Bricks

Anything yellow and blue

More nervous before this match or Orient last year?

Exeter 2007
75%
Leyton 2006
25%

Total votes: 16

YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Bricks

Post by YF Dan »

I don't think I was this nervous before the Orient match.

So much depends on this and then next Sunday.

Gulp.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

Definitely Exeter.

The Orient game had an air of inevitability about it. I had pretty much accepted we were going down before the game.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Defo Orient. The thought of losing our league place was horrific.

The thought of regaining it is exciting.

I prefer excited nervousness to horrific nervousness.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I think I'm always more nervous before crunch promotion games rather than crunch relegation games. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I feel more for a team that has done well during a season - I'd feel worse for them at the idea of a good season that doesn't quite come off, than at a team who'd cocked up a whole season and were getting &quotwhat they deserved&quot in some sense.

The most nervous I've ever been was before that Peterborough promotion match. I'm not coming close to that this time (yet).
Last edited by Jimski on Tue May 08, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re: Bricks

Post by A-Ro »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:So much depends on this and then next Sunday.
Why? what are you doing next Sunday?

I'd be more worried about the Sunday after myself.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Orient was out of our hands.

Tonight we control the board and it is ours to cock up.

So tonight is more scary for me.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Definitely more scary today. Bricking it to be honest!
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

For me, the Orient game and the lead up to it was all a bit of a blur. Yes, I was nervous, but there was an aura of unreality about it, almost like there was no way we would really be relegated. Not to the Conference. Not Oxford.

However, with this game I really am shitting it (not literally, I hasten to add). Partly because of the weight of expectation, partly because of the thought of another year in the Conference, partly because my best mate is an Exeter fan and will be sitting next to me, and partly because of Oxford's undoubted ability to fuck it up when the chips are down.

I've really tried to envision how I'm going to be feeling this evening, and unfortunately the only scenario that has an element of reality to it is the one that has the Exeter supporters celebrating at the end. That's not a prediction by the way, it's just that I can't remember what it feels like to celebrate an Oxford success!
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I actually really enjoyed the Orient game, one of the best games of football I've ever seen in terms of drama and tension, but I had accepted that relegation was going to happen (the precise moment was the Jon Ashton inspired 2-1 defeat at Stockport) so I had an air of detachment.

I'm pretty certain I won't get the same enjoyment from todays game even if we win it. I'm much more nervous than I was for the first leg.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I was just thinking this exactly -

Last time, the likely result was negative, with an outside chance of clawing success -
This time, all (neutral) indications are postive, but we all know that the 'outside' chance of clawing disaster from success looms large...

Similarly, last time was straightforward - win or bust, this time the permetations and strategies are manyfold, and at times it has been our inability to implement specific strategies that has been our downfall.

Trying not to think about it - but can think about nothing else
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

I think I'm more excited that nervous. I'm clock watching in anticipation.

The &quotW&quot word has been banned in our house, no mention of it over the weekend. This morning, when driving to work, I was thinking that I'd do my best to get on, keep busy and defer all the excitement, nerves and tension until tonight. It was at this point I took a call from a colleague, who was completely oblivious to all things football and our situation. Her first words ..... &quotHey guess what, I've just driven past the new Wembley stadium&quot. My response ... &quotArghhhhhhh !!!!!!&quot
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

It's no good, I can't sit around here any longer. It's not quite 3pm and it's only an hours drive but I'm off ...
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

orient - as mooro said, a more straightforward scenario - all we could do was try and win. we had to attack. however, i think the thought of failure was more terrifying as it was relegation to the 'unknown'.

exeter - i'm nervous about how the team will approach the game, and whether attack or defence is the best strategy (of course, the right strategy is the one that sees us to wembley :roll:). the thought of failure is something we can envisage all too well - hello again crawley.

in short - god knows. is it four o'clock yet?
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Unlike Boris I am quite literally shitting it.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Unlike Boris I am quite literally shitting it.
Wireless connection and a laptop I presume then!