Ox Files

Anything yellow and blue
Post Reply
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:02 am

Ox Files

Post by YF Dan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:51 pm

I pitched this as an idea to the club, mostly because I need a hobby to get me through Lockdown III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnZKeKW2UxY

Would love to know your thoughts.

And, as CW says at the end, we're looking for fans to come on the show and talk about their memorable seasons. Send your requests to mbrodetsky@oufc.co.uk.

Shoobedoo
Puberty
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:34 am
Location: Behind the bike shed

Re: Ox Files

Post by Shoobedoo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:48 pm

That was fantastic. Helps that you chose probably my favourite ever season of course (only 83/84 comes close!). Just a shame that there's no footage of that Rosie screamer against Chelsea. I have a feeling I'm going to watch that many times over. Thank you for a little ray of light amongst the prevailing gloom.

But oh my dear Lord, those fences... :shock:

Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2125
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Ox Files

Post by Radley Rambler » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:36 am

Good initiative Dan - great tackles from Trewick and Briggs in the footage. Nice schoolboy humour about Wang as well - fnaarr.

YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:02 am

Re: Ox Files

Post by YF Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:28 pm

Radley Rambler wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:36 am
Nice schoolboy humour about Wang as well - fnaarr.
I love how PR-B totally misses it.

OtmoorYellow
Puberty
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: Ox Files

Post by OtmoorYellow » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:52 am

The Oxford Chelsea goals including Rosie’s goal must be on tape somewhere. Football Focus? Match of the Day?

I’ve checked my collection and whilst I’ve got some 80s tapes, I don’t have that one unfortunately.

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git
Posts: 3000
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:16 pm

Re: Ox Files

Post by Kernow Yellow » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:41 pm

OtmoorYellow wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:52 am
The Oxford Chelsea goals including Rosie’s goal must be on tape somewhere. Football Focus? Match of the Day?

I’ve checked my collection and whilst I’ve got some 80s tapes, I don’t have that one unfortunately.
That was the season of the TV blackout. No televised league or FA Cup games, or even Match of the Day, until January.

recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1793
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:34 am
Location: London

Re: Ox Files

Post by recordmeister » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:35 pm

In lieu of a game yesterday, I watched Ep 2 of Ox Files. A very good episode indeed of the first real season that I remember (in truth, the season before I also remember, but much of it, with the Pergamon Press kit and Mark Stein waiting on the halfway line whenever we defended a corner, so he could use his pace on the counter attack) it was fascinating to hear from Horton (Out) how much players were bought and sold for, and some of the behind-closed-doors info that is still interesting 30 years later!

Was Joey's first goal for the club really a scissor kick?!

Excellent work YFDan on getting this together.

Isaac
Dashing young thing
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 9:32 am

Re: Ox Files

Post by Isaac » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:35 am

I've been watching these, they're very enjoyable and well made - so thanks very much. I thought Brian Horton was far too polite though, really we want the dirt and there must have been plenty, but I suppose you don't have the career in management he did without being politically aware.

The relegation out of the league season brought back a few psychological traumas, I remember particularly the Stockport and Wrexham away games and the sense that relegation was becoming inevitable, despite the fact that really, we should never have been in that position.

My other thought was the Appleton team that got promoted out of league 2 was incredibly strong for that division, I'd argue that team is better than the one we have now (certainly a number of that team are playing at a higher level). I'm surprised, looking back, that we only finished 3rd.

Would think there are a few fairly obvious examples for subsequent seasons, but actually it might be more interesting watching a look back on the bad seasons (first season in the conference for example).

