Newcastle Utd

Anything yellow and blue
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Newcastle Utd

Post by Geoff »

Just two wishes for today: that we score a goal and don't concede more than three. Anything better than that would be a tremendous achievement. We've had a great season cup wise but there would be no disgrace in losing today and, in time honoured fashion, we could then concentrate on the league.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Re: Newcastle Utd

Post by Werthers Original »

That was what I thought but I’m not disappointed!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Well deserved draw I reckon. Generally we kept our shape well and seemed to have as much of the play as our hosts (haven’t seen the stats though). The difference in class only really told in the final third, where Newcastle moved the ball quickly and found players in space whereas we tried to overplay. Browne and Fosu were particularly guilty of trying to do it all themselves too often when other players (usually Sykes) were better placed.

Nice to see the ground full even if it was only the away fans making any noise. I had to chuckle at the ridiculously over the top celebration of winning that final corner - as loud as if we’d scored, which we never threatened to do from flag kicks.

All in all a good day (and indeed weekend) out. Some cracking little pubs and beer up there. The only slightly sour note was the use of VAR, which only seemed to be consulted in cases which might have benefitted the Premier League team. Why wasn’t Joelinton booked for diving when VAR confirmed he hadn’t been touched? And why wasn’t the Browne penalty shout and the early foul on Baptiste checked? I’d rather there was no VAR, but if you’re going to have it at least use it consistently. At least we won’t have to endure it in the replay. Good chance of that being televised I’d have thought...
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

From up in the gods, I got a real chance to see just what our shape looks like - and how well we kept it throughout. It says a lot about the limitations of NUFC that they lacked the nous to pull us about and force us out of that shape. Even though the possession stats were very much against us, when we did have the ball we kept playing our game and were never really pressed into hurrying passes. The fluidity of our midfield play and the calmness of our passing game was really very impressive to watch from that position.

No question that Fosu and (to a lesser extent, I think) Browne needed to pass more. Nice to see players have confidence, but they need to learn from continually being dispossessed that playing the simple ball is a sign of quality. We really weathered a bit of a storm at the start of the second half, after which we seemed to really grow in confidence and spent the rest of the second half much more on the front foot. And oh those late chances. What if...

I was frustrated with Long for the first half hour. Repeatedly he had the chance to play the ball down the line (mainly to Browne) but, instead, chose to turn back and play a cross-field ball. Once he started to play the line ball it changed the dynamic of our play. Overall, though, he had a great game - and whilst he is not an attacking crossing-into-the-box right back, his driving runs and short passes to teammates were effective in a different way. Gorrin was massive and was really effective in the close tackle, dispossessing their players time and again, coming up with the ball and driving forward.

Hard to imagine NUFC playing that poorly in the replay, but if we match that performance, tweak things a bit and get Taylor, Cam and Henry back, then it could be 2017 all over again. And once again I cannot help thinking how important Short is to this team. As they pointed out on MoTD, we never flagged, but maintained our intensity throughout the 90+ minutes. The only concern on that front is that here, we had a week to prepare. For the replay, we shall be coming off a Saturday game with much less time to recover. But really, I am just trying not to run away with myself. We can do this.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

It was strange being so high up, felt higher than Wembley although I've no idea if that's true or not. Made watching the highlights after a bit surreal as it seemed like a different game. Unusual too that the ground was in the city centre, it was good for that reason, although you'd wonder if the non-football fan locals like it quite so much.

I've said before on here, but the team is very well coached and organised. We never looked in any major diffculty other than when their quick winger got the ball and ran at us and like a lot of quick wingers, he kept making the wrong decision.

We're not inclined to give the club a lot of credit, but they've got a lot right with player recruitment, of the side that played on Saturday, you'd think that almost half (Fosu (24), Dickie (23), Moore (22), Sykes (22) and Baptiste (21)) could be sold for decent money, if not now, then in a year or two - plus Brannagan (23). I don't think we've been able to say that about a team for years.

We missed our goalscorers - Mackie seems to be more battering ram than footballer these days and he was never prolific at the best of times. Henry has probably been our most influential player over the last 2 or more seasons. With Taylor back too we should have more threat, but you'd expect Newcastle to be better as well.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Isaac wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:38 amWe missed our goalscorers - Mackie seems to be more battering ram than footballer these days and he was never prolific at the best of times.
I can understand the desire to play Mackie as a starter, but he seems to be so much more effective when he comes off the bench to get in the face of tired defenders. His niggling bulldog style is easy to cope with if he's getting worn out at the same rate as the opposition.

(I thought I'd check the stats and it seems to make no difference to results whether he's a sub or not. Bloody "facts" getting in the way of a perfectly good ill-informed opinion!)
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

SmileyMan wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:56 pm I can understand the desire to play Mackie as a starter, but he seems to be so much more effective when he comes off the bench to get in the face of tired defenders. His niggling bulldog style is easy to cope with if he's getting worn out at the same rate as the opposition.
You see, I'd argue the opposite - the point of Jamie Mackie is to annoy and tire out defenders for 60-70 minutes, in the hope that they get a yellow / red card or at the very least are knackered when we bring on a fresh, nippy striker who can then take advantage. Certainly for a game like Saturday's, that seemed a reasonable tactic. The surprise was that we left it so late to bring on Agyei.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Anyone know when they'll announce if/what replays are on the telly?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

recordmeister wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:46 am Anyone know when they'll announce if/what replays are on the telly?
I'm hoping it will be soon! Given that our match is confirmed for the Tuesday and BBC's live match is scheduled for the Wednesday, I'm asuming the Beeb will be showing Spurs vs Saints and the best we can hope for is BT Sport. They might go for Liverpool vs Shrews though...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:42 pm Given that our match is confirmed for the Tuesday and BBC's live match is scheduled for the Wednesday, I'm asuming the Beeb will be showing Spurs vs Saints and the best we can hope for is BT Sport.
I wasn't counting on BBC1 shifting their schedule around to accomodate the Mighty Yellows of course. Good stuff! And saves me another midweek trip up from Cornwall.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:23 pm
Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:42 pm Given that our match is confirmed for the Tuesday and BBC's live match is scheduled for the Wednesday, I'm asuming the Beeb will be showing Spurs vs Saints and the best we can hope for is BT Sport.
I wasn't counting on BBC1 shifting their schedule around to accomodate the Mighty Yellows of course. Good stuff! And saves me another midweek trip up from Cornwall.
Couldn't have made Wednesday, so very happy they have kept it on Tuesday.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

A big thank you to Klopp for being a total arse and treating the FA Cup as some sort of JPT x Friendly match (FYI, you screwed up Klopp, by not putting out a team that would beat a League 1 side, so you should suffer the consequences) that means the Beeb have gone for us.

Hopefully the additional money from Auntie means a bit more business before the close of the window. Or Taylor on a permanent.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

The Klopp schtick is wearing very thin. One of his first games in charge of Liverpool (iirc) was a cup tie at Exeter, where he played the kids and had to come back to Anfield for a replay. You’d have thought he’d have learned by now. This was easily avoidable by fielding a half-decent XI, who are anyway about to have a couple of weeks off.

Having said that, it highlights the fact that the competing bodies in charge of football in this country need their heads banging together. How can it be that The EFL can’t find a suitable date for Liverpool to play a League Cup quarter final? Or that the Premier League try to enforce a mid-season break when FA cup ties are scheduled? It’s a joke, and not Juergen Klopp’s fault to be fair...
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

recordmeister wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:14 am Or Taylor on a permanent.
This is an issue that seems to have escaped much comment or discussion in talking about who we could or should get in in January. Maybe we need Taylor and another striker - but can we afford that? I guess Taylor would not come cheap.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I suggest we leave Taylor until the summer to see how fit he is, whether he continues to score and, most importantly which division we are in.

If he is able to maintain consistent scoring and we are still in Div1 then go for it using the wedge freed up by losing Mackie (Please PLEASE tell me Mackie is not on an automatic extension triggered by appearances!).