Playoffs

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Playoffs

Post by ty cobb »

Wow that was stressful. We just knew that one goal more would likely win it so very nervy everytime the ball came near our goal and very much fingers crossed on the few occasions we got it near theirs. I thought Pompy shaded it something like 53%/47% over the two legs. However, our key players like Henry/Taylor were simply not up to speed - not their fault given the lay off but made us a lot less effective. The mark of a good team is grinding out a result when not playing well or when a team is generally on top. We did this across both legs and the pen shout we had was a lot stronger than any of theirs.

For me Gorrin was immense, especially in the second leg. Covered so much ground, broke up play and was always an option to get the ball and keep it safe, a very very good player. Also shout out to Sam Long who after a tricky first leg was fantastic and kept Curtis very quiet - having Sykes in front of him helped a lot, again someone who was very tidy. In fact the whole of the back four were really really solid, aside from Dickie not challenging for the long ball for their goal.

I also heard Cam Bran after the match say he put himself forward to take the last pen as he wanted the burden - this guy is 24 and to take such a good pen under so much pressure WOW.

To be fair to Mackie he did ok for the time he was on - wound them up caused some disruption and meant that when Dan came on his fresh legs gave him an advantage. Fingers crossed Taylor is fit for the final though.

They were a bunch of bullies - they seemed to be able to get away with 4 or 5 fouls before the book came out. We more than stood up to them though and couple of tasty challenges to show we weren't going to just take it

What a massive achievement for both us and Wycombe to get to a play off final given some of the other teams in this league, especially given what happened in the Jan transfer window - well done Robbo and his team - please go and finish the job!

Also why can't we and Wycombe have 20,000 fans for the final, if we can return to pubs surely a 80,000 seater stadium can have some fans in it.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

ty cobb wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:49 am Also why can't we and Wycombe have 20,000 fans for the final, if we can return to pubs surely a 80,000 seater stadium can have some fans in it.
20,000 Wycombe fans? You're joking surely. I had to laugh when Ainsworth said they would have packed Wembley out if fans were allowed in.

My meeting finished in time to watch from about 55 minutes, so I haven't actually seen either goal yet. We definitely finished the stronger team in both normal time and extra time. And how on earth was that not a penalty when Agyei had the shirt pulled off his back? But we never really looked like scoring, which is a worry for the final. Sky commentators and camera work were appalling. I hated watching every minute of it, but that was mainly the nerves. So much more enjoyable being in the ground for big games like this, especially when they go to penalties. Portsmouth were very direct - reminded me of the Millwall side that went up a couple of years back. Luckily they weren't great at set pieces, as we kept obligingly fouling them near the edge of the area. In general we defended well though. I agree that Agyei could make the difference in the final. We looked much more threatening after he came on.

Hey ho, off to Wembley. Except we don't get to go - a bit frustrating that, really. Wycombe won't be pushovers at all. In fact I'd have them as favourites after the semi-finals. Fred Onyedinma looks really useful. One game away from the Championship though. Hard to believe after the last 20 years of OUFC.

COYY
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Well they took 17,000 in 1994 so given its a local derby and their fan base has grown since then in normal times they may have got close! It was more the point that even given firms a generous allocation for their average attendance there should still be plenty of room - a bit of desire to make it happen from those at the top would help, letting fans watch together in pubs but not outside in a massive stadium seems a bit daft to me, but then not much of this governments approach has made much sense!