So when exactly...

Anything yellow and blue
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

So when exactly...

Post by Jimski »

... was the last time we tossed away a 3-0 lead?
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Re: So when exactly...

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I remember being 3 - 0 up at home at half time to Torquay, and thinking we looked so bad we probably wouldn't win. We didn't.

I've just checked... October 2007.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I don't remember Us ever losing from 3-0 up, though I do remember Us winning from 3-0 down:

https://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/f ... 985-11-23/

That Torquay game is the only other time I remember Us giving away a 3 goal lead, though I might well be wrong. Wasn't that one of our Setanta games? Pretty sure I watched it over a rubbish internet connection at home in Cornwall...
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

I'm not sure what to make of this but my list is as follows:

Positives:

- We extended the unbeaten run
- We got a point away from home at a venue where we usually lose
- Three different players scored for us
- We scored quite freely and managed the game for 60 minutes
- We battled after their third went in and secured a point
- We do seem to have turned a corner
- We've still only let in 4 goals in the last 6 games which ain't bad
- Their goals were actually quite good
- Mackie got his booking so he misses the less important Cup game
- It keeps the pressure on our Manager which is quite fun in a macabre way

Negatives:

- Could be an important 3 point swing later in the season
- Letting three goals in so quickly may be more than just unlucky/great play from them
- Impact on a fragile confidence

Would have taken a point at 3pm and Saturday's game may tell us more about the impact of this match and the manner of the result.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 am I don't remember Us ever losing from 3-0 up, though I do remember Us winning from 3-0 down:

That Torquay game is the only other time I remember Us giving away a 3 goal lead, though I might well be wrong. Wasn't that one of our Setanta games? Pretty sure I watched it over a rubbish internet connection at home in Cornwall...
I thought it happened once many years ago at home to Slumdon - with them coming back through a Don Goodman hat-trick if I recall correctly.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I agree with Radley Rambler, but with one more positive to add - we now have two cup games to get that feels-like-a-defeat out of the system before the serious business starts again.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Dr Bob wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:10 pm
Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 am I don't remember Us ever losing from 3-0 up, though I do remember Us winning from 3-0 down:

I thought it happened once many years ago at home to Slumdon - with them coming back through a Don Goodman hat-trick if I recall correctly.
Doesn't look like it. I have a feeling we might have been 2-0 up in the home game we lost 4-2 in 1990 - confirmed by this video. No-one scored a hattrick though, and Don Goodman never played for Sw*nd*n! But apart from that...

Edit - assuming you mean losing from a 3 goal lead, which hasn't happened against Them. I see there was a 3-3 draw in 1976, before my time! Can't find the Sw*nd*n scorers or team anywhere.

Edit 2 - I've found it! And yes, we appear to have been leading 3-0 at half time. Good memory. Kamara scored twice.

Final edit - the link doesn't work as it contains the word Sw1ndon! Blame Boris.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kamara - thanks. I knew it was someone who was now a pundit on Sky. And I get easily confused nowadays - must go and put the kettle on.