Taming by the Shrews

Anything yellow and blue
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Taming by the Shrews

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Not the greatest performance, perhaps hampered by the present injury list.

Shrewsbury had done their homework and defended from the front, closing us down very quickly all over the park. Result rushed and cramped passing. There was a distinct lack of movement in midfield, especially centrally, which meant few outlets whilst playing from the back.

We played Henry in the Branagan role, as distributor from just in front of the back line. It didn't really work, not because of anything Henry did wrong, but because he is generally our central attacking midfield outlet and he can't be in two places at once. We improved when Mous was moved forwards into midfield, again not because he did anything wrong in defence, but because he could then play in front of the back four and allow Henry further forward.

We miss CamBran big time, and that is of course entirely understandable as he is arguably the best player in the side.

New keeper had a good game, bar one kick that went awry.

Hindsight is easy, but I would have started with the line up we had when Mous moved into midfield.

Shrewsbury were a horrible team to watch, although Edwards is a class act. Loads of deliberate niggly fouls, all just enough to disrupt play, but not quite enough for bookings unless accumulated. And the time wasting was dreadful too. The ref never really got control of those tactics and was weak with loads of chats and little punishment.

Had we won this game, we would be third in the table today.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Taming by the Shrews

Post by recordmeister »

We do miss CamBran but I’d say Gorrin is a bigger loss...
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Ricketts clearly was a massive atkins fan, the most depressing anti football team I have seen for a long long time. Why?

- goalkeeper took at least 20 seconds over every kick
- too many niggly nothing fouls to mention
- everytime they did one of the above they kicked the ball away 20 yards
- never have I seen so many foul throw ins taken from the wrong place
- anytime fosu or Taylor got it they had two men kicking their ankles

The crowd noticed this after 10m the ref after 85 and did nothing to change it. Yes I agree a team should not need a referee to hold them to account but he should have done a whole lot more.

Stupid thing was I thought we were there for the taking, dodgy goalie for crosses, Henry as a defensive mid (wtf) and we ended up with 6 defenders on at the end.

I really hope they go down.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Agreed, Shrewsbury were a horrible team to watch, but they didn't need to be. In the first 25 minutes they pushed us back and showed they were capable of better. After that they concentrated on fouling and time wasting, ably assisted by the referee. If they'd only realised it, we were there for the taking given our injury situation.