Chris Wilder

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Chris Wilder

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:58 pm
Dr Bob wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:46 pm Given the situation we were in, why was he (IIRC) offered a one year rolling contract?
I'm pretty sure you don't recall correctly. If Ircc, Wilder had been on a rolling contract, but Lenagan gave him a 1-year fixed contract at the beginning of his last season with Us instead. I pointed out at the time that Lenagan was effectively giving Wilder his notice (ie effectively sacking him but without paying him off). In the circumstances, it is hardly surprising that CW applied for every job going that season (one of the main criticisms levelled at him in the Other Place). It also became clear shortly after Wilder left that Lenagan was pulling the plug on OUFC anyway. His interest was in finding a buyer, not in getting Us promoted.

The only reason it was the right time for CW to leave OUFC is that Lenagan had stopped backing him - not because Lenagan didn't trust him (as some thought at the time), but because Lenagan was looking to sell OUFC.

CW did absolutely the right thing for his career and has ended up in the Premier League. Lenagan saddled Us with an appalling stadium agreement and we are bumbling along in League 1, changing owner and manager every couple of seasons.

Shame, because up until that point IL had been a good owner for Us (and CW a good manager). Eales repeated the trick with Appleton a few years later of course (good owner, good manager, all momentum lost when owner wants rid). Let's hope these new guys don't get bored too quickly too...
And whether it was rolling or fixed-term (this not really being the issue), one year is not security - and after achieving what he had, I do not think he was out of order to expect something more.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:02 pm CNEMWO
OK I give up.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

To be fair to IL and as seen in the very defensive nature of the press release confirming that Wilder was staying on as manager I think he was just reacting to complaints from our fans that it was time for Wilder to go.

What it meant was that Wilder had no guarantees in Jan that he would have a contract come July so understandably started looking for another job. I think he was treated very badly by Oxford and as highlighted by a fair few at the time (didn't need hindsight for this one) allowing him to go was the wrong thing to do.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

slappy wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 am
OK I give up.
Back in the day of Rage On as a physical fanzine you could buy with money, there was a running joke about Denis "Next England Manager" Smith (Out), aka DNEMSO, lampooning both his claims that he had once been under consideration for the national job and also how far he'd fallen since.

Could we now be on the verge of Chris "Next England Manager" Wilder (Out)?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:03 am
OK I give up.
Back in the day of Rage On as a physical fanzine you could buy with money, there was a running joke about Denis "Next England Manager" Smith (Out), aka DNEMSO, lampooning both his claims that he had once been under consideration for the national job and also how far he'd fallen since.

Ah thank you, I'd got as far as Chippy Northerner .. .. Wilder Out.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

More on CWNEM ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47695739

Fair play to him.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:03 am
OK I give up.

Rage On, you say?
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Only just seen this recent(ish) post from OxBlogger after Wilder gained promotion to the top flight. A good read.

https://oxblogger.co.uk/2019/05/08/midw ... e-manager/