(Not) Retained List

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

(Not) Retained List

Post by Dr Bob »

https://www.banburycake.co.uk/sport/176 ... r-players/

Neither disappointment nor surprise with this list, methinks. I can only assume that Smith was given a chance but did not do enough to be kept on. As for Kelleher, presumably the same goes for him. But why sign him, then send him on loan for two seasons rather than play him in the U23 squad and look to bring him through that way? Anybody know the story behind that?

So, presumably, we have three sets of issues to see worked through: the outcomes of Hall and Nelson's contract talks, which of the loan players we either sign ourselves or re-sign on loan, and the biggie - who we bring in new. Oh - and who else we can hang on to should other clubs come sniffing.

Let the speculation and rumour begin...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: (Not) Retained List

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Dr Bob wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:47 pm As for Kelleher, presumably the same goes for him. But why sign him, then send him on loan for two seasons rather than play him in the U23 squad and look to bring him through that way? Anybody know the story behind that?
As I remember it, he was signed right at the death of Appleton’s reign, probably when MApp himself was halfway out of the door, and even then was seen as “one for the future”. Since then, we’ve had two changes of permanent managers, neither of whom have had him with them for long enough to judge him. I’d have liked to have seen him given a go, but it’s no big surprise. He just about held down a place in the third-worst side in Div 4, which doesn’t immediately suggest he’s going to be challenging in our squad.

As for the others, no surprises. The Jonte Smith signing felt like a desperate throw of the dice at the time, and clearly didn’t work out. That’s more baffling than the Kelleher one, to be honest.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Re: (Not) Retained List

Post by OtmoorYellow »

No surprises and no disappointments. Makes a nice change.