Robbed versus Rovers

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Robbed versus Rovers

Post by Radley Rambler »

Well we should have won that handsomely. Sinclair was at least a yard onside for his goal and if Henry handballed it, then I'm a Dutchman. Thank goodness our recent form meant that these decisions were mildly annoying rather than critical to the outcome of our season. Some excellent performances notably from Brannagan, Browne and Whyte all of whom I really hope we keep hold of over the summer to form the nucleus of a great midfield.

I'm coming round to Karl Robinson although I can't bring myself to sing his name yet. If he would stop making daft statements such as Kashi's sending off at Shrewsbury wasn't a red card, this would help greatly. I also don't like his touchline antics which I can not believe give us any advantage with the officials, indeed I suspect it has the opposite effect. However, I have to give him credit for the turnaround in performances and results and so well done but let's see what recruitment is like over the summer and how we start next season. Again to his credit, I was in the club offices after the game yesterday and saw him take Nico Jones to one side and give him a very supportive arm around the shoulder - good (young) man management. Apart from a couple of nervous moments, I thought Nico played very well for a 17 year old making his debut and the OG was unlucky.

I've bought a ticket for Luton in the hope that we keep them down. Of course, if Pompey fail to win on Tuesday, I'll be getting a refund!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Robbed versus Rovers

Post by Dr Bob »

We wuz robbed. Then again, if on some of our numerous other attacks our front players could have made better decisions about when to shoot and when to pass, those two bad decisions would have been utterly irrelevant. As it is, over the last few games with the pressure off, being able to watch our play and not worry about results has been an absolute joy at times. The way we tore Rovers to shreds at times was thrilling.

It has also been wonderful to see, here and there, appearances from academy players. Jones has a way to go, but what potential. I just felt so sorry for him with the OG. Really impressed with how KR supported him after the match - not only with that comforting post-match chat, but also by playing up the positives when he was interviewed. As he said, Jones could have absolutely crumpled but he did not. Quite the opposite I thought.

I only hope that whatever the plans are for finance next year, the Owner and Directors will have understood from that performance the need to do whatever they can to keep as many of those players together as possible. If Graham does not stay (no tears shed if he does not, sadly), Hall is back (just got to hope he can stay fit). If Kashi does not stay, we still have Baptiste to come back. I think that with some careful planning and perhaps a slightly smaller squad (leaving a few gaps for loans if injuries need cover), then with Short's incredible work as fitness coach we could produce a very competitive squad on what we all expect to be a tighter budget.

But what about the league overall next year? OK so we still have one and, in some cases, two games to go, but at least one of the top four will still be with us next year. Ipswich should be strong and Rotherham will probably be competitive. I expect Lincoln to establish themselves well. On the other hand, I do not expect any other of the promoted teams to challenge for promotion, whilst gods know what will happen with Bolton. Overall, with a bit of luck and a following wind we have every chance of making the playoffs. Sorry - have I just screwed up next season?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Dr Bob wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:50 pm We wuz robbed. Then again, if on some of our numerous other attacks our front players could have made better decisions about when to shoot and when to pass, those two bad decisions would have been utterly irrelevant.
Quite. A lot was made about the offside-that-wasn't involving Sinclair, and the handball-that-looked-very-marginal by Whyte, but on at least two occasions James Henry tried to go solo and be a hero when he had better options to his left. KR criticised the referee, but I hope in private he gave Henry both barrels - he had Sinclair available on at least one of those chances, so you pass the ball to the Number 9 to finish if he's unmarked; that's his ruddy job!

Agree also about Jones, who looks very raw indeed but there's the genesis of a player there. Ideally, you'd want him to have half a season on loan and the rest of next year in the squad getting the odd appearance and benefiting from training with full-time pros - but will we do that, or will he be shipped out for the whole year to Oxford City / Woking / Brackley Town?
Last edited by Kairdiff Exile on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

i do think Mr Exile that to take the fact that KR has given 17 year old Jones his debut and has been bigging him and use this against him to say he needs to give young players more of a chance is very harsh. His record here is actually really good.

Shandon Baptiste was a regular earlier this season and made captain against the best team in England. Spasov played for the first team, Napa did last season and was bigged up (but wasn't really ready) and now Stevens and Jones have been handed their debuts whilst Long has been a regular for the second half of the season as has Ruffles.

If you look at his track record at previous clubs he does tend to give the home grown players a chance as he does here. However, if someone isn't ready - going off on loan for half a season and playing games will be much more beneficial than the U23s, its a model all clubs use now.

Am excited for next season - with some decent additions, the youngsters coming through and a good core already here we should be aiming for the play offs at least - as Luton have shown not being a Sunderland should not prevent you from doing well.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Ty - yes, sorry, I expressed myself badly; have edited my post accordingly.

What I meant is that at times the large number of loanees got in the way of allowing those promising home-grown youngsters to develop. Napa is a case in point, as he was sent off to Macclesfield despite KR rating him, because the signing of Holmes, Carruthers et al meant his chances would be limited. I hope that all the players you mentioned get a chance to contribute as part of the main squad next year, as experience suggests that season-long loan spells simply become a waiting room before players exit (Fiacre Kelleher, anyone?).
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Fair enough - although I think Holmes was brought in to be a senior first team starter, whereas Napa was not ready for this (IMO). Don;t mind Napa being in and around the squad and being given 30 minutes here and there to see how he does (which Robbo did last season) but I don't think he's ready for a start yet and as such being out on loan to get some experience may not be a bad thing.

In reality - both were injured for large periods this season so it didn't matter! I would love our team to be filled with home grown players - Joey is still one my favourite players, but they need to be good enough but also need to be give the opportunity to show they are not good enough.

How many players have left our youth system and made us regret that decision - Sam Ricketts is the only one I can think of going back years!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

ty cobb wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:31 am Fair enough - although I think Holmes was brought in to be a senior first team starter, whereas Napa was not ready for this (IMO). Don;t mind Napa being in and around the squad and being given 30 minutes here and there to see how he does (which Robbo did last season) but I don't think he's ready for a start yet and as such being out on loan to get some experience may not be a bad thing.

In reality - both were injured for large periods this season so it didn't matter! I would love our team to be filled with home grown players - Joey is still one my favourite players, but they need to be good enough but also need to be give the opportunity to show they are not good enough.

How many players have left our youth system and made us regret that decision - Sam Ricketts is the only one I can think of going back years!
and at the time, it didn't seem an odd decision - late developer.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

ty cobb wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:31 am
That begs the question whether we hang on to some of these young players for too long.

I think KR has certainly filled the remit in making use of development players to supplement the 1st team, and with more success than many others who have tried before.