to tell us about their experiences visiting the new Wembley stadium&quot

You can probably imagine my response.

Not the first thing I wanted to hear on waking to bring last night back into cruel focus.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Try getting the Oxford tube back to London last night, and pretty much having the massive stadium mock you as you pass it in the night.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

how did we blow the penalties from 2-1?
It was 3-1 at one point, though admittedly we'd taken three and them only two at that point.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Try getting the Oxford tube back to London last night, and pretty much having the massive stadium mock you as you pass it in the night.
i can also see it from my office window, which does not help today in the least....
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

It keeps getting worse. Just picked up a copy of the Guardian and after having almost totally ignored us and the Conference all season they have a match report from last night saying how crap we were. Then to rub salt into the open wounds one of the 5 questions in the sports quiz on the back page is:

&quotWhat was Oxford United's highest ever league position at the end of the season?&quot

(18th in the top tier in 85/86 and 86/87 in case you can't remember)
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I can cope with another year in the conference. Though I really worry about the club's finances long term.

I accept that Exeter were the better team over the two legs and showed us where we went wrong when building this slow geriatric squad. Their three subs were forwards of the quality of Logan, Stainsfield and Mackie.

What really upsets me is the fact that I possibly won't get another chance to walk up Wembley way with my teenage son and nephew. That would have been, as Neil points out, a day my family would remember for 70 years.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

No Wembley for me - which given I was oblivious to the existence of OUFC last time they went - which was a shame, but my little one was too little to go this time, which is perhaps a blessing.

In fact, I think he had exactly the right idea last night, went to sleep some time around 8pm and was still asleep when I left for work this morning - in hindsight I wouldnt mind swapping places...

I think one thing that makes it more tolerable is to remember how crap Division IV actually is in almost every respect. OK, so we'd have to go through it to get to Div III and back to where we all expect to be, but other than that are trips to Macclesfiled, Bury, Rochdale, Barnet, etc much better than Droylsden, Histon &amp co?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Just made a cup of tea and sat on the roof of our office, which has a view over Wembley. A sobering way to spend a coffee break...!
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:For me the biggest hurt is the loss of a trip to Wembley, with my little boy. I so wanted him to be able to say, to his grandchildren, in 70 years time.&quotYou know, I saw Oxford play at Wembley with my dad in it's first year&quot. A one off opportunity, which we could of had and totally muffed it. Deprived of a great day out.
Likewise. The final would've been my daughter's first game.

Because I didn't fancy a drive home which would've seen me getting home at about 1am, I decided to stay at my parents place last night. Had to get up early to drive 2hrs home, grab a quick shower and change of clothes. and dash to the office - a journey made worse by hearing the BBC Oxford breakfast show presenter asking Boris rubbish questions when she clearly knew cock-all about football and one of this God-awful montages where they fade in key commentary points over some maudlin tune.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

It's not even in the papers here.
entirely disenchanted