Wow

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Wow

Post by GodalmingYellow »

What a top performance.

We made an in form Stevenage team look very poor.

Just a shame about Dolce &amp Gabanna
frankie
Sperm

Post by frankie »

must keep rose if we can, .. the best weve got. Day looked ok, but we still look poor at the back.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Wow

Post by Sideshow Rob »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:What a top performance.

We made an in form Stevenage team look very poor.

Just a shame about Dolce &amp Gabanna
Dolce e Gabanna surely? Wonderful to see us completely pass a team off the pitch. Great movement, we always seemed to have a couple of options today and the pressure on the ball when we were not in possession was first class.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I was going to title my comments 'Wow'.

I really can't think back to a more pleasing display in years. I bet Paul Powell was at the Manor though when it happened.

I don't want to criticise any performance today (though Robinson wasn't up to the standard of the rest).

I have said we need Burgess's skill and creativity to get us out of the division and I think he proved my point today.

Rose's improvement on recent performances was huge. You could almost think he had a career in the Championship ahead of him today (last few weeks I didn't think it was even Conference).

Foster was abrasive, in a far more constructive way than Hargreaves ever was. All the Hargreaves fans notice the difference today? Four midfielders capable of passing and moving 'off' the ball. Might be we never see 'Greavsie' again.

Eddie is still frustratingly weak in a challenge. But he is a slippery fecker.

Yemi. Excellent. But still needs to learn, that ridiculous 70 yard chase of a lost cause left him breathless for 5 minutes and meant he wasn't in position soon after to take advantage of a good move. Why does Jim 'ball' him out so much more than any other player.

Duffy. Unusually missed a sitter. But looked to hold the ball up on the floor much better today. Actually had the humility to apologise for missing the sitter and didn't spend all the game trying to suck in silly free kicks from the ref.

Day was caught for pace in the first few minutes, but he adjusted and stuck to his task. More mobile than Quinny. I like him.

Corcoran and Gilly. Excellent, complimentary partnership. Jerome is right, the club must find a way to ensure Corcoran is available for the play offs.

Johnson. Shoved my criticism right down my throat. But it is so much easier to look a good player if you have Burgess's brain in front of you.

Turley. Charge him admission fee for today.
frankie
Sperm

Post by frankie »

get off this site .. you pratt.
it is so clear that you are only a recent fan.( 30 years or less ).
keep your dour thoughts to yourself.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Now that we’ve got back to our normal form it’s all building up nicely for the play-offs unless D&ampR’s recent results (W11, D3, L2) collapses as dramatically as ours did only a short while ago.

MotM for me today was their keeper, but Yemi and Fast Eddie pushed him close for that honour with their effort and never-say-die attitude, which is exactly what we have to do until the Fat Lady sings on our automatic promotion chances.

Studying the fixtures more closely, after the D&ampR home game the final set of games after that don’t look so bad, assuming that York City are safe in a play-off place by the time we go up to KitKat Crescent (sponsored by Nestle)

/

It was a revealing interview with Jim Smith on RadOx straight after the game. Should someone tell him how many games we have still left to play in this horrible division and how the loan system operates at this level?

The Darren Patterson interview shortly afterwards was much more inspiring, imho, so it’s good to know that we have management strength in depth at Oxford United.

/

Speaking of the loan system, it looks like we may lose Corcoran at the end of the month, and that’s a bit of a worry, but at least we’re still able to pick up any out of contract (and presumably quite desperate out of work players) and use the wages that are released on them instead as the finishing post looms closer.

/

Last night I dreamt that Duffy missed the deciding penalty in the Conference play-off final at the new Wembley, so ensuring that this will never happen.

/

They brought 519 fans and only one of them had a drum, but they almost out shouted us, even though they got well and truly stuffed, so I still think we should experiment just the once with one of those annoying things.. (anything for a bit of debate eh?)
Last edited by Snake on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Mostly been said. After the first five mins when they looked threatening and Day got well &amp truly shown up for pace we took control. We had movement, plenty of players wanting the ball which was passed well and effectively, and a fair few that seemed to be able to beat opponents. The confidence level was high and as well as scoring two, their keeper was the best we’ve seen, we hit the post twice and had a number of other efforts scrammbled away. In contrast Turley never had a shot worthy of the name to save.
“We still look poor at the back
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Post by Resurrection Ox »

Don't disagree with much of this. Looks like we 've nearly found our best team I would slot in Quinn for Day.

Burgess did very well. He appeared to have been told to cut out the 'fancy flicks' that irritate so much.

Credit to managment for acting so quickly to improve the team and introduce legs and youth after Rushden debacle. And heart - ie Foster. I would not like to play aginst this awkward little customer. Bit of a Denis Wise isn't he?

And well played Duffy. His best all round contribution this season.

Good tactics and good workrate against one of the best teams in the Conference.

As for D and R. Well in order to have a chance we need to have got the gap down to 7 by the time we play them. If its still 10 (or more) by 26 March then forget it.

Very enjoyable yesterday. Apart from that tedious drum.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

&quotAs for D and R. Well in order to have a chance we need to have got the gap down to 7 by the time we play them. If its still 10 (or more) by 26 March then forget it. &quot

On that perfomance, I believe the gap will be less than 10 by the time we play them but even if we draw with D&ampR they have 4 games in 8 days in April and it won't all be over. A few injuries and they will struggle on the run-in. With firmer pitches we will only get better. The B&ampB in York already booked might still be worth it.

Duffy. Well his general play was better but he still did not convince me he is a natural goal-scorer in open play. Apart from the glaring miss with the header and two tame shots there was an opportunity in the second half to launch himself at a cross but he managed to stand and watch.

Marv was awful. Grebis would be better but how long before Bash can come off the bench and link up play against tiring opposition?

Day is much better on the left so I would put him there for the still eratic Johnson when Quinn returns. The defence was very good but remember that they were missing Morrison.

But hey enough nit-picking. I had a warm glow travelling home last night for the first time in a long long time.
Last edited by Boogie on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:Apart from that tedious drum.
Isn't that where the Pink Panther lives?
entirely disenchanted
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote: Credit to managment for acting so quickly to improve the team and introduce legs and youth after Rushden debacle.
Shame though that it took him almost 3 months to switch to 4-4-2 and realise we haven't got anybody who who can play wing back
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMally&quot wrote: Shame though that it took him almost 3 months to switch to 4-4-2 and realise we haven't got anybody who who can play wing back
What a spot on comment.

Duffy's finishing yesterday was poor. But I would bet that if he got the same chances again in the next match he would score one or two of them.

Foster like Denis Wise - and closer to home, Martin Gray? I think Foster can play a bit too. I thought he was rather unlucky to get booked, then lucky not to get a second yellow.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Watching Anaclet become a real attacking force since moving to right-mid has been one of the most pleasing aspects of our revival. 3 goals in 4 games (he played RB at Aldershot). What was Smith thinking of for the first 31 games?
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote: Credit to managment for acting so quickly to improve the team and introduce legs and youth after Rushden debacle.
Shame though that it took him almost 3 months to switch to 4-4-2 and realise we haven't got anybody who who can play wing back
Yes - ok the failure to change tactics could cost us our league place. Which is irritating.

But it's not just 4-4-2 is it? It's getting young legs into the side as well.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:
Foster like Denis Wise - and closer to home, Martin Gray? I think Foster can play a bit too. I thought he was rather unlucky to get booked, then lucky not to get a second yellow.
Obviously Gray played at a much higher level, but Foster seems much better with the ball than Martin Gray. I think he reminds me of Les Phillips.

4 4 2 has made a difference but I think that Corcorran has been the main one that has made a difference. At the start of the season we conceded hardly any goals. One was normally enough. In our bad period we started letting in lots of sloppy goals normally from set pieces.

Since Corcorran has been here, the sloppy goals have stopped. Gilchrist suddenly looks a very good player again.