Robinson Out

Anything yellow and blue
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re: Robinson Out

Post by Shoobedoo »

Hope there's room for one more on the 'Robinson Out' bus - because I'm flagging it down after that fiasco.

We'll be down by Christmas if this carries on. Simply no teamwork; no confidence; horrible, embarrassing timewasting at 1-1 (which got what it deserved); not recognising Shandon as a red card waiting to happen early enough (and why THE HELL was he given the armband anyway? Like a raw youngster will be able to handle that responsbility); and as cringeworthy an interview as ever I've heard (basically "I take the blame and will protect the players, except it wasn't my fault it was Hanson's - and it wasn't my idea to sign him").

But for an unexpected moment of individual brilliance from a player who isn't even ours, the scoreline would have been more decisive. And Luton were no great shakes (I had to keep reminding myself in the first half that it was two professional teams playing out there).

I do not believe that the players we have are really that bad. Except for maybe Obika. So whose fault is it that we are so utterly appalling?

Out, out, out.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yeah, that was dreadful. One might think Oxford were unlucky to concede such a late goal, but - no - Luton should have won that match several times over. We were utterly bereft of ideas, and beaten all over the park.
Last edited by Jimski on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Oh my that was painful.

It wasn't as if LooTown were any good themselves.

It was embarrassing. The deliberate time wasting was awful, and because of the time wasting, they had enough time to create two clear cut chances, one of which they had a goal disallowed and one of which they scored the winner. Without the time wasting, there would never have been 8 minutes of added time.

Why Baptiste wasn't subbed 20 minutes earlier is anyone's guess. The ref had warned him countless times.

Obika needs to be sent away on loan to somewhere he might score goals. Witney & Distrct should be about the right level.

Why oh why was Mitchell repeatedly trying to chip the ball over the head of the LooTown winger to get the ball to Garbutt? Or throwing it to someone with a marker just 2 or 3 yards away? Bonkers stuff.

The only players I would score more than 5 out of 10 were Holmes and Whyte, the rest were just not up to standard. We know most of these players are capable of much more, and that they are not producing, has to come down to coaching.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I would agree with this. Dickie, Brannagan and Nelson have all (and therefore can) played so much better.

Like other posters, I am unable to understand why Baptiste was not subbed at half-time. Also, surely coaching addresses how to move the ball forwards. We tried two strategies - passing out from the back in risky fashion, and when this looked too dodgy, try to hit Obika who was double marked by taller (and very competent) players. There seemed no ability to adapt, to think on our feet.

I am not trying to deflect any criticism from Robinson, but I suspect the problem is overwhelmingly confidence - players like Hanson, Dickie and Nelson are making basic mistakes that they would never normally do. Shouting at them and making endless changes won't help.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

The cynic in me thinks he's trying to get himself sacked now. After all, why wouldn't you take a nice pay-off from a club anyone can see is teetering on the brink of the abyss. You might as well get the cash while you can. Two years' pay for working (assuming we manage to stay alive that long), or two years' pay for getting the sack? Seems a no-brainer really. You'd take the money and run.

The traditional car crash interview was full of titbits last night, but the hanging to dry of Hanson followed by 'he wasn't my signing anyway' spoke volumes. You could argue he's a) trying to hint there are dark arts going on behind the scenes so any future employer might think actually this isn't all his fault b) trying to rile his employers so they sack him c) trying to lose the dressing room to hasten his departure and d) trying to turn the fans further against him to make sure the board have to act and sack him.

So then let's think about what he's cost us. How much paid to Charlton in compo? 2 years' salary? I have no idea what he earns but I'd assume it's over £100k. Then 3 1/2 years of salary. Then Shaun Derry and his salary. And upcoming pay-off. Shudder.

Hey ho. Modern football, eh? Remember when we just used to win all the time and whinge about being given free hotdogs?

Anyone got any bright ideas how we realistically get out of this mess?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Old Abingdonian wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:20 pm I am not trying to deflect any criticism from Robinson, but I suspect the problem is overwhelmingly confidence - players like Hanson, Dickie and Nelson are making basic mistakes that they would never normally do. Shouting at them and making endless changes won't help.
Don't be bashful. You are very effectively focusing criticism on what seems to be a major problem with Robinson - the effect his uncontrolled mouthing-off has on the players. It also ties in nicely with Dan's observations. Even if he is not trying to hasten his well-compensated departure, any credibility he may have had as a man-manager must surely be shot to pieces. Maybe his brashness suited Franchise well, but his record since then is not up to much.

Re my earlier posts - I still think that an imminent sacking is unlikely, but I am more and more convinced (with every passing match and crass utterance) that he should be sacked as soon as.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:37 pm Oh my that was painful.

It wasn't as if LooTown were any good themselves.

It was embarrassing. The deliberate time wasting was awful, and because of the time wasting, they had enough time to create two clear cut chances, one of which they had a goal disallowed and one of which they scored the winner. Without the time wasting, there would never have been 8 minutes of added time.

Why Baptiste wasn't subbed 20 minutes earlier is anyone's guess. The ref had warned him countless times.

Obika needs to be sent away on loan to somewhere he might score goals. Witney & Distrct should be about the right level.

Why oh why was Mitchell repeatedly trying to chip the ball over the head of the LooTown winger to get the ball to Garbutt? Or throwing it to someone with a marker just 2 or 3 yards away? Bonkers stuff.

The only players I would score more than 5 out of 10 were Holmes and Whyte, the rest were just not up to standard. We know most of these players are capable of much more, and that they are not producing, has to come down to coaching.
This - all of this. I took the same apathetic attitude to posting today as the players took to performing last night so thanks for coming to my rescue OY.

One thing to add - Obika is just awful, the fact that the stadium cheered when a target man won a header is incredible. Mackie (for his many faults) came on for 10 minutes, won two headers and bashed their centre backs about a bit. Of course I'm glossing over the fact that we should be making better use of Obika's pace according to Gobbo.......

I have now moved into the Robinson out camp even without knowing who the alternative is. I hate changing managers and so this shows how awful it has been and my lack of hope in any revival.

An AFC Wimbledon supporting work colleague is really enjoying this - he hates Robinson not because he was MK Dons Manager per se but apparently he constantly gobbed off about AFCW in a patronising tone when at Franchise - who'd have thought!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

YF Dan wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:51 pm The cynic in me thinks he's trying to get himself sacked now. After all, why wouldn't you take a nice pay-off from a club anyone can see is teetering on the brink of the abyss. You might as well get the cash while you can. Two years' pay for working (assuming we manage to stay alive that long), or two years' pay for getting the sack? Seems a no-brainer really. You'd take the money and run.

The traditional car crash interview was full of titbits last night, but the hanging to dry of Hanson followed by 'he wasn't my signing anyway' spoke volumes. You could argue he's a) trying to hint there are dark arts going on behind the scenes so any future employer might think actually this isn't all his fault b) trying to rile his employers so they sack him c) trying to lose the dressing room to hasten his departure and d) trying to turn the fans further against him to make sure the board have to act and sack him.

I think that's kind and giving him too much credit - perhaps he just doesn't engage brain before speaking?

So then let's think about what he's cost us. How much paid to Charlton in compo? 2 years' salary? I have no idea what he earns but I'd assume it's over £100k. Then 3 1/2 years of salary. Then Shaun Derry and his salary. And upcoming pay-off. Shudder.

That's the worst case scenario - they would undoubtedly get another job due to the merry-go-round nature of the football manager world and so we'd only pay compensation until they were re-employed (and perhaps the delta of the difference if Tiger's paying them too much)

Hey ho. Modern football, eh? Remember when we just used to win all the time and whinge about being given free hotdogs?

Anyone got any bright ideas how we realistically get out of this mess?

Sack them and appoint someone decent - I'm not holding my breath though.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I’m not going to claim Obika is a good striker BUT his limitations are exposed by the lack of any other half-decent options.

In a normal squad at Div 3 level for a reasonable side, I’d expect to see four strikers. You’d have two good ones who start most games (or rotate if you’re playing a lone striker) who are experienced, proven goalscorers. You then have one who can “do a job” by holding the ball up when you’re defending a lead, and one who is untested but can provide a bit of spark when you’re chasing the game and need fresh impetus. Obika and Smith fit the roles described for the back up two.

The problem is - and I know I’m sounding like a broken record - that buggerlugs didn’t sign anyone who fitted the bill of being an experienced, proven goalscorer (let alone two of them). Obika is therefore being expected to do more than he is naturally capable of, as is Smith.

They shouldn’t be immune from criticism, but they are symptomatic of a much bigger problem. Obika in particular is getting dogs’ abuse at the moment, much of which would be better directed elsewhere.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Not sure that Obika fully deserves the abuse he's getting. He's not much cop, I definitely admit, but he's scored more league goals this season than our other two strikers combined.

I'd suggest it's more the system at fault, ie one striker playing on his own isolated up front, than Obika per se. Oxblogger nailed it this week.

The fact that we spent money on Carruthers and Holmes, both number 10s, when our best player last season (and maybe this) is a classic number 10 already suggests a failure of recruitment more than anything else.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Since Robinson started, one striker has scored one goal (Obika vs Coventry) - I don't think any strikers scored under him last season. Which points to the issue being at least in part the system.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

It’s a failure of recruitment and a failure of the system with the available players, and a failure of coaching.

Line 10 We’ve not resolved the full backs for a couple of seasons, ergo our defence is weakened and extra pressure is on the centre backs, which will inevitably cause errors.

Line 20 We’ve not resolved the strikers for several seasons, ergo we don’t score enough goals even if we create enough chances, which inevitably means we have to chase games more often, which exposes the defences

Line 30 go to line 10

Before the season, you build a squad, a balanced squad where there is sufficient talent across the team with no major weaknesses and adequate cover in all positions.
After a pre-season regaining lost fitness from the summer and allowing the new squad to begin learning about each other, you put your best line up together. After a few games, any slight weaknesses begin to show, so they are addressed through training, treatment or fitness. Any persistent weakness or injury is resolved by use of other squad players.
When the squad usage doesn’t correct the problems, then you adjust the system so that you can strengthen areas of weakness. So if one up top doesn’t work, maybe try two up top. If the defence is shipping goals, add defensive strength in midfield.
It isn’t a complicated process. The most difficult part is identifying the players with the best technique, best football brains, best stamina, speed and fitness. I.e. the bit done pre-season. If you haven’t done that bit right, it will be a difficult season.
I heard Gobbo on RadOx yesterday, with his latest excuses, that he was told he had to build with youth, and develop them into decent players, and because they are young, they will make mistakes, and he wasn’t allowed to buy experienced players. Well remind me, how old are McMahon, Mackie, Holmes, Garbutt, Henry, Mousinho, Obika, Eastwood, Nelson, Carruthers, Shearer, Raglan? All 25 and over, all experienced pros in their prime, or older. It doesn’t wash Gobbo. You’ve just chosen players who are not good enough, and you don’t have the skills to coach them to be good enough.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Sadly, Robinson won't get the sack.

Why?

Simply because of how silly it would make Tiger look. Can you imagine?! I mean, here we have a Chairman who told us what an amazing signing we were going to get for a manager. And how daft he'd look now if he sacked KR.

The Chairman is as guilty as anyone here of over promising and under delivering. He's hung himself by his own bowtie.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Recordmeister - yes, but surely the chairman can also see that not sacking KR will make him look worse. We all make mistakes, there's no shame there - doubling down on those mistakes in the face of all available evidence is what makes people lose faith in you.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

A lot does seem to be the lack of recruitment in the Summer. How much was this down to perhaps Tiger not providing the cash for signings? Robinson hinted as much by playing Shaun Derry in one of the Ireland games, he might as well have put a banner up saying "our recruitment is so slow that I am having to play a 40 year old coach to make up the numbers", when we had I think talked of getting transfer business done early in the close season.

Also as the loan system has changed, we are stuck with our squad (or free agents) until January, and there is no real clue as to whether Tiger will be funding recruitment then.

Also the whole "player trading" and "young EPL loans" model that worked impressively well under Appleton/Ashton has pretty much been abandoned, and this is perhaps the only way to run the club profitably given the ground constraints. Although Gavin Whyte / Baptiste may generate a transfer fee one day.