Summer transfers 2019

Anything yellow and blue
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Re: Summer transfers 2019

Post by Werthers Original »

I rather wish we’d just sign a couple of good sturdy lads from Crewe or Wycombe, never mind all these top targets
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I’ve got a lot of time for these two points:
Old Abingdonian wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:53 pm ...we are simply aiming too high - chasing players who are, in fact, Championship players so that we are unlikely to actually land them
Werthers Original wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:05 pm I rather wish we’d just sign a couple of good sturdy lads from Crewe or Wycombe, never mind all these top targets
Our greatest successes in recent years haven’t been “big names” or big money signings - they’ve been up-and-coming players from lower or non-league (eg, Whyte) or promising youngsters rejected by bigger clubs (eg, Roofe). That model has served us well, even if sometimes there’s an initial “meh” response to players we’ve not heard of!

Two other points regarding Whyte’s sale and what it means:
  • I’m of the same view as KR that Whyte was worth nearly double what Cardiff are reputedly paying. I can’t remember us flogging off important players for significantly less than their market worth since the days of the Manor and Keith Cox at the helm. It strongly suggests to me that we don’t have a pot to piss in. The board, and Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth in particular, deserve significant criticism for that.
  • I predict that some of the Whyte money will be used to bring in an ageing former Premiership player on big wages. He’ll have injury problems and will barely feature until November. KR will make excuses. He’ll have two good games over Christmas and then break a leg in January and never be seen in a yellow shirt again. There will be no money left to replace him.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

A (fit) proven striker and centre back are now desperately urgent and need to be signed this week.

Cover at left back needed within a fortnight.

The way Robbo is setting the side up is very similar to the start of last season, and we know how that turned out, but I'm not blaming Robbo for this.

Mousinho is not, and never will be, a centre back, except in absolute emergencies. Playing him at centre back, means we are de3prived of the protection he provides the back four from a deep midfield position. That in turn means CamBran having to play deeper, which is not his role, and we lose his attacking flair. Essentially it buggers up the whole spine of the team.

Mackie is clearly only semi fit, and despite his hugely impressive and improved pre-season, Napa will never be a loan striker.

Front, back and spine all a mess, and now we've sold our best wide player too, for far less than he is worth.

I have little confidence in Tiger and the board to run OUFC properly and I believe they are here purely for potential property dealings. To prove me wrong, every penny of the Whyte sale needs to go back into funding player purchases, to sort out the problems referred to above.

Fortunately for us, Bury and Bolton will struggle to be beaten for 2 of the relegation places this season.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Now this is an interesting rumour...
https://readliverpoolfc.com/2019/07/30/ ... d-on-loan/
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

So I’ll say it if no-one else will.

Welcome Elliott Moore.

Thank goodness we have another centre back.

Not sure we needed another winger but Anthony Forde looks like a solid addition to the squad.

One more striker or is that it?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Boogie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:11 pm So I’ll say it if no-one else will.

Welcome Elliott Moore.

Thank goodness we have another centre back.

Not sure we needed another winger but Anthony Forde looks like a solid addition to the squad.

One more striker or is that it?
Moore looks like an excellent signing. Just what was required. We still desperately need a strong, proven striker though if we're to avoid being relegation candidates.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Just heard strong rumours coming out of Derby that George Thorne (defensive midfielder) is on his way.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Dr Bob wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:10 am Just heard strong rumours coming out of Derby that George Thorne (defensive midfielder) is on his way.
Believe he was here yesterday but issues with his medical.......shame if true
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

So KR is looking at free agents to bring into cover Hanson's injury:
https://www.banburycake.co.uk/sport/178 ... on-injury/

Is this because he does not think our current midfielders who are not first choice are good enough? Or does he want additional cover at right back? If he were fit, I would have thought Thorne could have filled a similar role, at least as a midfielder if not as RB. What do you think is the wider message this is sending? Or am I trying to look for a story where none exists?