January Transfer Window

Anything yellow and blue
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

January Transfer Window

Post by Boogie »

Close enough to start a thread now.

What do we need?

Another striker - but who? No more than one please as I think the youngsters should be allowed sub appearances, especially if mid table security looms.

Assuming Jordan Graham signs we will have plenty of width and with injuries due to clear up are we covered in midfield. I see Mark Sykes of Glenavon has been linked to us, perhaps due to Gavin Whyte's progression.

A new left back - Luke Garbutt to go back to Everton?

Centre back - only if Nelson goes?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: January Transfer Window

Post by Dr Bob »

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/12/10/h ... dees-nabi/

This is a striker we are being linked with.

On the centre back question, Raglan looked really good when he got a run in the team previously, and I believe he played well when used in a recent cup match. Also, how is Kelleher progressing? Given that we also have cover from Long and Mousinho if needed, I would want to know more about how our current players are doing. On the other hand, if they are deemed not good enough...

I agree completely with you on the left back position. It cannot be in Garbutt's or Everton's interest to have him here on loan but not playing. And we simply do not have depth of cover in the way we do with RB.

I remain unconvinced about our midfield, specifically a central midfield playmaker in the Jim Magilton mould. Trouble is, I think that then raises questions about finding a balance between strength in midfield when not in possession, and having pace and width in numbers in attack (as we have with Henry, Browne and Whyte). Branagan's greater effectiveness this season in a more advanced role suggests to me he is not that player.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Dr Bob wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:03 am https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/12/10/h ... dees-nabi/

On the centre back question, Raglan looked really good when he got a run in the team previously, and I believe he played well when used in a recent cup match. Also, how is Kelleher progressing? Given that we also have cover from Long and Mousinho if needed, I would want to know more about how our current players are doing. On the other hand, if they are deemed not good enough...

I agree completely with you on the left back position. It cannot be in Garbutt's or Everton's interest to have him here on loan but not playing. And we simply do not have depth of cover in the way we do with RB.

I remain unconvinced about our midfield, specifically a central midfield playmaker in the Jim Magilton mould. Trouble is, I think that then raises questions about finding a balance between strength in midfield when not in possession, and having pace and width in numbers in attack (as we have with Henry, Browne and Whyte). Branagan's greater effectiveness this season in a more advanced role suggests to me he is not that player.
I believe there are recall clauses in all the loan agreements except for this one.......of course both clubs could mutually agree to introduce one.

Re the striker - January is not a good time source players, we should look for a loan agreement with a championship striker who is sat on the bench but has 'done it' at League 1 level. Game time for them and minimal risk for us before we look in the summer for a more permanent fixture.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Radley Rambler wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:26 pm
Dr Bob wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:03 am https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/12/10/h ... dees-nabi/

I believe there are recall clauses in all the loan agreements except for this one.......of course both clubs could mutually agree to introduce one.

Re the striker - January is not a good time source players, we should look for a loan agreement with a championship striker who is sat on the bench but has 'done it' at League 1 level. Game time for them and minimal risk for us before we look in the summer for a more permanent fixture.
...and our last foray into Scotland for a striker did not work out so well...
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Honest question: has it ever?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

recordmeister wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:30 pm Honest question: has it ever?
Derek Lilley 12 goals from 61 appearances. So probably not. Hemmings is probably as close as we came in terms of goals scored, but I cannot recall his goals that often being critical to the outcome of matches.

Given the two-way movement of players between the Scottish Prem and English 3rd and 4th divisions, that is probably the right level for most, but does anybody know how many good goalscorers in Scotland playing for teams other than Celtic and Rangers end up moving to Glasgow? Maybe those who would be better than average at our level go elsewhere?
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

recordmeister wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:30 pm Honest question: has it ever?
Dean Windass? Arguably more than just a striker, but still.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

If you believe Big Alan on the other side this one's a done deal ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayden_Stockley
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Striker please. That is by far the biggest priority.

I'm happy with the midfield.
I'm happy with the goalkeeping.

Both full back positions could do with upgrading as well.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:06 pm Striker please. That is by far the biggest priority.

I'm happy with the midfield.
I'm happy with the goalkeeping.

Both full back positions could do with upgrading as well.
Basically this, although personally I think we're fine at right-back. What has Cameron Norman done to upset KR? His performances were mostly good and mostly improving, so one can only infer that it's something off the pitch. Between him, McMahon, Hanson and Long, I think we're covered there. We desperately need a proper dedicated left-back who's up to the job though.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I have now lost track of the number of Championship clubs reportedly interested in signing Browne on loan in January. As was suggested a while back - might the signing of Jordan Graham in part be preparation for this by Oxford?

On the other hand, will West Ham want a club to offer Browne the same game-time as he is getting with us, or will simply being at a Championship club be seen as sufficient to push his development forward?? How many clubs considered 'good enough' for this would be willing to offer him a starting place, or at least sufficient game-time, for him really to test himself at Championship level?

In other news, we have been linked with Bradford midfielder Josh Wright:
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/12/20/p ... er-wright/

Apparently KR has tried to sign him previously.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Looks like Browne is off doesn't it which rather highlights the frustrations of the loan system. If they do well, they are recalled and sent elsewhere like Payne last year. If they don't do well we are stuck with a not good enough player with no incentive to improve them. I'd much rather we relied far less on it going forward - Roofe worked really well, but he wanted to come here and saw the benefit of it for his future career. Browne seems to think he is too good for us and would rather sit on the bench at a Championship club. If I was him I would be looking to leave West Ham. He has done ok for us but very much in flashes rather than consistently good. He should be coming to a club like us to get a full season of playing under his belt and then push on - as lego, Lunny Rothwell did. We should go back to getting a unpolished gem from a Premier league academy, polish them up for a couple of years and sell on for a good profit - worked really well for us so why have we stopped it.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I don't think this necessarily represents a change in policy. Circumstances change. It may well be that the big clubs are looking to reduce the number of Kemar Roofes who escape - after all, letting him go will have cost WBA quite a bit of money, even for them. We (amongst others) may be the victims of our own success in this. Sadly, the outcome may well be more players stockpiled by the premier league clubs, in case they come good.

Equally, it may be that KR hoped that Browne would stay the year, and then perhaps sign. We have signed both Brannagan and Hanson with a view to potential profit, whether they come good or not. The fault, as ever, is with the distorted system which allows the premier league clubs every opportunity to find and retain the best talent.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

When complaining about the loan system, remember that we use it as well for developing talent. 5 U23s have gone out on loan today and we have 13 of our development squads out on loan in total now.

I tend to agree with Abingdon, the entire football structure is now set up to maximise benefits for Premier League clubs.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

So Jordan Graham in Santa’s sack.

Jayden Stockley please for that surprise late present that arrives post Christmas.