Sunderland

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2367
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:57 pm

Re: Sunderland

Post by OUFC4eva » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:46 pm

We’ve really struggled to sell 8,000 tickets to U’s fans for Saturday.

We probably have around 4,000 season ticket holders this season
so we’ve shifted around 4,000 on top on this despite ‘ marketing ‘ the game
since early January.

Latest update - 9,836 as of tonight including 1,800 from the North East.

I would say it’s an attractive fixture and a massive match. I think we can win it.

OtmoorYellow
Puberty
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: Sunderland

Post by OtmoorYellow » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 am

I'm not going to continue the Brexit element on here as so much predictionist rubbish is spouted about what "will" happen post 29 March and I can see tiny elements already creeping into comments on this thread. It seems almost impossible to have a grown up discussion anywhere on the subject of Brexit, because so many people allow their thinking to be clouded by their political views, by their interpretive moral views, by unrealistic predictions, by conflation of forecasts with facts, or even desired political outcome with facts, and by imposition by the commentator of what they want the wider audience to believe of their political opponent. Ever was it so in political Britain. So there endeth the sermon.

Onto Saturday, I'm not surprised by the lack of ticket sales. Form and league position are fundamental to ticket sales in football. To the casual fan, the game looks like a hiding to nothing, and who wants to spend their hard earned to watch an "almost certain defeat"? Such is the marketing power of the Premier League, that if this were a cup tie against a Premiership Sunderland, people would be queuing round the block for tickets. The lack of high profile new signings in January probably hasn't helped. A string of negative stories about the club probably hasn't helped. A distant owner probably hasn't helped.

We may well hit the 10,000 target, but it hasn't been easy and doesn't bode well for the club with an owner, who probably doesn't have that much cash to spend, who thinks that development of the brand in Asia would be easy because the city is world famous. Setting targets like that in public is just setting up the club to fail.

As for the game, whilst I would hope and expect any Oxford side to be looking to win every home match, I'm not sure it will be that easy.

Dr Bob
Mid-life Crisis
Posts: 870
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Sunderland

Post by Dr Bob » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 am

OtmoorYellow wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 am
who thinks that development of the brand in Asia would be easy because the city is world famous. Setting targets like that in public is just setting up the club to fail.
So, a bit like pro-hard Brexit supporters, who believe the country can surge forward, freed from the EUs shackles, because we are Great Britain and we can have our cake and eat it...

Werthers Original
Dashing young thing
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Oxford

Re: Sunderland

Post by Werthers Original » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:12 am

There’s no point sitting on the fence and being all reasonable about Brexit - it’s a very important and divisive issue with extra dimensions of class division and far right manipulation.

Anyway, I disagree that a Premiership team would always be such a draw. Would people really go mad for Fulham or Bournemouth?

OtmoorYellow
Puberty
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: Sunderland

Post by OtmoorYellow » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:44 am

Dr Bob wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 am
OtmoorYellow wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 am
who thinks that development of the brand in Asia would be easy because the city is world famous. Setting targets like that in public is just setting up the club to fail.
So, a bit like pro-hard Brexit supporters, who believe the country can surge forward, freed from the EUs shackles, because we are Great Britain and we can have our cake and eat it...
There you go, fits my description perfectly...

I'm only surprised you didn't mention the side of a bus, racism, and pending economic apocolypse. We're all doomed!

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:16 pm

Re: Sunderland

Post by Kernow Yellow » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm

recordmeister wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:45 pm
Isn’t it time we found some satire in this?
There's nothing like a good bit of satire. And your opening post was nothing like a good bit of etc. I concur with Tom's opening paragraph. Just because Brexit is going to fuck the country over (and it will), there's no need to revel in the misfortune of others. And just because 60% of voters in Sunderland voted Leave, that leaves a hell of a lot of folk that didn't, including I'm sure many of the car workers. There's far more worthy objects of (sat)ire than the people of the North East - Dyson and his moral vacuum cleaner for a start.

Anyway, onto far more important footballing matters. While enjoying Salut Sunderland's pre-match interview with a random Oxford fan, I can't help wondering why the various RO forum members in the accompanying photo appear to be at the wrong end of Wembley Stadium!

recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:34 am
Location: London

Re: Sunderland

Post by recordmeister » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm
Dyson and his moral vacuum cleaner for a start.
Well, with Dyson basing his UK business in Wilshire, I'm sure I could find some 'banter' about this should Sat be a visit from Slumdon, not from Sunderland. Anyway, it seems my point - making a visiting team seem as unwelcome as possible for the 90 mins the match is on, in a game where 3 points is do-able, and vital in this relegation battle in which we find ourselves - was missed, fogged over by politics. I see very little difference in this and the 'work in the summer...' chants which ring around away grounds when we visit bygone seaside towns, but maybe that's just me...

On to Saturday: a winnable game. An ex-Oxford player and an ex-Sunderland player on each side will make for an entertaining skirmish (although Mags was well off form in the game at SoL). It's a big crowd and we have a habit of bottling it when we have a packed KassStad. I'm going for 1-1 draw and us getting even more knee-deep in the bottom four.

Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 3:17 pm

Re: Sunderland

Post by Myles Francis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:59 pm

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm
Anyway, onto far more important footballing matters. While enjoying Salut Sunderland's pre-match interview with a random Oxford fan, I can't help wondering why the various RO forum members in the accompanying photo appear to be at the wrong end of Wembley Stadium!
Said collective was in a box which was at the "wrong" end.....

Dr Bob
Mid-life Crisis
Posts: 870
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Sunderland

Post by Dr Bob » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:16 pm

OtmoorYellow wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:44 am
Dr Bob wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 am
OtmoorYellow wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 am
who thinks that development of the brand in Asia would be easy because the city is world famous. Setting targets like that in public is just setting up the club to fail.
So, a bit like pro-hard Brexit supporters, who believe the country can surge forward, freed from the EUs shackles, because we are Great Britain and we can have our cake and eat it...
There you go, fits my description perfectly...

I'm only surprised you didn't mention the side of a bus, racism, and pending economic apocolypse. We're all doomed!
I know it fits perfectly - that is why it was so easy to take what you said about Tiger and align it with some of the Brexit statements that are regular tropes used by pro-Brexit supporters.

As for the other points, we do not, nor have we ever, paid anything like as much as £350mn per week into the EU budget. Fact.

Whilst I have no doubt that a small percentage of Brexiters are racists, I wrote previously that the main issue amongst Leave voters was economic precarity and exclusion being the main driver. Don't try to stick labels on me when the evidence is lacking - I never have, nor would I ever, claim that Leave was a vote driven by racism and it is disgusting that you would accuse anybody of such a thing without any proof at all.

As for economic apocalypse, that sort of language is just meaningless drivel. Since June 2016, we have already seen a slowdown in economic growth that other OECD countries have not experienced (well apart from Italy - whoopdy-doo), we have seen a marked slowdown in inward FDI, with the general weakening of the economy reflected in a marked decline in the performance of the principal UK stock indices relative to the other major OECD countries. That is not an apocalypse but it is a worsening of our economy as a result of the Brexit vote and the government's response to it. And if we leave the Single European market and/or the customs union the situation WILL get worse. We just do not know by how much.

Oh - and I would love to see us win tomorrow, but I cannot see it happening.

Radley Rambler
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1940
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Sunderland

Post by Radley Rambler » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Whilst we're at it, what about Wales and South Wales in particular. Majority voted to leave despite being the beneficiaries of huge EU subsidies where it has a net gain of £245m per year.

Still that's what happens when you let idiots vote on important matters.

Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2415
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Nowhere near Treviso

Re: Sunderland

Post by Ancient Colin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:27 pm

In one of my other lives, I prowl a time trial cycling forum; one of its areas is a "Non-Cyling" area and in that area there is a "Brexit - What Now?" thread (normal threads deal with what's the best tyre pressure for a Continental GT 5000 tubular tyre with Stans anti-puncture, or how many watts saving the reduction in drag resistance from D2Z trip socks gives you over a 10m course). It is now up to 297 pages and 8,857 posts. In the two and a half years it's been in existence I don't think there is a single poster that has changed their mind or position, despite all the arguments, evidence and disputes. I fear it's a topic with so much confirmation bias, echo chamber effects and ideological filters, that rational debate isn't feasible. Count me out here!

recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:34 am
Location: London

Re: Sunderland

Post by recordmeister » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:21 pm

Ancient Colin wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:27 pm
In one of my other lives, I prowl a time trial cycling forum; one of its areas is a "Non-Cyling" area and in that area there is a "Brexit - What Now?" thread (normal threads deal with what's the best tyre pressure for a Continental GT 5000 tubular tyre with Stans anti-puncture, or how many watts saving the reduction in drag resistance from D2Z trip socks gives you over a 10m course). It is now up to 297 pages and 8,857 posts. In the two and a half years it's been in existence I don't think there is a single poster that has changed their mind or position, despite all the arguments, evidence and disputes. I fear it's a topic with so much confirmation bias, echo chamber effects and ideological filters, that rational debate isn't feasible. Count me out here!
Yes yes, but what will the score be tomorrow??

OtmoorYellow
Puberty
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: Sunderland

Post by OtmoorYellow » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:27 pm

Dr Bob wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:16 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:44 am
Dr Bob wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 am

So, a bit like pro-hard Brexit supporters, who believe the country can surge forward, freed from the EUs shackles, because we are Great Britain and we can have our cake and eat it...
There you go, fits my description perfectly...

I'm only surprised you didn't mention the side of a bus, racism, and pending economic apocolypse. We're all doomed!
I know it fits perfectly - that is why it was so easy to take what you said about Tiger and align it with some of the Brexit statements that are regular tropes used by pro-Brexit supporters.

As for the other points, we do not, nor have we ever, paid anything like as much as £350mn per week into the EU budget. Fact.

Whilst I have no doubt that a small percentage of Brexiters are racists, I wrote previously that the main issue amongst Leave voters was economic precarity and exclusion being the main driver. Don't try to stick labels on me when the evidence is lacking - I never have, nor would I ever, claim that Leave was a vote driven by racism and it is disgusting that you would accuse anybody of such a thing without any proof at all.

As for economic apocalypse, that sort of language is just meaningless drivel. Since June 2016, we have already seen a slowdown in economic growth that other OECD countries have not experienced (well apart from Italy - whoopdy-doo), we have seen a marked slowdown in inward FDI, with the general weakening of the economy reflected in a marked decline in the performance of the principal UK stock indices relative to the other major OECD countries. That is not an apocalypse but it is a worsening of our economy as a result of the Brexit vote and the government's response to it. And if we leave the Single European market and/or the customs union the situation WILL get worse. We just do not know by how much.

Oh - and I would love to see us win tomorrow, but I cannot see it happening.
I didn't accused you of anything.

And for the reasons set out above, I'm not playing.

Radley Rambler
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1940
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Sunderland

Post by Radley Rambler » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:33 pm

recordmeister wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:21 pm
Ancient Colin wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:27 pm
In one of my other lives, I prowl a time trial cycling forum; one of its areas is a "Non-Cyling" area and in that area there is a "Brexit - What Now?" thread (normal threads deal with what's the best tyre pressure for a Continental GT 5000 tubular tyre with Stans anti-puncture, or how many watts saving the reduction in drag resistance from D2Z trip socks gives you over a 10m course). It is now up to 297 pages and 8,857 posts. In the two and a half years it's been in existence I don't think there is a single poster that has changed their mind or position, despite all the arguments, evidence and disputes. I fear it's a topic with so much confirmation bias, echo chamber effects and ideological filters, that rational debate isn't feasible. Count me out here!
Yes yes, but what will the score be tomorrow??
1-1

Hog
Grumpy old git
Posts: 4393
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:30 pm

Re: Sunderland

Post by Hog » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:55 pm

Never mind the score tomorrow, I need to know what's the best tyre pressure for a Continental GT 5000 tubular tyre with Stans anti-puncture.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests