who would you play up front tonight?

Anything yellow and blue
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Isaac »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:Can anybody actually say what formation we were playing at the start of the game? I certainly can't! With 3 centre-halfs and, nominally. two wing-backs, it suggested 5-3-2, but Yemi and Burge were clearly playing wide with Zebedee in the middle, so 5-4-1?

Or was it a lopside 5-3-2/4-4-2 amalgum with Burgess doing the left wing-back job?

We were clearly most threatening after Duffy and Smokey came on and able to offer some serious aerial challenge up front. Pity about the semi-panic at the back - there was a sense of inevitability that they would equalise. Not a foul on Quinn in my opinion, just the Daggenham player quicker to the ball as Quinn swung his hoof at it.

Yemi's second must be in contention for goal of the season - shot from that far out on his &quotwrong&quot foot. Genius.
It was 3-4-3 (Sky agreed), but with Odubade and Burgess wide right and left. Zebowski isn't a target man but that formation meant he had to play as one, from the Halifax game I got the impression he was more of a Yemi style player than a Marvin/Duffy, quick and more effective down the channels than holding the ball up.

As for the Quinn foul, I don't think the Dagenham player touched the ball until he made the pass, he came from behind Quinn, caught his foot as he was trying to clear the ball and took advantage of the loose ball.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re:

Post by Shoobedoo »

&quotMally&quot wrote:Up front Duffy and Robinson seemed to work well together when they came on.
There were a couple of occasions where the two of them went for the same header and got in each others' way. They need to work at that.

One thing I did notice last night about Marv is that he's good at winning free-kicks outside the area - there's a touch of the Emile Heskey about him in that respect (ie. he falls over at the slightest touch :lol: ).

Duff needs a goal to get that swagger back. Can't see him starting on Saturday Marv and Yemi for me - unless he puts Yemi wide again in which case it's more likely to be Marv and Zeb.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I watched this on the tv, I didn't think it was as great a game as others have indicated here (I guess this is the atmosphere/live game discussion we had after halifax), the first half was pretty poor, D&ampR looked to be coasting really. The 3-4-3 failed miserably and our midfield was totally swamped. A criticism of Smith could be that he could have changed it in the first half, Burgess never saw the ball wide left, we were almost playing with 10 men.

It was only the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half and after Duffy and Robinson came on that we really looked like scoring, along with Hargreaves we finally had some physical presence in the side, after that D&ampR looked very flustered. Thought the late equaliser by D&ampR involved a foul on Quinn, but you could sense the equaliser was coming. Gilchirst had a very good opportunity to clear but just sliced it. We didn't have to best fortune with the decisions, I thought Yemi's third should have stood since Marvin looked onside to me.

Generally though, a positive performance, it was encouraging to come back from a goal down against a pretty decent side and the way we laid seige for 15 minutes in the 2nd half should give the side confidence in similar situations that will doubtless crop up in the remainder of the season.
I quite enjoyed this game on the box. First half Rose wasn't too effective in the centre and Burgess and Yemi were wasted playing so wide as we continually tried to play through the middle. That's why D&ampR were looking comfortable, we made ti too easy for them.

2nd half we changed it around beautifully and we really should have won in the end. Cracking competitive match though.

Their second didn't look to be a foul. Quinn took way too long clearing the ball, and their striker stuck his foot through and tapped it away from Quinn and the rest is history.

Their first goal was just poor marking on our part.

Loved Yemi's goals, both really good hits.

Hopefully we can carry that standard over into the remaining fixtures and we should be OK for the play offs.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

1. it was awful defending and the ball should have a) been cleared and b) never been back there in the first place.
However, we do have the meanest defence in the league so you can't be overly critical of them this season (except at corners).

2. How can a manager go on and on at the start of the season about needing a 20-goal-a-season player and then leave him on the bench, after a two match rest, against the top club in a 'big game' at home? for me Duffy was the difference as he is able to hold the ball up and flick it on for Yemi. I just feel that they have an understanding that can only be created from playing more than 10 games together.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

It's interesting how much better Jim and the team do when against opposition that actually want 3 points rather than settling for 1.

Shame about the result - we ought to have enough experience at the back not to panic like that. But a good performance that bodes well for the playoffs, and one point's better than none.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

But what a great game. Second half was like being at the Manor, I swear the pitch started sloping after our first goal! I like to see Burgess in the middle with Hargreaves behind him, and Jim certainly got it right there, though God knows what the idea was in the first half. Yemi - fantastic. What were Sky saying about him?

I thought the summary was a bit harsh on Daggers, they certainly got it forward quickly but they kept it low, and they had an incredible spirit and unity. I admired the way they attacked and defended en masse, that reminded me of the Crewe side of a few years back.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:But what a great game. Second half was like being at the Manor, I swear the pitch started sloping after our first goal! I like to see Burgess in the middle with Hargreaves behind him, and Jim certainly got it right there, though God knows what the idea was in the first half. Yemi - fantastic. What were Sky saying about him?