Kairdiff Exile
Dashing young thing
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:59 pm

Re: Ox Files

Post by Kairdiff Exile » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:10 pm

Isaac wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:35 am
My other thought was the Appleton team that got promoted out of league 2 was incredibly strong for that division, I'd argue that team is better than the one we have now (certainly a number of that team are playing at a higher level). I'm surprised, looking back, that we only finished 3rd.
I guess the fact that we had a good run in three cup competitions took its toll a bit. But given it all worked out okay, I wouldn’t swap it. The demolition of Brentford in the League Cup at their place is one of my favourite away days, watching us beat Swansea on live telly with my newborn baby was great, and then of course the trip to Wembley in the FL Trophy. And still winning promotion on top! You don’t get a choice, of course, but I have better memories than I think I would if we’d got knocked out in the first round of each cup competition but won the league.

YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:02 am

Re: Ox Files

Post by YF Dan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:57 pm

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:41 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:52 am
The Oxford Chelsea goals including Rosie’s goal must be on tape somewhere. Football Focus? Match of the Day?

I’ve checked my collection and whilst I’ve got some 80s tapes, I don’t have that one unfortunately.
That was the season of the TV blackout. No televised league or FA Cup games, or even Match of the Day, until January.
I'd urge you, and anyone reading this, to put your old tapes on YouTube if you can. There's lots of places that will digitise your old VHSs, (just be careful you know exactly what you're handing over - not your specialist channel 4 programming) - or worst case scenario, just record them from the screen.

Jim Hendo on YouTube is doing a magnificent job of collecting a load of old material, not just matches but news features. There was a time in the 80s when it appears we were media darlings.

Jim also has a VHS to digital converter. If your VHSs are collecting dust, why not send them to him? I don't know if he's ever on this forum, but he's contactable on Twitter.

Thanks for the nice words about OxFiles. I've enjoyed doing them. We're recording episode 6 tomorrow. No spoilers, but it's a good antidote to the relegation season.

YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:02 am

Re: Ox Files

Post by YF Dan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:59 pm

Isaac wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:35 am
I've been watching these, they're very enjoyable and well made - so thanks very much. I thought Brian Horton was far too polite though, really we want the dirt and there must have been plenty, but I suppose you don't have the career in management he did without being politically aware.

The relegation out of the league season brought back a few psychological traumas, I remember particularly the Stockport and Wrexham away games and the sense that relegation was becoming inevitable, despite the fact that really, we should never have been in that position.

My other thought was the Appleton team that got promoted out of league 2 was incredibly strong for that division, I'd argue that team is better than the one we have now (certainly a number of that team are playing at a higher level). I'm surprised, looking back, that we only finished 3rd.

Would think there are a few fairly obvious examples for subsequent seasons, but actually it might be more interesting watching a look back on the bad seasons (first season in the conference for example).
Bless Brian. He's 71 now, and honestly didn't remember too much. But stuff seemed to come back to him when we started showing some of the games.

YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:02 am

Re: Ox Files

Post by YF Dan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:42 pm

YF Dan wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:57 pm
Kernow Yellow wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:41 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:52 am
The Oxford Chelsea goals including Rosie’s goal must be on tape somewhere. Football Focus? Match of the Day?

I’ve checked my collection and whilst I’ve got some 80s tapes, I don’t have that one unfortunately.
That was the season of the TV blackout. No televised league or FA Cup games, or even Match of the Day, until January.
I'd urge you, and anyone reading this, to put your old tapes on YouTube if you can. There's lots of places that will digitise your old VHSs, (just be careful you know exactly what you're handing over - not your specialist channel 4 programming) - or worst case scenario, just record them from the screen.

Jim Hendo on YouTube is doing a magnificent job of collecting a load of old material, not just matches but news features. There was a time in the 80s when it appears we were media darlings.

Jim also has a VHS to digital converter. If your VHSs are collecting dust, why not send them to him? I don't know if he's ever on this forum, but he's contactable on Twitter.

Thanks for the nice words about OxFiles. I've enjoyed doing them. We're recording episode 6 tomorrow. No spoilers, but it's a good antidote to the relegation season.
And here it is. Recorded before the news of Micky Lewis's tragic death. https://youtu.be/huETew1AhrM

Many happy memories from a great season, although I watched a lot of the crap games and had to go to a wedding on the best.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests