Just how desperate for a striker are we???

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Just how desperate for a striker are we???

Post by Dr Bob »

I agree Otmoor. Given what KR has said in earlier interviews, I think a contract with clauses about participating in the club's community work, and a release clause should he transgress, would be perfectly reasonable. Alternatively, pay to play would deliver much the same outcome. Luke McCormick was accepted into the club - and what he did was much worse IMHO. I guess the problem with Ranger is that he is a multiple offender (criminal and lack of professionalism wrt timekeeping, etc). Which is why, if he is given a contract of some sort, it needs to stack the cards in our favour - because only time will tell if he can stay on the straight and narrow.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Dr Bob wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:39 pm Luke McCormick was accepted into the club - and what he did was much worse IMHO.
I don’t agree with that at all. Of course the consequences of what McCormick did were much worse, but in essence he made a stupid, one-off mistake - one which many people make. We’ve had plenty of players convicted of drink-driving before after all. Ranger’s string of offences show a much worse character imo. Not to mention the genuine remorse and humility which McCormick has shown ever since his release from prison - contrast that with Ranger celebrating his first Southend goal by taking his boot off and pretending it was a machine gun spraying the crowd with bullets!

My problem with Ranger isn’t so much the crimes - after all, if you’ve served your sentence you’ve done your time, and the offences weren’t ones which make him ineligible to be a footballer. It’s the fact that he hasn’t learned his lesson again and again, and has consistently let teammates down and been a disruption to the clubs he’s been at. Too much risk for too little potential reward I reckon. If we weren’t completely desperate for a striker we wouldn’t even consider him. But we are, of course. At least until January...
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Would it be annoying at this point to say we should never have let Danny Hylton go? Allegedly he only wanted £x extra but we wouldn’t pay it, thinking he’d sign anyway. Heck, I’d take Wes Thomas back in a shot!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

KY - killing two children IS worse than playing toy guns. And letting teammates down. I also think personally that drink driving is in and of itself so disgustingly bad, because it is so utterly selfish and creates a situation where things can go that badly wrong, because of how big and dangerous cars can be when driven by someone not in control. And if you or anybody else get behind the wheel of a car after drinking, then I think you too would be a pathetic excuse for a human being. But that is just my view of drink-driving.

But do not misunderstand me - I am well aware of McCormick's post prison work and penitence. And my point (I repeat it here, so that this time you can actually read it) is that despite what McCormick had done in the past, he "was accepted into the club". So, unless you believe unreliability is worse than killing two young children, then if we can accept McCormick, we can accept Ranger. But because of his unreliability, the approach has to be to ensure that if Ranger is signed, the club protects itself with a contract that is suitably one-sided regarding get-out clauses, should he revert to criminal activity, or even fail to show up to training.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Dr Bob wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:50 am KY - killing two children IS worse than playing toy guns. And letting teammates down. I also think personally that drink driving is in and of itself so disgustingly bad, because it is so utterly selfish and creates a situation where things can go that badly wrong, because of how big and dangerous cars can be when driven by someone not in control. And if you or anybody else get behind the wheel of a car after drinking, then I think you too would be a pathetic excuse for a human being. But that is just my view of drink-driving.

But do not misunderstand me - I am well aware of McCormick's post prison work and penitence. And my point (I repeat it here, so that this time you can actually read it) is that despite what McCormick had done in the past, he "was accepted into the club". So, unless you believe unreliability is worse than killing two young children, then if we can accept McCormick, we can accept Ranger. But because of his unreliability, the approach has to be to ensure that if Ranger is signed, the club protects itself with a contract that is suitably one-sided regarding get-out clauses, should he revert to criminal activity, or even fail to show up to training.
I suspect we won't agree on this Dr Bob. I think Ranger's consistent track record of ill-discipline both in his approach to his personal life and his profession means that he is more of a danger to take on than McCormick was. The impact of the latter's actions was of course worse but in terms of level of pre-meditated intent and consistency of this intent, Ranger's record is by far worse.