Robinson Out

Anything yellow and blue
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Robinson Out

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Agreed that the #10 should have got a red card. From the SSU, it looked as if the referee was going to send him off, then changed his mind. If he changed his mind because Hanson got up, that's awful, as it endorses the rolling around antics we so often see.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Old Abingdonian wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:37 pm Agreed that the #10 should have got a red card. From the SSU, it looked as if the referee was going to send him off, then changed his mind. If he changed his mind because Hanson got up, that's awful, as it endorses the rolling around antics we so often see.
Yes - one of the Pompey players was quick to haul Hanson up to his feet and I was thinking 'best to stay down' which sort of shows that the rolling around antics are part and parcel these days, if you can't beat them.......
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Whether judged serious foul play or violent conduct (my immediate reaction was the latter) a red card is given for the action, not its consequences. If red cards are only going to be given if a player is injured (or at least pretends to be - and how can the ref distinguish?), then the upshot is most likely to be more injuries.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

On a different thread, just before Christmas, I said that 1 defeat in 16 is excellent form, however you look at it (that is, whether we win or draw). As more games pass and as we get closer to the sharp end of the season, then the stat quoted on RadOx after the Peterborough match, that we have now won 2 of 13 games since the start of December, is seriously worrying. Last season, Robinson stabilised us around 16th/17th for the last few weeks. This season we have not been higher than 18th. At all. All season.

On the RadOx phone-in yesterday, the discussion seemed more focused on not having lost (until yesterday) in our recent run of games against the top sides. On reflection, from where we stand now the win against Portsmouth was the odd one out, with theirs and Sunderland's recent other results suggesting that our results against them reflected their travails as much as our success.

Make no mistake - Peterborough are a nasty side, allowed by the ref to get away with far too much cheating. But how many chances did we really create? That one long-range effort from Brannagan? So many passes went astray. Henry had an off-day yesterday, but are we now so dependent on him that we cannot function? Balls down the middle towards Sinclair were routinely won by their central defenders. Graham generally had a very good game, but cannot do it all on his own. And as for Jamie Hanson - why?

So, from KR stabilising us around 16th last season, we have not been above 18th this season. We have now won the joint fewest number of games in the Division. We have no consistency (apart from our inability to win games). How much longer should KR be allowed to have?

As for the off-the-field issues, I shall look forward to the observations of those who are much closer to those involved than I.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

You know things are desperate when the manager sends his goalkeeper up for a corner in a home game in the middle of February. Except he'd already done it at Wimbledon - in September!

Robinson out.

But who would be mad enough to take the job on now?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

No! Stop moaning! It’s got nothing to do with KR. It’s all our fault:

“When there’s an atmosphere in the ground we’re great, but when it’s not, we let games slip away.”

#GodComplex
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I know we all like a pile on, but that quote doesn't really imply it's the fans fault. He also said -

"The whole thing was flat. The performance did not get the fans off their feet, the performance did not keep the fans behind them.

You can’t come here and say ‘it was quiet’, well you’ve got a responsibility to the fans to perform.

Win tackles, be aggressive, play forwards, get it your wingers and get your crosses in."

Anyway, we're obviously in big trouble. However I can't see Tiger sacking the manager, given he's already complaining about unexpected costs, he's hardly going to create another one.

We are stuck again I think with an owner who doesn't really care enough and that has an impact all over the club. Like Kassam, but without the financial awareness.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I thought it was interesting listening to the 5 minute ask our MD chat that he was asked about the ultras quitting and given it a load of flannel about how the club needed to improve the match day experience whilst presumably being fully aware they were going to make it impossible for the ultras to get in the ground that day. If he wasn't aware he's a pretty hopeless MD.

We're down where we are because we have no-one who is any good at goal-scoring. We had the pre-season and then all of Jan to rectify this. We utterly failed to do so. This puts enormous pressure on the rest of the team to not make a mistake as they know we will find it very hard to get it back. We very rarely lead games and therefore very rarely win games.

