Implosion!

Anything yellow and blue
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Implosion!

Post by Geoff »

What a disappointing curtain raiser to the league campaign. Plenty of possession but all in front of the opposition. Admittedly Lincoln were always likely to get behind the ball after they'd taken an early lead, but this is a tactic we are likely to come across on a regular basis especially at home. It wasn't until we were two down and the subs came on that we looked like getting behind them. Talk about deja vu. How many times have we experienced this in the past. Have we learnt nothing or am I being too impatient at the start of a new campaign?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Implosion!

Post by recordmeister »

If I’m being polite, I would say that the closeness of the end of last season to the start of this season allows teams less time to evolve and become more refined.

Therefore we are pretty much the same team with pretty much the same tactics and pretty much the same amount of energy (aka none) and pretty much the same weaknesses that lost at Wembley.

Ergo, just play like Wycombe played and you’ll probably beat us. And we lost to 2 goals from two headers.

Again; If I was being kind You would say that being in the play-offs has given an unfair advantage to teams facing us, because they’ve got to see our weaknesses upfront and in full view.

These were clearly taken advantage of yesterday. But it seems we never learn...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

The worry for me was that the most disappointing performances came from our new players. I was excited to see McGuane after pre-season reports, but he did next to nothing all game. Atkinson's runs forward were probably the most incisive aspect of our play, but he gave the ball away for the first goal, and his defensive headers tended to go straight to opposition players in dangerous positions. Presumably he's suspended for a few games now as well? Clare didn't particularly impress with the ball at his feet. Cooper wasn't really on long enough to judge, but I found it odd that whenever we did move the ball to the left wing position after he came on, it was Sam Long trying to get the cross in with Cooper bypassed in the build-up.

Also, Sykes on the left didn't really get into the game at all. On the odd occasion that we strung some passes together quickly we looked very good, but we did so very rarely. Most of our dangerous moments came from Brannagan shooting from distance, which we can't rely on (though at least it poses some kind of threat).

Overall we weren't that bad, but Lincoln certainly deserved the win. Despite paying my tenner, I couldn't really get that worked up about it all. Maybe it's just the start of the season, but this behind-closed-doors football isn't really massively engaging when promotion isn't directly at stake. Not impressed with the ads flashing on screen during the match - they've got all bloody half-time to try and sell us stuff, and it's distracting while play is going on. And I wish the cameraman could have panned out occasionally - he (and we) lost the ball several times through being zoomed in too closely and not seeing where a ricochet was heading. If they're going to charge for showing it they could at least try and make it as good as a single-angle view can be.

Ho hum.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Last week I tried for a few hours to try and connect my pc to the tv to watch the game on the big screen. Despite it being a smart tv, there is no app for Ifollow. Trying the "internet" option and logging into ifollow just left at a spinning wheel on the screen. Perhaps because my pc itself doesn't have wifi I couldn't connect remotely and tried various apps and downloads. Also the pc is upstairs and the tv is downstairs so couldn't link via HDMI and I don't have a laptop. Anyway, I ended up watching the game on the pc which with an HD monitor wasn't too bad, though I have had to get a better chair for sitting down to watch.

This week, a few stumbles getting the app to pay as paypal wouldn't work. And with a bit of help online, found the setting to switch home and away commentary. The picture was decent, I didn't have all the old lag/ pixellation problems I remember from a few years back. Although the half time "switch off Radio Oxford" commentary was a bit suddden.

As for the game, it seemed like Lincoln had watched the play-off final and went for a smash and grab, and defend for the rest of the game with some big strong defenders to clear away any floated corners. We only went for a short corner / passed corner right at the end of the game. I thought the ref should have blown up once our last attack was cleared on 4:30 of the four minutes of added time. But he let it go, and I think Atkinson was lucky to get his red card overturned. It looked to me like he went in recklessly, and was on a yellow card I thought.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

slappy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:04 pm I think Atkinson was lucky to get his red card overturned. It looked to me like he went in recklessly, and was on a yellow card I thought.
Yes I was surprised about that. Not that I thought it was a red card challenge, just that given the way he went in with one foot raised I never thought an appeal would be successful. I also thought he was on a yellow already, but the BBC disagrees:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54038014

So my question about whether the red card was entirely rescinded or downgraded to a yellow is rather moot (at least for now). Anyone know for sure?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I don’t think they ‘adjust’ cards (downgrade a red to a yellow, or vice versa).

The only thing the panel can do is either issue a straight red card (but only on an offence that has not been punished By a yellow card already), or rescind a straight red.

As I understand it you can’t appeal two yellow cards, which seems odd but I guess there is more of a grey area around yellows where as a Straight red card offence Should be pretty cut-and-dry.

I not complaining. With Mosh’s injury last night that would have left us with one centre back for Sat against a somewhat accomplished Black Cats side...
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I thought a straight red was absurdly harsh. That said, as soon as I heard the club was going to appeal I reckoned the straight red would be a blessing in disguise. That could be appealed whereas a second yellow (he definitely had been booked earlier), which would have been appropriate, could not - and it would have guaranteed him missing at least one game. My only concern was that the panel who review these things would be reluctant to overturn the on-field decision. Glad to be wrong on that.

I have not looked back at the incident, but as I recall, whilst his foot was up it was not a flying tackle - and his foot did not make contact with the player.