Gas

Anything yellow and blue
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Gas

Post by Boogie »

Another clean sheet but quite how we managed it, allowing for the worldie from Eastwood, is beyond me.

OK, we lost Bapstite but it was startling how we managed to become so ineffective in the second half.

Positives: full backs looking better and Whyte's willingness to run at players although this led to bookings for the opposition rather than goal attempts.

Negatives: Number of shots on target first half despite being by far the better team. Hanson and Curruthers looking off the pace. Mous struggled to contain the inter-passing around the box but what help was he getting?

I see that several of our players were struggling towards the end which delayed Smith coming on for Mackie, but it just wasn't working for him second half and as he had been booked, he was probably being a bit cautious.

Into the Valley...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Gas

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Two poor teams played out a very poor game of football. Not much more to say really.

Sure, you'd normally take a draw away from home when you're struggling, and five points from three games (with no goals conceded) is a good turnaround from previous form. But we won't play many worse teams than Bristol Rovers this season, and with the situation we find ourselves in we need to target wins in fixtures like this. Otherwise we're going to keep hanging around the danger area at the bottom of the table.

The trip to the Memorial Ground lived up to expectations in other ways too. Firstly, a fantastic selection of ales in several great pubs. Bristol is really spoilt on this front, and it makes a day out there well worth the trip. Except...

What is it with the trouble every time we go there? I'd previously thought that Rovers fans were just stuck in the past, and seemed to think it was still ok to attack opposing football fans for no reason. And I think there is an element of that. But this weekend Oxford fans were significantly contributing to the disorder up and down the Gloucester Road before and after the match. Large numbers of police were trying in vain to keep rival groups apart, as families enjoying the afternoon sunshine looked on in horror. So it must be something to do with our visits there rather than a bi-weekly occurrence. Such a shame, and embarrassing as a visiting football fan to a city I love...

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... le-2131164
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

That was certainly a "game of two halves". We were well on top in the first half, but couldn't cope with their formation (and personnel) change in the second half, and had to dig very deep indeed - and ride our luck - to escape with a draw. Still if we can get a draw from that kind of match, there's hope yet.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I see that the trouble last Saturday has caused the kick-off time of our home game on 29th December to be moved:

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/octobe ... me-change/

I'm very surprised there was only one arrest given the numbers involved in the clashes under the noses of police.