I am unclear as to whether this is the fault or Robbo for failing to get a striker in or our chairman for failing to fund someone decent.

Some massive games coming up - I would have taken the points tally from the recent run of games beforehand, now we have to build on that - couple of wins and we will pull clear as other teams have done.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Our 'goals for' is actually OK, we've scored more than Coventry and Blackpool. You could argue that our fragility at the back is a greater problem. Whichever way you look at it, we are consistently failing to benefit from good approach play and periods of dominance.

We weren't terrible against Posh, who were a formidable outfit. Couple of away wins on the trot and we'll all be happy! :P
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Werthers Original wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:46 pm Our 'goals for' is actually OK, we've scored more than Coventry and Blackpool. You could argue that our fragility at the back is a greater problem. Whichever way you look at it, we are consistently failing to benefit from good approach play and periods of dominance.

We weren't terrible against Posh, who were a formidable outfit. Couple of away wins on the trot and we'll all be happy! :P
A couple of away wins on the trot? Well one for the season would be a start.

I'm finding it very difficult to see any justification for Robinson keeping his job. Even financial is not a justification, because relegation would cost more.

MApp is still out of work...
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 am
I'm finding it very difficult to see any justification for Robinson keeping his job.
Not wishing to be an apologist for what has been a terrible season on the field, I do have a hefty chunk of sympathy for Robinson and the environment he has to work in. He has an absentee chairman, an MD with minimal football background, tales of facilities lacking at the training ground and the constant threat of bills and wages not being paid. That may well not be enough to justify results, but it does go some way to putting it in context.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Myles Francis wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 am
OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 am
I'm finding it very difficult to see any justification for Robinson keeping his job.
Not wishing to be an apologist for what has been a terrible season on the field, I do have a hefty chunk of sympathy for Robinson and the environment he has to work in. He has an absentee chairman, an MD with minimal football background, tales of facilities lacking at the training ground and the constant threat of bills and wages not being paid. That may well not be enough to justify results, but it does go some way to putting it in context.
I would find that easier to accept if we more regularly performed in the manner of our infrequent 'good' performances. Because they show what the team is capable of, their infrequency and the team's inconsistency raises footballing questions, beyond these contextual factors, which are more or less constant.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

This is totally irrelevant though isn't it? Robinson isn't going to be sacked, the club has no money, the owner has no money and the owner will not sack him for that reason alone. Short term financial costs are not being met, given we keep getting winding up orders, so the medium term financial costs of relegation are hardly going to be a priority.
Even back in the late 90's, when the builders stopped at Minchery we never (if I recall correctly) had a winding up order. It's times like this we need some local investigative journalists, but I don't think they exist any more.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Isaac wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:34 am This is totally irrelevant though isn't it? Robinson isn't going to be sacked, the club has no money, the owner has no money and the owner will not sack him for that reason alone. Short term financial costs are not being met, given we keep getting winding up orders, so the medium term financial costs of relegation are hardly going to be a priority.
Even back in the late 90's, when the builders stopped at Minchery we never (if I recall correctly) had a winding up order. It's times like this we need some local investigative journalists, but I don't think they exist any more.
Do you really regard 3 months as being medium term?
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:16 pm
Isaac wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:34 am This is totally irrelevant though isn't it? Robinson isn't going to be sacked, the club has no money, the owner has no money and the owner will not sack him for that reason alone. Short term financial costs are not being met, given we keep getting winding up orders, so the medium term financial costs of relegation are hardly going to be a priority.
Do you really regard 3 months as being medium term?
Well, yes, given there's a winding up order on the club next week, there's a chance the club won't exist in 3 months. Or, we will be in administration, with a ten point deduction, in which case we're relegated anyway. So yes, 3 months is medium term currently.

I know we've had 4 winding up orders now, so maybe it's become accepted that this is how you run a business/football club - i.e. only pay your bills at the very last chance saloon, but it's not normal, or correct.