I thought the summary was a bit harsh on Daggers, they certainly got it forward quickly but they kept it low, and they had an incredible spirit and unity. I admired the way they attacked and defended en masse, that reminded me of the Crewe side of a few years back.
Sky said &quotYemi - fantastic&quot. You don't work for them do you? :lol: Yemi was Sky MotM.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I'm sorry but I don't agree with much of this, in my view Smith came out looking bad last night. It was obvious after about 15 minutes that sticking Burgess on the left touchline no matter where the ball was and Yemi miles away from Zeb was not going to work (in all honesty it was obvious to me after 2 minutes that this wouldn't work).

Zeb is not a target man, we don't play passing football and spend much of the game whacking it up to him he only won 20% of his headers and I can only remember 2 that found a Oxford shirt - not his fault mind more the tactics as no-one near him.

The game was crying out for Duffy or even Marv and so it proved when they were both brought on. Smith was forced into going all out attack and I think Duffy and Yemi up front from the start would have won us the match. I really fail to see why a player with over 20 goals to his name, our one decent target man who casued Daggers no end of problems in previous games was left on the bench for a player who has not got used to the team and is not match fit.

And then when we got the lead he left 3 up front giving Eddie no support and wonders why a man was left free in the box - it was because they were attacking!!

I was also annoyed by the lack of support Duffy got from the fans, can anyone name one other 20 goal a season player who wouldn't have his name chanted as he was warming up - even Jemmo was and he was 10 times as arrogant.

The game was there for the taking from the off, yet we sat back gave the ball away used a new formation which never looked like working and let them dominate most of the game, not a good advert for Smith.

Still it was a cracking half hour once we worked out what needed to be done.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

yes- if the game had been flipped on it's head and the forst 30 mins were awesome, but the last 60 dire there would be a different mood on this forum.

a lot of football is lost in the memory after a final 30 mins like that.

However, it does show that if we go into the playoffs with an attack-minded team, we should have a real shot at it.
Frank
Puberty

Re:

Post by Frank »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:But what a great game. Second half was like being at the Manor, I swear the pitch started sloping after our first goal! I like to see Burgess in the middle with Hargreaves behind him, and Jim certainly got it right there, though God knows what the idea was in the first half. Yemi - fantastic. What were Sky saying about him?

Sky said &quotYemi - fantastic&quot. You don't work for them do you? :lol: Yemi was Sky MotM.
Isn't Yemi OOC at the end of the season ?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:I'm sorry but I don't agree with much of this, in my view Smith came out looking bad last night. It was obvious after about 15 minutes that sticking Burgess on the left touchline no matter where the ball was and Yemi miles away from Zeb was not going to work (in all honesty it was obvious to me after 2 minutes that this wouldn't work).

Zeb is not a target man, we don't play passing football and spend much of the game whacking it up to him he only won 20% of his headers and I can only remember 2 that found a Oxford shirt - not his fault mind more the tactics as no-one near him.

The game was crying out for Duffy or even Marv and so it proved when they were both brought on. Smith was forced into going all out attack and I think Duffy and Yemi up front from the start would have won us the match. I really fail to see why a player with over 20 goals to his name, our one decent target man who casued Daggers no end of problems in previous games was left on the bench for a player who has not got used to the team and is not match fit.

And then when we got the lead he left 3 up front giving Eddie no support and wonders why a man was left free in the box - it was because they were attacking!!

I was also annoyed by the lack of support Duffy got from the fans, can anyone name one other 20 goal a season player who wouldn't have his name chanted as he was warming up - even Jemmo was and he was 10 times as arrogant.

The game was there for the taking from the off, yet we sat back gave the ball away used a new formation which never looked like working and let them dominate most of the game, not a good advert for Smith.

Lets not start the Duffy debate again or I'll be forced to mention that he only touched the ball about 3 times from the time he came on. And Marv was hopeless.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:I'm sorry but I don't agree with much of this, in my view Smith came out looking bad last night. It was obvious after about 15 minutes that sticking Burgess on the left touchline no matter where the ball was and Yemi miles away from Zeb was not going to work (in all honesty it was obvious to me after 2 minutes that this wouldn't work).

Lets not start the Duffy debate again or I'll be forced to mention that he only touched the ball about 3 times from the time he came on. And Marv was hopeless.
Er. Marv was fine. He put himself about pretty effectively. Duffy did very little. Quinn goofed twice for their equaliser. Crap clearance and then allowed himself to be dispossessed on edge of area. Not a foul from what I could see.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Well Duffy was involved in the build up to the first goal because he brought the ball down held it up and then gave it to a Oxford player thus enabling us to attack in numbers - something that no-one else had been able to do all night.

But hey Marv and Duffy doing nothing..........it must have been luck that changed the game when they came on!!
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Yes Quinn did screw up twice for their equaliser but he had a good game for 89 minutes and has been one of our better players this season. As Jim Smith said the ball shouldn't have been there in the first place though. What he meant by this was that if Gilly hadn't given the ball away by hoofing it out for a throw in 30 seconds earlier we would still have had posession.

I watched the end of the game on sky plus when I got home. Gilly hoofs the ball out whilst under the slightest pressure and the camera then cuts to Jim Smith fuming on the touchline.