More Grizzle at Rovers

Anything yellow and blue
Post Reply
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2908
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:16 pm

More Grizzle at Rovers

Post by Kernow Yellow » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:16 am

Well that was a pretty depressing performance, and very similar to that against Burton on Tuesday night - the difference being that Rovers were a really limited side, but still beat Us comfortably.

Again we looked quite good going forwards, and opened the home team up several times with patient passing build-up, but didn't threaten the goal nearly enough. And, when Rovers had the ball, the midfield didn't give our defence nearly enough protection. Hanson looked the culprit here where it was Gorrin on Tuesday, but I suspect it's our formation as much as the personnel that is to blame.

So we didn't stop crosses coming into the box, and when they came we didn't deal with them. It might have been Moore's first start, but he looked shaky and was beaten in the air too often for someone his height - their second goal being a particularly obvious example.

But the real worry for me is that, for the second time in a week, we seemed to be outfought. For half an hour we competed, and were clearly the better team, but once Taylor went off we just seemed to give up. Yes Rovers were a pretty nasty team, intent on kicking rather than playing us off the park in the opening exchanges. But it worked for them. We need to be able to maintain intensity for 90 minutes. In that respect memories of the start of last season are resurfacing.

Luckily I didn't feel down about the result for long, as on Sunday I was glued to pretty much the greatest sporting spectacle I've ever seen. Talk about playing to the final whistle and never giving up! But that's another story...

slappy
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: More Grizzle at Rovers

Post by slappy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:44 pm

Well that was hot. At least the catering hut was giving away free cups of tap water, though if I was being mean I'd say it was only because they'd sold out of £2 bottled water.

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2908
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:16 pm

Re: More Grizzle at Rovers

Post by Kernow Yellow » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:52 pm

slappy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:44 pm
Well that was hot. At least the catering hut was giving away free cups of tap water, though if I was being mean I'd say it was only because they'd sold out of £2 bottled water.
Very pleased I was in the seats! It's bad enough just looking into the sun on that terrace, but the 30 degree heat must have been something else. In fact it was my first time in the seats there, and the view's not much better. Worst away end in the league without a doubt. But, at a mere five and a half hour round trip, it's my nearest game this season, so had to be done...

Kairdiff Exile
Dashing young thing
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:59 pm

Re: More Grizzle at Rovers

Post by Kairdiff Exile » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:09 pm

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:52 pm
Worst away end in the league without a doubt.
Gillingham: "Hold my beer"
Newport: "Hold my beer"
Macclesfield: "Hold my beer"

I know that we're basically debating the difference between shit and shite, but my point is that it's a crowded field - which, oddly enough, would still be a nicer vantage point for a game than the away end at Accrington.

slappy
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: More Grizzle at Rovers

Post by slappy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:54 pm

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:09 pm
Kernow Yellow wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:52 pm
Worst away end in the league without a doubt.
Gillingham: "Hold my beer"
Newport: "Hold my beer"
Macclesfield: "Hold my beer"

I know that we're basically debating the difference between shit and shite, but my point is that it's a crowded field - which, oddly enough, would still be a nicer vantage point for a game than the away end at Accrington.
* that side terrace at AFC Wimbledon is pretty poor too. OK it's nice to have a terrace, but when full the view is awful.

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2908
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:16 pm

Re: More Grizzle at Rovers

Post by Kernow Yellow » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:03 pm

Hmm. If I'm going to be on an uncovered terrace I'd rather it's behind the goal with no pillars than stuck in a corner with various fences and dugouts obscuring my view. So I'm rejecting Macc and Accy* outright. In fact I'd say the away end at Sw*nd*n is worse than both anyway.

Gillingham is clearly an embarrassment, but again a much better view of the pitch than from the terrace (or seats) at Bristol. Newport - now you're talking, though last time I went I got a seat in the smarter (covered) side stand with pretty good views.

You forgot AFC Wimbledon - probably the only one with a worse view than Rovers. But at least it's got a roof... [edit - I see Slappy beat me to that one]

*I've not actually been to Accrington, but there doesn't look anything wrong with that terrace. I've been to Macc and the similar-looking Yeovil, and have no complaints about either

Kairdiff Exile
Dashing young thing
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:59 pm

Re: More Grizzle at Rovers

Post by Kairdiff Exile » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:43 pm

I'll forgive (to some extent) poor facilities if there's enough else around the ground to make for a good day out. Brizzle has plenty of good pubs on the Gloucester Road to make pre-match enjoyable, Newport and Accy both have a great Sam Smith's* pub within walking distance. Harder to mount a defence of Gillingham or AFCW on those terms. I appreciate that this probably says more about my pre-match routines than it does about the away areas in the grounds concerned though!

Also, I'm a fan of terraces over seats for away games as a rule - so Brizzle Roverzz, AFCW and Accy probably make for better days out as a result.

So IMHO, Gillingham get the points for the worst away section in the Football League. Apart from anything else, I'm pretty sure they should issue away fans with hi-vis and a hard hat for the concourse beneath that stand.

* Not that one

Dr Bob
Mid-life Crisis
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: More Grizzle at Rovers

Post by Dr Bob » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:12 am

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:03 pm
Hmm. If I'm going to be on an uncovered terrace I'd rather it's behind the goal with no pillars than stuck in a corner with various fences and dugouts obscuring my view. So I'm rejecting Macc and Accy* outright. In fact I'd say the away end at Sw*nd*n is worse than both anyway.

Gillingham is clearly an embarrassment, but again a much better view of the pitch than from the terrace (or seats) at Bristol. Newport - now you're talking, though last time I went I got a seat in the smarter (covered) side stand with pretty good views.

You forgot AFC Wimbledon - probably the only one with a worse view than Rovers. But at least it's got a roof... [edit - I see Slappy beat me to that one]

*I've not actually been to Accrington, but there doesn't look anything wrong with that terrace. I've been to Macc and the similar-looking Yeovil, and have no complaints about either
Not been to Yeovil, but I would say Accy is better than Macc because it is more steeply banked, providing for a decent view. Saltergate and Edgeley Park were great terraces, but Saltergate was so cold and both of them had the worst toilets imaginable. Important if the nearby pubs are good for a pre-match beer or two...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests