Dashing young thing

Re: Why?te

Post by Werthers Original »

Well, he hasn’t gone yet, and we don’t know the fee. But looks like he’s going
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

Not happy with this at all, bearing in mind the current parlous state of our squad.

Is it too much to hope that someone like Bogle coming the other way is part of the deal?

Grim season inbound, I fear.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Yes I’m gutted! Though he is arguably too good for our level. Will cheer up if we get three exciting players in this week
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Werthers Original wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:52 pm Well, he hasn’t gone yet, and we don’t know the fee. But looks like he’s going
I understand the deal was done yesterday, but this is not from an official source.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Still needs to pass his medical tomorrow...
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Strange words from KR on this one in that it's important for OUFC's future (or something like that). It could mean:

1) We ain't got any money and need to service some debt - not very inspiring if the case

2) We're going to spend the £2m on some land that has been found for a stadium - could be a positive but would suggest that our billionaire board don't intend to fund the stadium themselves to any great extent

3) We're getting a good price and a key player/players in return that we need for our season, (Whyte on loan even?)

Assuming we get an update on KR's statement and it doesn't become an 'undisclosed fee' where the money then dribbles into the ether and no-one can identify what happened to it, the outcome could be very telling on what our future holds.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Seeing as we've got a dedicated thread, I'd reiterate my remarks from elsewhere about the Whyte deal and what it suggests:
Kairdiff Exile wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:10 pm I’m of the same view as KR that Whyte was worth nearly double what Cardiff are reputedly paying. I can’t remember us flogging off important players for significantly less than their market worth since the days of the Manor and Keith Cox at the helm. It strongly suggests to me that we don’t have a pot to piss in. The board, and Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth in particular, deserve significant criticism for that.
Speaking to some of the many Cardiff City fans in my office today, the potential signing of Omar Bogle as a makeweight in the Whyte deal could help to soften the blow somewhat. Although he's not a stellar signing, he's seen by them as a solid, reliable striker and someone who ought to score goals in a lower league - so in that sense is just what we need. Apparently he had done well for them up until he got sent off at Brizzle Zitty, after which Warnock never really trusted him again. Make of that what you will.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Since his goal scoring prowess saw him leave Grimsby for Wigan, then move on to Cardiff, he has bounced around on loan, without ever really sparkling again. If he does come as part of the deal, then I am crossing my fingers that this is one of those "chance to resurrect his career" type moves. If not, it risks being another Obika.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Gareth Bale is unexpectedly available.....
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Dr Bob wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:50 pm Since his goal scoring prowess saw him leave Grimsby for Wigan, then move on to Cardiff, he has bounced around on loan, without ever really sparkling again. If he does come as part of the deal, then I am crossing my fingers that this is one of those "chance to resurrect his career" type moves. If not, it risks being another Obika.
He scored 4 in 12 on loan to Portsmouth last season - that's a 1 in 3 game ratio - I don't think Jon 'Goal Machine' Obika achieved that.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

The latest is that Bogle will not be a makeweight in the deal:
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... t-16665528
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:54 pm
Werthers Original wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:52 pm Well, he hasn’t gone yet, and we don’t know the fee. But looks like he’s going
I understand the deal was done yesterday, but this is not from an official source.
Now confirmed. Those of us living in Cardiff will look forward to seeing him splashed on the front page of the South Wales Echo, gentleman's agreement in hand, at 2am on St Mary Street.

No makeweight striker coming the other way as was rumoured. Speculation mounts about our interest in Wales international Ben Woodburn, but frankly if he signs for Oxford United then I'd be astonished. Anyone travelling up to Sunderland on Saturday might want to consider taking their boots with them just in case they get asked to make up the numbers on the bench.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:57 pm Speculation mounts about our interest in Wales international Ben Woodburn, but frankly if he signs for Oxford United then I'd be astonished.
Shows what I know. Croeso i Rydychen, Ben!