Seasons greetings

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Merry OxMas everyone!
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Seasons greetings

Post by Geoff »

Thank you.

Hope everyone is having a relaxing time.

I'll probably see you tomorrow if I only knew it.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Seasons greetings

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Happy New Year all. And what an amazing year it's been. 364 days ago I was at Home Park watching our third woeful capitulation in a row to teams in the relegation places, a result which left us 22nd in the table with twice as many defeats as wins. I had no hope at all that Robinson was the man to take us forwards, and called for his head on here - something I very, very rarely do with our managers.

Do I feel stupid now? Well, yes and no. I know that what I watched on 1st Jan (and the previous few games) was unacceptable, and I defy anyone who was there to dream that we'd be finishing the year in the automatic promotion places. Robinson has clearly done a fantastic job since then, and I'm delighted we stuck with him.

As to our last two games, I thought we got lucky against Lincoln but were well worth the win at Wimbledon, despite some of our players not really firing. Brannagan and Gorrin were imperious against Man City, but haven't really hit those heights in the last two games. Cam gave the ball away several times against Lincoln, often by turning back towards our own goal when there were more positive options available; indeed it was his error (I think) that lead to Mousinho having to cynically bring down the Lincoln player that I thought would see him sent off. And Gorrin, for all his excellent work, can get sucked into giving away too many unnecessary free kicks, which makes me nervous when we're not great at defending set pieces.

Dickie is performing at a ridiculous level at the moment, but Moore was very shaky for much of the first half against the Dons. Rob Hall should not be starting games, and Mackie poses zero goal threat for all his shithousery. Fosu was also poor when he came on. But we had enough to grind out two wins, which is a great sign. And of course we had Baptiste, who is really coming together as a player - that finish on Boxing Day combined with a really accomplished all-round performance 3 days later (and that pass, of course). We're looking good at the moment, but there's a long way to go, with several teams that I expect to get stronger. Plus there's the January window to contend with. I'd definitely take a play-off place now if offered, even if I hope we can do better.

Much as I'd love to start 2020 at Doncaster it's just too far from Cornwall, so I'll be at Home Park again hoping for another 3-0 home win...