Grumpy old git

Re: Rock Steady Crewe

Post by Radley Rambler »

FFS.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Having messed up big time first time around, they then managed to play on Saturday before something once again going badly wrong, presumably either with their own Covid protocols or with individual players' actions. The trouble is, can we really expect the EFL to take anything like adequate action to get clubs and players to conduct themselves appropriately?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

There is all sorts of conjecture and opinion on the other side but what is bizarre is the complete lack of official statement from either Crewe or the EFL. A major (in my eyes at least) sporting event has not taken place and we don't actually know why........
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

To be honest there's a whole lot of events that aren't happening at the moment, many of them much more important than a 3rd division football match. Yes the circumstances are a bit odd, but apart from not having a game to watch when we were expecting one it's hardly a big deal for us fans is it? No-one who wasn't being paid to be there had travel plans changed or were out of pocket. Any clamour to be awarded the points is very unseemly.

As an aside, my son's U13 team were supposed to have a cup game last Sunday. One of the opposition players was in a bubble at school with a confirmed Covid case, and was therefore told to self-isolate for 14 days, but their team had trained on Friday night shortly before the news of the positive test came through. Both coaches agreed to call the game off. The local FA are now saying it should have gone ahead, and are insisting it is played this weekend. Some parents on both teams seem a little reticent, and it's not clear whether the game will happen, or what will happen if it doesn't. A league game has already been shelved for this week to make way for the re-arranged cup game. I don't care - the risk seems very minimal given there's no suggestion that any players have symptoms. But it would be nice to know whether I've got to travel 1.25 hours each way on Sunday morning and whether my son has a game to get excited about.

In comparison, I really couldn't give a shit what Crewe said to whom and when. There's going to be plenty more of this in the coming months, so I don't know why people are getting so worked up about it. It would be nice to have another game to watch soon, and to give the club another tenner, though after last Saturday I'm not even sure about that.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

iFollow won't be getting another tenner out of me unless I get back the tenner they took for not showing me the Gillingham game.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Geoff wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:28 pm iFollow won't be getting another tenner out of me unless I get back the tenner they took for not showing me the Gillingham game.
Having (much to my surprise) received back my tenner for the Gillingham game, I'm tempted to re-invest in Charlton.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Geoff wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:50 pm
Geoff wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:28 pm iFollow won't be getting another tenner out of me unless I get back the tenner they took for not showing me the Gillingham game.
Having (much to my surprise) received back my tenner for the Gillingham game, I'm tempted to re-invest in Charlton.
Was it worth it?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:25 am
Was it worth it?
I thought the camera angle was rather high, and the audio went unpleasantly robotic a few times for no apparent reason. The football itself went entirely as expected.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Third time unlucky, and what a dismal shambles of a performance that was. It was as poor as I have seen in a ling while. A basic lack of shape. Inability to retain the ball under pressure. We were routinely dispossessed of the ball in 1-2-1 situations, and there routinely seemed no teammate available to pass to. What on earth has happened to our passing game? The only time I saw it was for a brief few minutes late in the second half. The half-time stats were spectacularly dismal and captured so much about the problems, right across the pitch and in all aspects of our play.

I said only recently that I do not believe KR has 'lost the dressing room' and that he should not go. To stick to those views, I would need to know why last night's performance was so lacking in energy and passion, let alone quality. Or were we simply so reliant on Dickie, Brannagan and Henry (when firing on all cylinders) that everyone (including KR?) failed to see the lack of promotion-potential quality elsewhere?
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:25 am
Was it worth it?
No it wasn't worth it. Yet again I was unable to watch the game and had to resort to audio only. I really couldn't be bothered to go through the hassle of reclaiming my money again. Naturally, I shan't be spending any more of my hard earned until the iFollow issues have been resolved.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I had ifollow issues last night, but I put them down to my poor Cornish broadband (though previous games have been fine in that regard). It made a bad experience even more frustrating. But the team have to take the blame for most of that. We were so, so poor.

I actually thought the opening few minutes were the brightest - some nice incisive passing by both sides,and some meaningful attacking play from Us. But it went steadily downhill from there. I was embarrassed that we had to resort to fouling Crewe every 2 minutes just to stop them steamrolling Us.

We were promised an injury-free Henry, but he was completely anonymous until late on. Gorrin had a poor game too - can't believe RadOx wanted to give him MotM, though I suppose no-one else really put their hand up for the award. I think it's the midfield that lets us down more than anything - we're too slow and predictable in our passing, and rely on individual technical brilliance to carve out openings. I was very disappointed in Obita when he came on. And Winnall looks like he's more interested in winding opponents up than playing football. And then he got crocked again. I hope he's not on the Jamie Mackie career trajectory.

One silver lining - Sw*nd*n seem to be in even worse form before our upcoming derby meeting. But I reckon most teams would beat Us if we play like we did last night. Oh well, at least there was a game to watch.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

I agree KY, the midfield looked more at fault than the defence on Tuesday. There was no sense of urgency in midfield. At times the first touches were embarrassing and cost us possession. When our full backs advanced the midfield didn't always look to cover the space they left behind, leaving us open to attack if we lost possession.

I've had no issues watching games via my season ticket, only when I've laid out £10. Makes no sense.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

It took about 10 minutes for the video to begin, but after that it worked ok for me.

I had so many problems with the iFollow service in early games this season that I decided then to pay no more. I’m not reclaiming the costs as it will be the club that suffers, but I’ve already contributed far more than is reasonable given what we are getting in return.

As for the match, and given how one sided it was, I am using the word match loosely, like so many games this season, our players just did not turn up.

Sean Clare, mistake for their first, then despite an opportunity to recover, he just stood watching. I never want to see such lack of commitment again.

I’m not picking on Clare, he was just 1 of 14 making insufficient effort. Crewe weren’t special. Last season we would have annhialated them.

We had no pressing when without the ball, we had no passing when with the ball. We were shocking in both boxes, and I haven’t seen such a poor back line for OUFC since 2005, and we know what happened then.

It is bad enough having to watch on a poor video streaming service, but having to watch that shower is too much.

Our players are unfit and prone to injury, they are slow, they don’t tackle, set up is all wrong.

I need a stadium to shout in.