The Exodus begins

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

The Exodus begins

Post by Mooro »

Club site reports that Jimbo has accepted a transfer request from Chris Tardif.

Great shame as far as I'm concerned and does leave us in the hands of two youth team keepers if/when Turley gets himself double-yellowed for time-wasting, but I suppose the mercenary view of things is that there is more dosh (or at least capacity within the wagecap) for adding one or more outfield players into the squad...
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Can't blame him but this increases the chances of seeing a keeper signed on loan before the campaign is out - that's assuming some comes in for Tards.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Inevitable, but sad. I feel Tardiff hasn't been treated well by the club/management and am not at all convinced he is worse than Turley. I have a bit of a feeling that Jim has his blind spots and favourites. Still, two good keepers may be a luxury, and certainly a decent right back / wing back for Tards would be a great exchange ... if only the management can see the need.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Inevitable, but sad. I feel Tardiff hasn't been treated well by the club/management and am not at all convinced he is worse than Turley. I have a bit of a feeling that Jim has his blind spots and favourites. Still, two good keepers may be a luxury, and certainly a decent right back / wing back for Tards would be a great exchange ... if only the management can see the need.
Not unexpected for this supporter. Turley is the better keeper. A left winger and midfielder is more imprtant than a sub goalie.

Colin - you do not have the hots for Fast Eddie do you? I rate him as one of our better players. I wouild actually prefer to see him played on the right of midfield witrh a conventional fullback (maybe Quinn?) behind.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Colin - you do not have the hots for Fast Eddie do you? I rate him as one of our better players. I wouild actually prefer to see him played on the right of midfield witrh a conventional fullback (maybe Quinn?) behind.
Still going with the &quotfast&quot are we?

What does that make Yemi? Supersonic?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote: Colin - you do not have the hots for Fast Eddie do you? I rate him as one of our better players.
I do not. Well spotted. If someone is a &quotwing&quot back it would be nice if they would actually go outside their marker from time to time. If someone is a wing &quotback&quot it would be nice if they marked their opposing wide left player or tackled from time to time. But maybe I am just being churlish!

I do accept that, having decided he is rubbish, I do look for and accentuate the rubbish he serves up - just as his supporters look for occasional flashes of &quotbrilliance&quot (competence) to confirm their view. They must have the patience of Job. What's that called, must be a social psychologist on here somewhere? Cognotive dissonance? Affirmation bias?

Let's start a ruck then. Isn't it about time Andy Burgess was dropped?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Oh and ... Boris, do you, by chance, have a running total on the votes on the RageOnline polling booth for &quotweakest link&quot? Looking at the last seven games, he has been 1st=, 1st=, 3rd, 1st=, 1st, 2nd= and 2nd (to &quotno one&quot) as the weakest link, while receiving virtually no votes as MoTM.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:
&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote: Colin - you do not have the hots for Fast Eddie do you? I rate him as one of our better players.
I do not. Well spotted. If someone is a &quotwing&quot back it would be nice if they would actually go outside their marker from time to time. If someone is a wing &quotback&quot it would be nice if they marked their opposing wide left player or tackled from time to time. But maybe I am just being churlish!

I do accept that, having decided he is rubbish, I do look for and accentuate the rubbish he serves up - just as his supporters look for occasional flashes of &quotbrilliance&quot (competence) to confirm their view. They must have the patience of Job. What's that called, must be a social psychologist on here somewhere? Cognotive dissonance? Affirmation bias?

Let's start a ruck then. Isn't it about time Andy Burgess was dropped?

Don't you mean Hargreaves? Gilchrist has been decidedly dodgy recently as well. Eddie A being chopped? No chance.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

&quotIsn't it about time Andy Burgess was dropped?&quot ..... Yes. We are over reliant on him and he is unreliable. Can't afford a luxury in a three man midfield.

Alternatively, a switch to 4-4-2 may well be the more favourable and beneficial solution.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote: Don't you mean Hargreaves? ... Eddie A being chopped? No chance.
That would be the Hargreaves that got the RageOnline man of the match for the Stevenage, Wycombe, Aldershot and Cambridge matches would it? Mmmm.

You are, of course, absolutely right that there is little chance of Slow Eddie being dropped. That's part of the problem, isn't it?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:I feel Tardiff hasn't been treated well by the club/management and am not at all convinced he is worse than Turley.
Are you convinced he is better than Turley though?

It is disappointing for Tardiff because he is by no means a bad keeper, but unless we were to have a daft Shilton/Clemence situation what else could the club have done?
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:
&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote: Don't you mean Hargreaves? ... Eddie A being chopped? No chance.
That would be the Hargreaves that got the RageOnline man of the match for the Stevenage, Wycombe, Aldershot and Cambridge matches would it? Mmmm.

You are, of course, absolutely right that there is little chance of Slow Eddie being dropped. That's part of the problem, isn't it?
'Mmmm'. That was then, This is now. Hargreaves level of performance has slipped alarmingly. Rushden - really shite. Gravesend - really shite. Stevenage. I hear he was not great but can't comment as didn't go.

Eddie A has not been playng particularly well recently but merits his place. Lets agree to disagree shall we?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote: Lets agree to disagree shall we?
Of course. No vitriol meant nor felt. I always find the differences in perception at matches fascinating (begins Andy Scott vs Steve Basham rant then thinks better of it ...).
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:Alternatively, a switch to 4-4-2 may well be the more favourable and beneficial solution.
I'm not sure we have the players to do that though, Neil. It would certainly mean dropping Gilly, as he is way too slow to be 1 of 2 now. Are Quinn and Wilmott a good enough CB pairing?

Anaclet isn't a full-back, but is he a winger? I like him, as I think he gives us a greater outlet for playing football properly than anyone else, but I think wing-back is his best position.

We don't have any proper wingers, although Yemi could probably play on the right. Burgess is certainly better when not stuck out on the wing.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us play 4-4-2 with wingers, but I think it would mean more transfer market activity than is really feasible mid-season. We need to make the best use of the assets at our disposal.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Stevenage. I hear [Hargreaves] was not great but can't comment as didn't go.
Perhaps not great but he did score a very good goal to rescue a point.