You're winding me up!

Anything yellow and blue
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Re: You're winding me up!

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Myles Francis wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:58 pm That statement is simply embarrassing.
Yes it is.

Especially only a few days after the club failed to pay its non-playing staff resulting in a strike at the club, and having only just scraped enough together to pay the players.

With Kassam not having been paid, and staff not being paid, it makes you wonder how many others are owed money as well.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Speaking of embarrassing statements, try this article for a spot of 'factual inaccuracy bingo':

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2019/04/engla ... adium_debt
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 am Speaking of embarrassing statements, try this article for a spot of 'factual inaccuracy bingo':

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2019/04/engla ... adium_debt
Jesus wept. It has the double whammy of being factual wrong and appearing to be translated badly from the original Korean (or Thai!).

On the subject matter, I don't appear to have seen any comment from OxVox on this latest WUP....
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Anyone else anticipating a club statement in a week or so regarding the ownership of Oxford United? It's long been rumoured that Erick Thohir is the likely chairman in the long-term and that Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth will make a quick buck from his brief tenure and then ride off into the sunset.

Thohir first had to clear the decks vis-a-vis his financial stake in Inter Milan, which seemingly happened earlier this year. He then had to deal with some domestic business, having agreed to manage the re-election campaign of the sitting Indonesian President. Wikipedia tells me that the campaign is now over, and although votes are still being counted it appears that his man is the likely victor. Not relevant to Oxford United, but a footnote should be added to the effect that more than 270 election officials died as a result of fatigue from dealing with the immense scale of the elections.

Anyway, it now seems that he has both the financial capability and 'bandwidth' (urgh, horrible term) to focus his energies on maximising his investment at Oxford United FC. Given his track record of overseeing stadium challenges (at DC United, and at Inter), one would imagine that he sees potential financial gains in securing a deal to move us away from Grenoble Road, and this is the genesis of his interest in the club.

As for what it could mean for Us on the pitch, he clearly has wealth but is unlikely to be a generous sugar daddy. More likely is that we'd operate with a similar budget to what we have currently, with any investment being directed towards a new stadium.

Lots of assumptions there, but is there broad consensus that this is where we're headed next?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

News story 11:33 30 April.

Jokowi's Campaign Chief Rules Out Future Indonesia Cabinet Role
(Bloomberg) -- Erick Thohir, who steered the successful re-election campaign of Indonesian president Joko Widodo, ruled out joining the cabinet and plans to return to running businesses ranging from a radio station to an English soccer club.

“I don’t want to be in cabinet. I want to go back to being a businessman,” said Thohir, a former shareholder of FC Internazionale Milano SpA , or Inter Milan, D.C. United and the Philadelphia 76ers. “It’s been a tough three years doing the Asian Games and now the election.”
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

I am genuinely excited by this but not getting carried away until the man himself makes a formal statement........

Perhaps those dark days of trips to Droylesden, St. Albans, Grays, Hayes & Yeading etc. might just have been worth it after all. Where was I when we were sh*t, see the aforementioned!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Though I have to wonder if we are just going down the same loop of club and stadium being separated again, with owner keeping all the ancillaries leaving the club without all the key non-ticket income? Also as the club is losing so much money, how long is this sustainable?
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:57 am Anyone else anticipating a club statement in a week or so regarding the ownership of Oxford United? It's long been rumoured that Erick Thohir is the likely chairman in the long-term and that Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth will make a quick buck from his brief tenure and then ride off into the sunset.

Thohir first had to clear the decks vis-a-vis his financial stake in Inter Milan, which seemingly happened earlier this year. He then had to deal with some domestic business, having agreed to manage the re-election campaign of the sitting Indonesian President. Wikipedia tells me that the campaign is now over, and although votes are still being counted it appears that his man is the likely victor. Not relevant to Oxford United, but a footnote should be added to the effect that more than 270 election officials died as a result of fatigue from dealing with the immense scale of the elections.

Anyway, it now seems that he has both the financial capability and 'bandwidth' (urgh, horrible term) to focus his energies on maximising his investment at Oxford United FC. Given his track record of overseeing stadium challenges (at DC United, and at Inter), one would imagine that he sees potential financial gains in securing a deal to move us away from Grenoble Road, and this is the genesis of his interest in the club.

As for what it could mean for Us on the pitch, he clearly has wealth but is unlikely to be a generous sugar daddy. More likely is that we'd operate with a similar budget to what we have currently, with any investment being directed towards a new stadium.

Lots of assumptions there, but is there broad consensus that this is where we're headed next?
I would be surprised if that were very far from the truth.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

slappy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:51 pm Though I have to wonder if we are just going down the same loop of club and stadium being separated again, with owner keeping all the ancillaries leaving the club without all the key non-ticket income? Also as the club is losing so much money, how long is this sustainable?
If that were the case, and we don't know if it is, I think the result of your conclusion will depend on 2 things. First the level of rent charged to the club and second the security of tenure for the club.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Also for Tiger to make a quick buck if it is Thohir taking over, means Thohir would have to pay a significant amount of money just for the club, as there would be the cost of what Tiger bought the club for, plus what has had to be spent running the club since then (if of course that wasn't coming from Thohir all along?)

There is still the rest of board to consider and what their roles are.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

slappy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:10 pm Also for Tiger to make a quick buck if it is Thohir taking over, means Thohir would have to pay a significant amount of money just for the club, as there would be the cost of what Tiger bought the club for, plus what has had to be spent running the club since then (if of course that wasn't coming from Thohir all along?)

There is still the rest of board to consider and what their roles are.
Another to consider:

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2019/april/new-director/
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I'd be surprised if Tiger makes a quick buck. Unlike Eales, he hasn't transformed Us into a saleable commodity or even got Us promoted. Indeed he (or whoever his money man is) seems to have lost a fair bit of money thus far and barely kept Us ticking over, what with all the winding-up stuff going on.

More likely that he is speculating to accumulate, and his 'finders fee' is a stake in what might be a much bigger project.

I'll believe it when I see it though - just because these people have money and turned up for a photo op on Saturday doesn't mean they can suddenly solve the generations-old problem of our stadium.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

This translated from an interview with our new Director on Kompas.com

"The owners and directors of Oxford United agreed and were determined to pass the football club to the Leaque Championship or Division One Premier League, within the next two years."
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:57 am Anyone else anticipating a club statement in a week or so regarding the ownership of Oxford United? It's long been rumoured that Erick Thohir is the likely chairman in the long-term and that Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth will make a quick buck from his brief tenure and then ride off into the sunset.

Given that Bakrie is a business partner of Thohir's, this new appointment certainly adds fuel to the suggestion that Thohir will be taking over soon.

Frankly, I would prefer someone who is not a sugar daddy, because that does not a solid foundation build. Honestly, what has happened with the club recently - the youth, U18s and U23s, the training ground, key backroom staff, etc - is part of the solid foundation. I also look at the owner of Bristol City, someone who is mind-bogglingly rich but does not splash the cash willy-nilly, as someone who is building something more sustainable. If this new team takes over and is able to build on what has been done already, without going mad to buy favour, then I will be very happy.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... wn-1719630

Bristol City Guernsey based Billionaire chairman Steve Lansdowne has “ spaffed “ £118m into the club !