Boycott the Blackpool match?

Anything yellow and blue
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Boycott the Blackpool match?

Post by tomoufc »

It looks like ticket revenues from this fixture will go to the soon-to-be former owners, and the fans' group is maintaining their boycott of home matches on Saturday for that reason. I was considering going to this, but I'm minded not too: fans need to stick together when it comes to taking on unscrupulous owners. You never, know; I don't wish it, but there may be a time when we're having to do something similar, and every away at the Kas Stad would be undermining our efforts.

However, I'm happy to stand corrected if I've read this wrong. Here's a local newspaper report:

'Ticket revenue for Oxford game likely to go to Owen Oyston, Blackpool Supporters' Trust confirm Blackpool Supporters' Trust have issued an update following a meeting with the court receiver Paul Cooper MATT SCRAFTON Email Published: 17:36 Monday 18 February 2019 Share this article Sign Up To Our Daily Newsletter Sign up Blackpool Supporters' Trust say gate receipts from this weekend's home game against Oxford United are likely to go to Owen Oyston. READ MORE: EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey issues open letter after meeting with Blackpool FC receiver It follows a meeting with the court receiver Paul Cooper, who has yet to have taken official control of the football club. It is hoped the receiver will be in situ at the football club some time this week but even then, gaining financial control is likely to take longer according to BST. This evening they released the following update: "Further to our statement last Friday, we have now had a discussion with Paul Cooper, the court-appointed receiver (CAR) and have asked for clarity with regard to the purchasing of tickets for the upcoming match against Oxford on Saturday, February 23. "The CAR does not yet have control of the football club but it is hoped that will happen some time this week. However, gaining financial control will take longer and so it is likely that the CAR will NOT be in control of monies in time for the game on Saturday. "The decision as to whether or not to return for this game is of course up to the individual but it is important that those who have been supporting the Not A Penny More (NAPM) campaign are aware that revenue from tickets purchased for the next home game will probably fall under the control of the Oyston family. "The home game against Southend United on Saturday, March 9 is looking like a more realistic option for a return to Bloomfield Rd. Information will be shared with the supporters as soon as it is available. "Due to the constantly changing situation, Paul Cooper will not be able to attend the BST General meeting on Saturday, but the joint CAR have told us that they intend to set up a meeting with representatives from ALL fan groups as soon as it can be arranged. "Tim Fielding and Christine Seddon will hold a Q&A session at the meeting on Saturday morning instead." EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey to step... EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey issues...'

Read more at: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/spor ... -1-9602618
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Boycott the Blackpool match?

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Funnily enough, I dropped a line to the Blackpool Supporters Trust last season when I was considering going to the same fixture, to ask what their view was on away fans boycotting. The gist of their reply was that they understood away fans might not observe the boycott in the same way and were fairly relaxed about that - but if away fans could find some way to register their condemnation of the Oystons (and solidarity with the Blackpool fans), it would be appreciated.

I can't make Saturday anyway, so am saving my money and energies for a slog to Rochdale on a Tuesday night in mid-March.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re: Boycott the Blackpool match?

Post by tomoufc »

Food for thought. Thanks.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot