Duffy

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:I don't quite get the relavence of Duffy scoring a hat-trick in one game and a brace in another. They were still goals from open play, they were still important to the result of the game and they are just as important as games where only one goal was scored.
My original point was that in my opinion Duffy would have put at least one of the chances Yemi had away hence finishing off the game (and the fact he had all ready scored wouldn't mean that it would have counted for less). This is of course irrelivent as Duffy wouldn't have got in those positions in the first place, but the chance he got, he finished.
Yes, thinking about it you are right. For the purpose of determining finishing ability, number of games that the goals were scored in is irrelevant. In a goal scoring situation, my money would be on Duffy ahead of Yemi, but my money would be on Yemi to get in the goal scoring position more often than Duffy. Not sure what conclusion we can draw from all this mind, except that if we could get Duffy to move a bit more, we'd probably score a lot more goals, and if we could get Yemi to make the right choice, shoot or pass, we would also score a lot more goals.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Yes, thinking about it you are right. For the purpose of determining finishing ability, number of games that the goals were scored in is irrelevant.
As with everything, I don't think it's that simple - and I think the original point about Duffy only scoring from x number of games holds some water.

Scoring consistently over a number of games is a better indicator of finishing ability as it smooths out the principal confounding factor - the opposition being particularly rubbish.

I had this debate a while back with someone who suggested we should sign Juan Ugarte as he'd just scored 22 goals in a season. Of those 22, 15 came in just 4 games (one with 5, one with 4 and two hat-tricks). A nice goal return, but didn't amass many points over the season.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Just to take this in a different direction......

What do we think Duffy is costing us in wages/fee against i) our other strikers and ii) the other main strikers in the Conference this year iii) the other more prolific League strikers that were suggested we go for at various points?

Is he therefore proving better value than others around him and has any money saved enabled us to be stronger elsewhere on the field than we would otherwise?

My guess would be more than Yemi, but less than Bash, Grebis or Marvin, and also less than would probably have to pay Mcdonald et al were we to try bringing them here, but maybe not....
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Just to take this in a different direction......

What do we think Duffy is costing us in wages/fee against i) our other strikers and ii) the other main strikers in the Conference this year iii) the other more prolific League strikers that were suggested we go for at various points?

Is he therefore proving better value than others around him and has any money saved enabled us to be stronger elsewhere on the field than we would otherwise?

My guess would be more than Yemi, but less than Bash, Grebis or Marvin, and also less than would probably have to pay Mcdonald et al were we to try bringing them here, but maybe not....
I would guess similar to Yemi, but less than the other &quotexperienced&quot players.

Not so sure about McDonald and others of his ability. How do Gravesend afford his wages on their crowds if he is expensive?
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:Just to take this in a different direction......

I would guess similar to Yemi, but less than the other &quotexperienced&quot players.

Not so sure about McDonald and others of his ability. How do Gravesend afford his wages on their crowds if he is expensive?
GY I think it is expectation levels.

Macdonald might be on a very modest wage at Gravesend,but if he wasto come here he would 'expect' significantly more.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Having missed this game (we were always going to win because of this) I can only go on the reports - Duffy scored one, got a player sent off and set Yemi up for a very good chance whilst not being at 100%. I don't really care what else he did in the game this is a far bigger contribution and more significant contribution then any other player usually makes.

I therefore find it amazing that he has to make a comment in his interview about some supporters not understanding when a player is not 100%.

I think we all agree that he is the best striker at the club, one of the best at our level and without his goals we'd be mid table.

So can we move onto something else now - I find it hard to believe, and I'm sure he does too, how much scrutiny our best player comes under - for example a poll asking if he'd be our first choice in the team - how anyone can vote no is beyond me.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotGodalmingYellow
If Duffy playing 2 or 3 neat passes and scoring a good goal is sufficient contribution for some, then I can understand why we disagree. He's like a subbuteo player, only moves when he's forced to, otherwise his feet are set in concrete, or plastic to continue the analogy.
[/quote]

