Peter-blimey!

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Peter-blimey!

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Well, I think we can all be delighted by that performance and result against a side who most of us expect to be promotion challengers (but on that showing may fall some way short). I expected us to be better in the second half with the wind behind us, but weirdly both sides played better when attacking the open end.

Thoughts:
  • Dickie really has stepped up massively, hasn’t he? Strong, commanding and - crucially - consistent. Can’t wait to see him and Moore together.
  • Cadden looks like a smart acquisition. Solid defensively, keen to get forward and a good crosser.
  • Brannigan was obviously superb, although I worry about his discipline. He was the difference which got us the win yesterday, but there’ll be games where he costs us points if he doesn’t smarten up with the challenges and back-talking. KR needs to lead by example in that respect - of course CamBran will talk back to officials if he sees his manager chopsing off at every opportunity. But full credit to him for a superb performance and goal yesterday.
  • Mackie has a typical Mackie performance yesterday. It’ll help him massively when Agyei is ready to start games so Mackie can do a job coming on with 20 mins left either to get a goal or hold up play rather than having to lead the line from kick-off.
  • Fosu looks very quick indeed although his final ball was sometimes a bit off, and he disappeared for chunks of the game.
  • Woodburn needs to get some minutes under his belt and stop trying so hard to prove himself all the time. The miss was a result of him over-thinking rather than playing instinctively - but when he did the latter, he looked decent. Hope he starts again on Tuesday and can get a goal.
I’m reassured on yesterday’s showing. So much so that I’ll revise my expectations upwards from surviving a relegation battle to mid-table. Still not sure I’ve drunk the Carabao-sponsored kool aid to agree with our Chairman that we’re promotion contenders though!
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Peter-blimey!

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I would agree with that. I thought we were excellent in the first half - some of the best football we have played in years. Fosu-Henry ran the show.
I'm not quite sure why we were less convincing in the second half - perhaps the Posh changes, perhaps Fosu-Henry ran out of steam.

The main reason for optimism for me was the level of invention in the first half: F-H, Woodburn, Henry and Brannagan all looked capable of a little bit of fresh thinking.

Concern? That Brannagan will get himself a reputation with the other clubs and with referees. Good substitution by Robinson yesterday.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Agree with much of the above, although harsh on Fosu. He was MoM for me.

Mouse looks much improved at CB too.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Great team performance yesterday. Couldn't fault anyone.

Eastwood - Competent as usual with one very good save.
Cadden - Good in defence and combined well with Henry.
Ruffels - Played well but wasn't able to get forward as much on the left.
Dickie - Has grown up over the summer possibly due to playing right side. Won numerous headers. Brought the ball out of defence on several occasions.
Mousinho - Captain's performance and (so far) has cut out last season's mistakes.
Gorrin - Did the less fashionable work very well.
Brannagan - Played very well and covered a lot of ground in midfield. Scored a good goal.
Henry - Back to his best. Hit the bar in the second half leading to Woodburn's chance. One exquisite piece of footwork to put Cadden(?) through.
Fosu - Superb pacy performance which deserved a goal.
Mackie - How many miles did he cover for the team? Tremendous effort.
Woodburn - Showed some classy touches. Did well not to go missing after that miss.

I hope I can make Tuesday because it promises to be very entertaining!