Latic Intolerance

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Latic Intolerance

Post by recordmeister »

Well that was enjoyable. It’s the first time in a number of seasons I’ve felt comfortable enough to just sit back and enjoy a game.

My thoughts:

- The Away Game

Having been to the first league fixture between these two earlier in the year, it reminded me a bit of that. I thought that was really the turning point of our season. I took 4 friends (two Celtic fans, a Norn Ireland fan keen to see Whyte, and one other). The first half we were over run by an energetic and powerful Charlton team, and I remember remarking to a few fellow Oxford fans at HT about the team. Esp the formation. The NI fan I was with said ‘your CM looks like a CB’ which he was.. and so on. We had so many player out of position it was untrue. The second half was totally different. Whyte came on... and we all know what a happened... but more than that we had ‘square pegs in square holes’: a team that looked entirely different to the one in the first half and one that, I think, then went on a pretty decent unbeaten run (albeit with a hell of a lot of draws). This game reminded me of that, in so much as the first 15 mins was like the first half at the Valley: they over ran us with energy and skill, and then simply hit a wall. Thank goodness.

- The Free Kick.

Picture the scene: me and two friends away at Sunderland. We get a free kick and my mates say ‘got anyone good?’, to which I replied, ‘nope’. Holmes steps up and puts it in the back of the net... On Friday, the same thing happens except my Father-in-Law asks the same question, with me giving the same reply... I chatted to ‘£28k-a-week’ Garbutt after the game and told him he’d had a ‘very progressive season’, the best way I could describe his contribution to the team this campaign.

- The subs

After the sending off, I was puzzled that Sykes made way for Mackie. For me, Skykes was the MOM. But what a brilliant sub that was. Mackie basically managed the game to the 96th min. I don’t think he got their player sent off (it was a two footed challenge in front of the ref) but he did little things like told JS to stay down after he was knocked to the floor at a corner. Good gamesmanship from the Old Head

- Jack Stevens

What a save! Why did we ever bring in Mitchell? Well done to the 100th grad from the youth academy.

- The ‘yellow card / not sending off’ at the end.

Apparently according to the refs assessor, if you play on you can only give a yellow not a red.

- Josh Ruffels

Can we talk about that run in the last min? Messi eat your heart out. And this is a left back. Forget his last min goals and the fact he really isn’t ‘one of our own’ - he’s a Cov City grad - have we had a more dedicated, polite, articulate, versatile and talented local professional at our club? A credit to himself, his family, and the football club.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Latic Intolerance

Post by Boogie »

Latic...Haddock intolerance perhaps?

Very entertaining match with some stand out performances.

Garbutt endorsed what I said a little while back and Ruffs gets my vote as Player of the Season.

Hoping Nelson’s commitment is not just about being in the shop window.

After his volley and the Garbutt assist and free kick I would have been happy with a draw but to see it out after losing Easty was great.

Our game management has changed dramatically and I have to hand it to KR for subbing Kashi. I moaned at the time but did not realise he had been booked so he could have become another red card. Reluctantly, I accept that Mackie’s antics were a big part in seeing the game out.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Very good performance, and time, I think, to give KR great credit for turning things around. Those who refuse to acknowledge what he has done are being vindictive, in my view.

Looking back, I think the team has always played for the manager, with the possible exception of the bizarre home game against Bristol Rvs. Contrast that with the gutless recent display by Bradford at the Kassam and (I understand, wasn't there) by Walsall at the Bescot. This commitment gave me hope if not confidence.

I'm still annoyed by Robinson's media wittering, though!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Actually Stevens made a double-save...sort-of. The initial shot he blocked with his left arm to take the pace off it (it would otherwise have flown into the net), then he still had the presence of mind to get up, look around and respond to the ball still heading goalwards. Phenomenal keeping.

The quality of the play going forwards, the solidity of the defending, players covering for each other so none were left exposed - and, yes, that run at the end from Ruffels. Wonderful game to sit back and enjoy watching the team we have become.

It is one thing saying that there is togetherness in the dressing room, but seeing how we are playing and comparing that to Bradford and Walsall gives a clear message about KR as a manager - and as a man-manager.