Ethical dilemma : Slumdon or Franchise?

Anything yellow and blue

Who would you prefer to go up - Slumdon or Franchise?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:02 pm

Slumdon
64%
Franchise
36%

Total votes: 22

Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Anyone else just watched Sea of Souls?
Not &quotjust watched&quot but yes, pretty creepy all the way through but a weak ending.

imho
Transfer of soul = transfer of football club. Pure evil.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Anyone else just watched Sea of Souls?
Not &quotjust watched&quot but yes, pretty creepy all the way through but a weak ending.

imho
Transfer of soul = transfer of football club. Pure evil.
Doh!

Missed the point of that post completely. I thought we'd turned into a confguide type forum all of a sudden.

Yes I post there as well.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quottrevor l&quot wrote:It’s not a case of there were no rules in place to stop it at the time DLT, rather that the rule book was thrown out of the window by the FA and the Football League. After initially throwing out the application to go to MK according to its rule book which prohibited movement of a club outside its area, Charles Koppel appealed and the League agreed to FA arbitration. Charles Hollander as the legal adviser, David Dein (amazing how these figures crop up in different contexts in football) and Douglas Craig (he of selling the York City ground fame) formed the arbitration panel. These three (on the face of it a fairly safe selection to permit the move) met and failed to make a decision, referring the matter back to the League for a third try. The League then asked the FA to set up an independent panel, which is the stage at which the aforementioned non-football-person Raj Parker, Steve Stride (operations director at Aston Villa at the time) and Alan Turvey (chairman of the Ryman League) were appointed. In the end in May 2002 they decided by 2-1 to permit the move. The votes have never been revealed, though Turvey is thought/assumed to have been the one who voted against.

The fundamental point I draw from this (apart from the completely unacceptable decision) is that while there may be a rule book, it seems it is not something to be relied on and when convenient to the powers that be it will be ignored, or ways round the rules will be found until the required decision is arrived at. In this case it took three attempts to engineer a decision which suited the suits (if you see what I mean).
Thanks Trevor. Very informative stuff.

So there were rules, but they didn't work! Notmuch point to them then. Have they been changed/tightened since?

As you point out, it was quite possibly the legal advisor who decided to let the move go ahead. Which might (and I say might) have indicated that the legal advisor felt the rules wouldn't stand up to legal inspection.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotDLT&quot][
Thanks Trevor. Very informative stuff.

quote]

I'll second that.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Well, the majority of you got your wish. You must be very happy! :lol:
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Well, that’s all done then, and yes, I’m happy for Slumdon to go up if it means that Franchise FC don’t - though of course FFC may well still go up in a glorious Wembley Final that will bring in a shed load of income to the odious Pete Winkleman.

/

Who would people like to go down with Torquay - Wrexham or Boston United?
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Well, that’s all done then, and yes, I’m happy for Slumdon to go up if it means that Franchise FC don’t - though of course FFC may well still go up in a glorious Wembley Final that will bring in a shed load of income to the odious Pete Winkleman.

/

Who would people like to go down with Torquay - Wrexham or Boston United?
Accrington. Poetic justice for us. Or Boston - who are admittedly - odious.

I note Macc are falling off a cliff as well agian.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Macc and Acc play each other this Saturday, but because Wrexham entertain Boston on the last day of the season at the Racecourse Ground I think thatÔÇÖs where it will be all sorted out in front of 15,000 people.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

&quotWrexham entertain Boston on the last day of the season at the Racecourse Ground ...&quot

I genuinely didn't know that.

Isn't it amazing how often fixtures like this crop up on the last day of the season?

I really hope Boston go down. They cheated their way up, and it will be a sweet justice to see them replaced by D &amp R.

I bear no grudge against Accrington, and am a fan of the Racecourse Ground (even though we never win there).
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I also bear no grudge against Accrington, but I am concerned that if they don't get relegated it would stymie our promotion bid, as we are obviously fated never to play each other [/superstitious mode]

If we do go up, Accrington will actually be the first away fixture that I look for, as a must-visit ground (I can't see them staying up another season). I have also never been to Hereford (amazingly enough), nor Darlo's new ground, so they will also be firmly inked into my diary. I have yet to make a decision on Franchise (assuming they blow it in the play-offs). Will Shrewsbury's new ground be ready for next season?

Of course, I might instead be looking up directions to Histon and Droylsden, just to keep our feet on terra firma for a minute.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

To try and counteract the bad luck we will undoubtedly get after talking about promotion so much I've looked up Droylsden on Streetmap, it's just around the M60 from Stockport.

Deep joy another trip up North.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I enjoy a good away trip up North, me.

Southport has been my favourite away trip for a while: getting drunk in Liverpool among Barcelona fans and &quotscouse&quot daytrippers, getting more drunk in Southport, winning, excellent chips, further drinks in some truly ridiculous Southport nightspots, waking up feeling like death.

I've actually enjoyed this season more than most thinking about it. The football hasn't been too bad....I reckon you could easily swap the top 12 teams in the Conference for the bottom 12 teams in Div 4 without any change in quality to either division.

The grounds have been a mixture of good, bad and hilarious, much like Div 4. Only Tamworth, Gravesend and St Albans have been truly awful, but then so is gay Meadow, Moss Rose and Boston's ground (whose name temporarily escapes me).

BBC Oxford, Sky and Yellow monster have luckily covered the lack of media coverage issue between them.

It's been cheaper to get in everywhere, there are fewer idiots and a higher percentage of &quotgenuine&quot fans.

Nope, Ive quite enjoyed this Conference lark. I desperately want it to end in glory on May 20th obviously, but I'll tell the tale in years to come with fondness.

In fact, I might start a new thread.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotboris&quot wrote: Of course, I might instead be looking up directions to Histon and Droylsden
I used to live in the next village along from Histon.
entirely disenchanted
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

If the Accrington / Oxford switch last season was pre-ordained, then surely Boston need to swap with Dagenham in the same way...

..this has of course started me wondering as to who would be the pre-ordained swapee for Torquay - Exeter for the SW connection?

Of course, if it is Torquay and Wrexham and we do go up, it will be two clubs who have spent part of the season managed by former Oxford managers, replaced by a team STILL managed by a former Oxford manager....

In terms of which teams I would have wanted, in line with a thread from many months ago, I would have to say Boston (who are just generally hated) first, then any of the myriad of north-western sides that are down there every year (Bury, Macclesfield, Rochdale etc) - just to clear things out a bit.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:If the Accrington / Oxford switch last season was pre-ordained, then surely Boston need to swap with Dagenham in the same way...

..this has of course started me wondering as to who would be the pre-ordained swapee for Torquay - Exeter for the SW connection?

Of course, if it is Torquay and Wrexham and we do go up, it will be two clubs who have spent part of the season managed by former Oxford managers, replaced by a team STILL managed by a former Oxford manager....

In terms of which teams I would have wanted, in line with a thread from many months ago, I would have to say Boston (who are just generally hated) first, then any of the myriad of north-western sides that are down there every year (Bury, Macclesfield, Rochdale etc) - just to clear things out a bit.

But Acc and OUFC is maybe pre-ordained as well.....