The C-word

Anything yellow and blue
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Re: The C-word

Post by OtmoorYellow »

I can’t deny that the longer we go without following WHO advice, the more nervous I get about the UK approach.

It’s not just about herd immunity though, it is about timing the advice to gain maximum benefit and avoid social fatigue amongst other issues.

There are times when certainty is so important, and uncertainty creates so much concern. This is where we are.

I’m wondering if I might be categorised as higher risk, because of various medical conditions, and the medication I have to take. I get the free flu jab each year, but not sure if the same criteria will be used.

Our business is losing clients as a result of this pandemic, and no doubt more will cease, even if only temporarily.

Worrying times.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

It's becoming increasingly clear that the government approach of getting people infected is increasingly out of step with pretty much the rest of the world. Other countries are stopping flights in and out, we are telling old people not to go on a cruise.

The gvt may well be right that its impossible to contain this thing and we're all going to get it but bloody hell why don't we at least give it a go. As this article highlights containment can be achieved. Question is how you then return to normal but at least that's from a starting position of very few new cases.

The UK’s Covid-19 strategy dangerously leaves too many questions unanswered

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... _clipboard
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I'm so worried about this, it's keeping me awake at night and I reckon I think about it 90 percent of the waking day. Sometimes, when doing stuff with the kids, I occasionally forget the apocalypse is about to happen, and then I remember. It's surreal, like an ongoing bad dream.

I cannot believe it's happening so quickly.

Anyway, I've come here for football chat and not to worry about being governed by a liar, about death tolls and elderly relatives.

So how do you think the season will end? For I cannot see how the season finishes normally, especially when you think many players are out of contract by end of May or June. Which is also when the peak is meant to be.

For me the only options are:

a) Season null and void. Harsh, not very fair.
b) Some sort of impartial computer-based algorythm for the final fixtures like Duckworth-Lewis based on X-g or something.
c) Wild card: season null and void, but everyone starts next season with the number of points they finished this season on.

Nothing is perfect. Personally, I think I vote B or C, as to play 30-odd games and then cancel everything would be heartbreaking.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

The simple answer is that there is no simple answer. That said, as all of your options imply, the notion of actually completing the season is surely out of the window now.

Another option to your three, equally difficult to contemplate, could be to take the tables as they stand and base promotion and relegation on these positions. But since not every team has played the same number of games, even though the majority of the season has been played, this will also result in complaints and possible legal action. Most significantly in League 1, Wycombe could overtake us into third were they to win the game in hand and would surely challenge such a decision.

At the bottom, however, Tranmere would have to overcome a 9-goal difference to overhaul Wimbledon and get out of the third relegation spot.

As an option, therefore, in League 1 this would only throw up one problem case. I cannot be bothered to check the other league tables, but I would imagine there are more than this elsewhere.

And here's a thought. If the entire season were to be declared null and void, what would that mean for Bury, who would have been expelled from a competition that, de facto, did not happen?

Whatever we think of the game's administrators - and most of the time the answer to that is not a lot - they have some horribly difficult decisions to make in the coming weeks.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Deciding leagues, promotions and relegations, and European spots on the basis of an incomplete league seems a legal minefield I don't think anyone, let alone the feeble EFL, will be brave enough to take on.

Honestly, I think it will end up null and void, with - I hope - some sort of points bonus for where the teams were this season.

Big question is, how many clubs will survive this enforced break? Time for the EPL to do some serious wealth distribution because otherwise, I can see there being a cull from the championship downwards.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

The PL has put out an interesting idea, which is basically promotion for anyone presently in an automatic spot, but no relegation. Then at the end of next season, the number of relegation places is increased to return the divisions to their regular number the following season.

This would mean few teams would suffer the consequences of an incomplete season, and most of those with a decent chance of promotion would get that promotion. It isn’t perfect, but given the circumstances, it may be the best of a bad bunch. It would need to be supplemented by a financial package to replace lost revenues from lack of matches.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I suspect they may just end up merging the 2019/20 and 2020/21 seasons - ie, suspend things now until the autumn/winter and play the remaining fixtures then, supplementing things with a one-off extra cup competition if there's a need to fill some weekends.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:30 am The PL has put out an interesting idea, which is basically promotion for anyone presently in an automatic spot, but no relegation. Then at the end of next season, the number of relegation places is increased to return the divisions to their regular number the following season.

This would mean few teams would suffer the consequences of an incomplete season, and most of those with a decent chance of promotion would get that promotion. It isn’t perfect, but given the circumstances, it may be the best of a bad bunch. It would need to be supplemented by a financial package to replace lost revenues from lack of matches.
So if you are 3rd (...!) does that count as promotion place, as it is the 'top slot' of the play-off places??
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

recordmeister wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:13 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:30 am The PL has put out an interesting idea, which is basically promotion for anyone presently in an automatic spot, but no relegation. Then at the end of next season, the number of relegation places is increased to return the divisions to their regular number the following season.

So if you are 3rd (...!) does that count as promotion place, as it is the 'top slot' of the play-off places??
I don’t believe so.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Anyway, I think Wycombe would be 3rd judged on points per game.

I honestly think this could last a long time. If they hold their horses on announcing anything until they know what's happening (there's no need to decide anytime soon, after all), we could well end up finishing this season at this time next year!

Player contracts are obviously an issue, but I'm sure there are ways around that. The bigger issue is club finances given an extended time without income, so would need FA support.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

YF Dan wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:08 pm I'm so worried about this, it's keeping me awake at night and I reckon I think about it 90 percent of the waking day. Sometimes, when doing stuff with the kids, I occasionally forget the apocalypse is about to happen, and then I remember. It's surreal, like an ongoing bad dream.
Me too, me too. Best wishes, Dan. (And everyone else.)
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Jimski wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:57 pm Anyway, I think Wycombe would be 3rd judged on points per game.
Jeez, can this year get any worse?
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

YF Dan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:47 pm
Jimski wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:57 pm Anyway, I think Wycombe would be 3rd judged on points per game.
Yes, Slumdon could get promoted!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:30 pm
YF Dan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:47 pm
Yes, Slumdon could get promoted!
What a great argument for rejecting my earlier suggestion.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Looks like that bloke on the Internet knew far more about what needed to he done than the UK government. Beggers belief that when this thread was set up the government were saying there was no need to cancel football matches.

Now we're not even allowed to leave the house - shows how wrong they got it.

The random bloke has also posted again which is another well argued, researched article

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... 9337092b56