44%
B
56%

Total votes: 9

Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Which would you choose?

Post by Geoff »

It isn't much of a choice to be honest but I just favour the current incumbent. Admittedly, this is not from any in-depth financial knowledge, just a feel for what still might be possible. I'm a glass half full kind of chap so am probably totally wrong. It'll be interesting to look back at this thread in twelve months time and see what has been achieved.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Perhaps if we were in a position in the table where our playing budget indicates it should be we would be less concerned about Tiger, especially given the investment in the U23 and a proper training ground.

Kassam made it impossible for us to thrive by not investing in the team/youth set up and structuring the club to make it impossible for it to stand alone.

Hard to see how that be be bettered or should it be worsed?
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Not much of a choice is it, a slow death of the club via Kassam, or a potentially quick death from Tiger. My major concern with Tiger is whether, I'm not sure the best way to put this, he's a bit over-optimistic and will never realise this until it's too late.

As for the idea that Donald would be inherently better because he's a fan, I'll refer you back to Robin Herd. It's basic competence that's important, rather than the feelings or emotions of the owner.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Isaac wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:38 am Not much of a choice is it, a slow death of the club via Kassam, or a potentially quick death from Tiger. My major concern with Tiger is whether, I'm not sure the best way to put this, he's a bit over-optimistic and will never realise this until it's too late.

As for the idea that Donald would be inherently better because he's a fan, I'll refer you back to Robin Herd. It's basic competence that's important, rather than the feelings or emotions of the owner.
The point of the poll was to assess people's opinion of Tiger and the inherent risks associated with that, compared to the known problems that we had with Kassam. For me, neither represents what is needed by OUFC, though Tiger may yet prove me wrong.

The difference between Herd and Donald is that Herd wasn't wealthy enough and was involved with failing racing car teams. Donald backed by Sartori would have had plenty of cash.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

My view is that anyone wanting to do a proper project with OUFC needs at least £25 million spare to sort out the stadium and running the club.

Or else they need to factor in losing anywhere from £1million to £2million a year. Eales had his exceptional two years of player sales and cup runs, but left the club nowhere near sustainable and nowhere closer to resolving the stadium and match day and ancillary revenues.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

slappy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:46 pm My view is that anyone wanting to do a proper project with OUFC needs at least £25 million spare to sort out the stadium and running the club.

Or else they need to factor in losing anywhere from £1million to £2million a year. Eales had his exceptional two years of player sales and cup runs, but left the club nowhere near sustainable and nowhere closer to resolving the stadium and match day and ancillary revenues.
Absolutely. And a couple of our board members have that kind of money to burn. I’m becoming ever more convinced that Tiger is basically waiting for the bigger players to take over (and probably shitting himself that they might not). Hence the desire to keep the off-field stuff as quiet as possible for fear of putting Erick and Horst off. What Tiger thinks he’ll get out of it is anybody’s guess - a finger in another land deal pie probably.

I don’t like relying on mega-rich foreigners to come in and save us, but it’s about the only hope we have at the moment. I just hope that somebody is thinking about a contingency in case it all goes tits up. I can’t help wondering how a relegation would affect things too...
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

slappy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:46 pm My view is that anyone wanting to do a proper project with OUFC needs at least £25 million spare to sort out the stadium and running the club.

I agree with this. If we are talking about a sustainable new stadium (complex), I think we might need to add another £10m to that.

I’m not convinced that the KasStad can be a sustainable option though.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Absolutely. And a couple of our board members have that kind of money to burn. I’m becoming ever more convinced that Tiger is basically waiting for the bigger players to take over (and probably shitting himself that they might not). Hence the desire to keep the off-field stuff as quiet as possible for fear of putting Erick and Horst off. What Tiger thinks he’ll get out of it is anybody’s guess - a finger in another land deal pie probably.

I don’t like relying on mega-rich foreigners to come in and save us, but it’s about the only hope we have at the moment. I just hope that somebody is thinking about a contingency in case it all goes tits up. I can’t help wondering how a relegation would affect things too...
There is some debate whether those board members have the cash available, given that the former Inter owner had to sell his shares in that club to repay debts.