Well yes it would be seeing as no one else scored - without him we would have probably dropped two more points. But you have conveniently choosen to ignore the rest of his contribution - balls won in the air and knocks taken for the cause. Oh, have just seen Ty's post - which I agree with - time to move on. Until we scrutinise his performance on Saturday with a fine tooth comb no doubt.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Having missed this game (we were always going to win because of this) I can only go on the reports - Duffy scored one, got a player sent off and set Yemi up for a very good chance whilst not being at 100%. I don't really care what else he did in the game this is a far bigger contribution and more significant contribution then any other player usually makes.
Well this explains why we don't necessarily agree on how good Duffy is or isn't.
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:I think we all agree that he is the best striker at the club, one of the best at our level and without his goals we'd be mid table.
I don't think we do all agree with that. Many of us may agree he is the best finisher we have. Further than that is stretching it a bit.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:[quote=&quotGodalmingYellow
If Duffy playing 2 or 3 neat passes and scoring a good goal is sufficient contribution for some, then I can understand why we disagree. He's like a subbuteo player, only moves when he's forced to, otherwise his feet are set in concrete, or plastic to continue the analogy.
Well yes it would be seeing as no one else scored - without him we would have probably dropped two more points. But you have conveniently choosen to ignore the rest of his contribution - balls won in the air and knocks taken for the cause. Oh, have just seen Ty's post - which I agree with - time to move on. Until we scrutinise his performance on Saturday with a fine tooth comb no doubt.[/quote]

Well its pure speculation to say without him we wouldn't have scored. Just because in the circumstances that arose, Duffy was the one to score is a very long way from saying no one else would have scored.

And I haven't conveniently forgotten anything, I just don't agree that his contribution was as you have described.

I agree though that this has been done to death. I think it is reasonably accepted that our best strikeforce is Duffy and Yemi, and we aren't going to get anything better this season.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:[quote=&quotGodalmingYellow
Well yes it would be seeing as no one else scored - without him we would have probably dropped two more points. But you have conveniently choosen to ignore the rest of his contribution - balls won in the air and knocks taken for the cause. Oh, have just seen Ty's post - which I agree with - time to move on. Until we scrutinise his performance on Saturday with a fine tooth comb no doubt.
Well its pure speculation to say without him we wouldn't have scored. Just because in the circumstances that arose, Duffy was the one to score is a very long way from saying no one else would have scored.

And I haven't conveniently forgotten anything, I just don't agree that his contribution was as you have described.

I agree though that this has been done to death. I think it is reasonably accepted that our best strikeforce is Duffy and Yemi, and we aren't going to get anything better this season.[/quote]

Basham and Yemi? (He said... stirring the corpse.)
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotResurrection Ox
Basham and Yemi? (He said... stirring the corpse.)[/quote]

Well they were the combination at Cambridge.

Can Quinn play left back?
Anaclet right back? Yemi wide right with a front two of Bash &amp Duffy?
The stick Bash used to get in the SSU is coming back to me now. It seems at any given point in time we have to have a whipping boy.
I seem to have picked on Brevett whilst many have gone for Duffy and Burgess.

Having now seen the goal on TV (as I often say) - I've had to eat a nice slice of humble pie. When the quick free kick was taken we seemed to be a bit more in control of the situation than I had thought on the day. The pass from Johnson couldn't have been better, nor could Rose's cross &amp without wanting to start any debate over again - I had not realised how good the header actually was.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:Basham and Yemi? (He said... stirring the corpse.)
FFS. Duffy's scoring ratio at Oxford is almost 2 in 3. Basham's is 1 in 4. And he misses penalties. Do you want our forwards to score goals or not?

Duffy wins some balls in the air. Basham does not. Nor does Yemi.

I agree with Ty Cobb. It's a disgrace that Rob Duffy is having to undergo so much scrutiny and criticism for the appalling crime of being by far the best goalscorer at the club, but possibly a little bit lazy.

And now, I promise not to bite on this subject again. Until after Saturday at least.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote: The stick Bash used to get in the SSU is coming back to me now. It seems at any given point in time we have to have a whipping boy.
LOL - you can take the fan out of the Beech Road, but you can't take the Beech Road out of the fan...
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote: The stick Bash used to get in the SSU is coming back to me now.
Ah, yes, but that was justified ... !!
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Hello I'm new, is that allowed? Shame more folk don't use this forum, there must be an alternative to TIU!

I thought Duffy and Yemi both did very well on Saturday in their different ways, but they're not a partnership, are they? They're never anywhere near each other. Duffy and Basham is the only partnership at the club, and I'm not sure we'll see Basham again, which would be a great shame.