January Transfer Window

Anything yellow and blue
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: January Transfer Window

Post by Boogie »

Glenavon website saying that terms have been agreed between them and OUFC for Mark Sykes.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

From my NI contact:

“Very talented player. One of my biggest regrets is that we never set him free at Glenavon - when he breaks forward reminds me off a Stevie G in full flow.

Lacks a big of grit - not the worlds most keen tackler, but he has a knack of winning free kicks; not sure how much of that is due to local refs giving him more protection.

By head and shoulders the most talented player in the Irish league at the moment. Surprised it’s taken him so long to go. Seems to be good buds with Gavin Whyte - so should settle quick.

We will miss him dreadfully.”
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

So Mark Sykes confirmed.

Looks a promising signing but not a striker.

Preston possibly looking in pole position for Jayden Stockley - Peter Crouch anyone?
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Boogie wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:02 pm So Mark Sykes confirmed.

Looks a promising signing but not a striker.

Preston possibly looking in pole position for Jayden Stockley - Peter Crouch anyone?
Stockley has gone to Preston for £750K
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Sam Surridge...He is leaving Oldham today after playing in the win at Fulham, to be loaned back out by Bournemouth?

If so, hope it’s to us.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I see Malachi Napa has come back to us following a loan spell at Sol Campbell's Macclesfield Town™.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next. He flourished initially under Robinson, who really talked him up as a prospect - so much so that I was very surprised we loaned him out. The arrival of so many other wingers and attacking midfielders partly explained the rationale, but with all the injuries, I'd expect Napa to now get his chance (at least from the bench). If he doesn't take it, I'd imagine he'll leave in the summer.

Meanwhile, the forgotten man Fiacre Kelleher has remained at Sol Campbell's Macclesfield Town™ where he has been starting regularly. His contract is up in the summer, by which time he'll have spent a season playing regular football in non-league (for Solihull) and a season in Div 4. Anyone have any insights as to whether or not he's seen as a prospect, or one to release come June?
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Algerian international Ahmed Kashi (ex Charlton) at CPF tonight and signing tomorrow?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Boogie wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:31 pm Algerian international Ahmed Kashi (ex Charlton) at CPF tonight and signing tomorrow?
Yes indeed.
https://www.banburycake.co.uk/sport/173 ... rd-united/
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Boogie wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:31 pm Algerian international Ahmed Kashi (ex Charlton) at CPF tonight and signing tomorrow?
If he plays in the same position as Mousinho (ref: KR on official site) I'm not convinced this is what we need, especially if, as is being reported elsewhere, he hasn't played since August.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:06 pm
If he plays in the same position as Mousinho (ref: KR on official site) I'm not convinced this is what we need, especially if, as is being reported elsewhere, he hasn't played since August.
Looking at their three December fixtures, he came on as a sub in the 87th, 58th and 25th minute so the other side are wrong.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

And now Cameron Norman is sold to Walsall.

So we've now lost both dedicated right-backs during this window without (so far) replacing them. We've also lost a player who most people felt was young, promising and developing well but who'd clearly fallen out with KR.

Thing are definitely, clearly, emphatically Not Good.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:54 pm And now Cameron Norman is sold to Walsall.

So we've now lost both dedicated right-backs during this window without (so far) replacing them. We've also lost a player who most people felt was young, promising and developing well but who'd clearly fallen out with KR.

Thing are definitely, clearly, emphatically Not Good.
And another to one of our rivals.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

He's a bit like Canice Carroll, young and promising but very gung-ho. We have two other right backs, let's use the money for a striker or two.

Not sure why people are being concerned about this minor bit of news rather than celebrating the fact that star forward Marcus Browne is staying!
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

So Holmes has gone back to the Blades with his back problem to sort out. But welcome back Napa with a chest infection.

Not unhappy that Holmes has gone back as we have Marcus Browne staying and Sykes also.

I thought Napa looked good pre-season at Aldershot so hoping that his poor experience at Macca was down to wrong team/position and injuries?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Tick tock. Tempus fugit, and still no striker.

KR was on Radio Oxford earlier saying that "the success of moves for some of Oxford United's transfer targets remains dependent on movement at the clubs involved". I'm not sure whether or not it's come as news to him that this sometimes happens. What's the Plan B though if those deals fall through? Does he have another Ulsterman up his sleeve - a Northern Ireland backstop, if you will?

I'm all for signing young talent, but we've been bitten by the Sam Smith deal this season, and now we're waiting on other putative deals before we can complete on KR's targets. Rather than chasing Div 2 ("Championship") players who might maybe sign for us but only if their current clubs can complete their deals first, would there not have been mileage in bringing in a proven Div 4 or Conference striker with a track record of goals? At least it'd give us a focus.

We were all saying back in July that we needed a proven goalscorer, if not two. It's become even more obvious during the last five months that without one, we will almost certainly be relegated. The failure (so far) of our manager to sign one during his last chance this season to do so is negligent.