The C-word

Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: The C-word

Post by Hog »

From an article on BBC Sport on how to decide the final table...

The difference with this compared to null and void is that points achieved to this point do count. To even up the balance wherever clubs have played a different number of games, average number of points per game will be used to decide positions.

This would result in a minor shift in positions. Arsenal would nudge ahead of Tottenham for instance, as would Sheffield United, into sixth, above Wolves. The biggest difference would be in League One, where Wycombe would leap from eighth into third - and potentially a promotion slot if play-offs were scrapped.

Nooooooooooo!!!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Some sobering thoughts about Covid's effect on lower league footballers feature towards the end of this interesting and thought provoking article about Billy Kee:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... bricklayer
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Such a shame that such a close race to the season will be decided partly off the pitch and in front of empty stands - we had some awesome games in the run in.

I do feel sorry for Tranmere who had won their last three games (all away as well) and Pboro who really were good enough for a play off spot. The game Wycombe have in hand is away to Cov I believe, and the solution will give both teams combined more than the 3 on offer from the game - it should be weighted PPG and I haven't seen a good argument against that.

I don't agree with calling it a day completely, we have had 35 games, this is enough to finish the season and those who have had a good season should be rewarded, those who have been awful should suffer relegation.

Huge worry about how the teams will survive, especially us who have to pay a huge amount of rent to play in a empty stadium. Perhaps now is the time to call it a day on the Kassam and go to a virtual model from the training ground where we can all pay a tenner to watch it on TV (am joking - albeit we would be better off).

Given the complete balls up the government have made during the last few months I can't see socially distancing being lifted anytime soon which means no-one at stadiums for a long time, how will we keep the lights on - the fact we have been able to do it so far is great credit to Tiger and his backers, fingers crossed it continues. The TV money from the championship next year will be massive and given clubs much bigger than us won't be getting income from a much bigger stadium it may not be such a un-level playing as we would have faced.

Getting ahead of ourselves though, first Pompy (the hardest team in the play offs I think) and then accers/Wycombe - exciting month coming up!

Edit - and a huge congrats to Robbo, regardless of what happens he deserves so much credit for a fantastic season, great cup runs, and third in the table against some teams with much bigger resources - massive turnaround from when he took us over and has proved the many doubters wrong.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I assume you mean Fleetwood? I would make Fleetwood favourites, but there was no way the bookies would go against Pompey.

Ty - I think the option of finishing the season ended once it became clear that no decision was being made, for such a long time that training could not start until well into June. I most definitely agreed that weighted PPG is a better approach, and I can say this knowing that we would not be affected either way.

What I want to know is how we can see the games and whether they will be either free to air or accessible in a way that gets money to the club, not Murdoch.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Thankfully I think Murdoch is out of Sky now, though I still wouldn't pay good money for a subscription service that *also has adverts*. It's for mugs.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Well I think the right decision was made to finish the season. Obviously a couple of teams will feel hard done by. Tranmere will argue they could have stayed up. Whereas Peterborough and Sunderland will feel aggrieved at missing out on the play-offs.
As a one-off looking at the table they could have done a six team play-off like in the national league? This could have been Wycombe and Oxford through to a semi-final each against the winners of Portsmouth - Sunderlamd and Fleetwood - Peterborough. However this is then six teams back in training for a handful of games.

Judging by how Peterborough tore us apart at the away fixture I'm quite glad they are out of the running.

Perhaps more important is can the club's owners continue to fund us? We haven't had any winding up orders for a while, but neither is there any income coming in, and we still haven't decided what to do about season tickets (either this season or next).

Most people I know seem happy to let this season ticket "run out" and not ask for a refund, but I see Martin Lewis from Money Saving Expert has been providing templates for claiming a rebate.

The other question is what about Wycombe away tickets? Where is this ticket money sitting at the moment. Is it in an OUFC account, been paid across to Wycombe, or did it just get paid into a general OUFC bank account and get spent? My guess is that Oxford under normal circumstances settle up away ticket sales shortly after the match completes and they know exactly how many ticket sales they've made and keep their 5% sellers' fee.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Not a season ticket holder, but I'm entirely unconcerned about the ticket money I spent on MK Dons home tickets for myself and my son. And I've been buying merchandise form the online shop in an attempt to add to the club cashflow a little. (I understand that those who've lost their job might not see things in this light though.)
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Also just reading back through the first posts in this thread (at a time when the government were saying football stadiums should remain open) was just how many of us people on the internet were much more on the ball than our shambles of a government.

How anyone who voted Tory in the last election can look themselves in the mirror is beyond me.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yeah, any government minister who claims that there wasn't scientific advice in favour of an earlier lockdown should just check my facebook posts from the week or two before lockdown. I was linking to a whole load of scientific articles saying we should lockdown asap. Perhaps the government just live in their own bubble or something, or perhaps they just don't consider people's lives to be the top priority.