Accy thump

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Accy thump

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

WIWTTJ*

But you don’t have to be a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows.

To go from 2-1 up at home to a side amongst the favourites for relegation, to losing 3-2 when you’ve yet to get any points in the board, is Not A Good Result. Looking at the Twitter analysis afterwards, it sounds as though good individual performances by Browne and Whyte were not enough to counter-balance a side bereft of confidence and a tactical game plan. The formation, the substitutions... it all sounds like a horror show.

I’m still of my view that any manager deserves ten league games of the season to prove his or her worth. But in the modern era, that’s probably a minority view. Can KR hold on? Should he? For how long?

* = Well I Wasn’t There Tonight, Jermone
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Accy thump

Post by recordmeister »

10 games is a fair number, if that’s a mix of wins, lossss and draws. However, I’d look at it less about a number of games and more about points won.

10 games is 30 points. If a manager ends up with, say 16/17 points from a possible 30, we’d likely be on course for the play offs which is what a realistic aim should be for our club.

Now, KR has zero points from four games. So to meet a target of ‘17 from 10’ he needs 17 points from the next six games. That’s an average of 2.8 points per game, and an average points per game that would put us 3rd in today’s league table.

Is that doable? Is that possible? After 10 games will we have 17 points and be pushing for a play-off space

I’ll let you decide that...
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Some really promising attacking stuff last night. They'll be fine when they've had pre-season and some of them come up to full fitness. Oh wait, you say the season has started?! It was striking how many of that team had hardly played a league game before: Mitchell, Norman, Browne, Whyte, has Smith played many? Norman did some great things but his naivety was painfully clear. So, how long does Robinson have to sort it out?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Well it was better but then it couldn't have been much worse could it.

As seems to be the consensus, Whyte, Norman and in particular Browne all played very well and should keep their places. Hanson was also quite effective but Brannigan worries me as he often leaves a hole in the centre of midfield and is close to getting sent off in most games.

Some seem to think that Obika had a good game, not me - he didn't win a single header and I don't recall any purposeful shot from him in the 90 minutes. He looks lazy and ineffective. All he can do is receive the ball with his back to goal and then pass it to someone behind him - I could do that! Compare him to Accy's front man in Billy Kee, for their second goal he picked up the ball that Mousinho missed, took one touch to control it and smashed it into the back of the net - can anyone honestly see Obika ever doing that??

Mousinho was poor. After 30 minutes I remarked that he was playing well but he then d*cked about with the ball leading to an Accy throw-in which led to their first goal, was completely at fault for the second and fell over when chasing back for the third. I'd play Raglan on Saturday but based on our manager's ridiculous reaction to his name in his interview I suspect that won't be occurring.

As for that interview - what a car crash - all the ref's fault but hold on the buck stops with Robinson in the same sentence?????? The ref wasn't great but how many are at this level and he certainly didn't contribute to a lack of defensive cohesion and individual mistakes.

I don't see any point in sacking Robinson but am struggling to see what he is bringing to our club apart from a victim culture and a poor example of how to approach officials - I really don't like the constant barracking of the fourth official - what is it going to achieve, he isn't going to suddenly tell the ref to change his mind.

Had my Sunderland tickets delivered yesterday - yay.

Grrrrrr - roll on Saturday.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I’m still of my view that any manager deserves ten league games of the season to prove his or her worth. But in the modern era, that’s probably a minority view. Can KR hold on? Should he? For how long?
I'm definitely generally of that view too. And this is a similar start to the first season under Appleton. But then again, when I thought of that, I thought : maybe we can get Appleton back. And all thoughts of giving Robbo time go out of the window if we could manage that...!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Why is everyone so obsessed with Michael Appleton? Yes he got us a promotion but he then jumped ship when a Prem club came calling to be an Assistant Manager - let's all move on shall we.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

I thought the fans were excellent yesterday, low numbers, hardly any away fans to create an atmosphere but the home fans backed the team for the whole game.

Some boos at the end but that’s hardly surprising.

Well done everyone!
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Radley Rambler wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:53 pm Why is everyone so obsessed with Michael Appleton? Yes he got us a promotion but he then jumped ship when a Prem club came calling to be an Assistant Manager - let's all move on shall we.
Fully agree, the fawning over Appleton on twitter and facebook is getting ridiculous. He is not coming back folks!! Get over him please....
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Radley Rambler wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:53 pm Why is everyone so obsessed with Michael Appleton?
Probably because, for anyone under 30, he’s the most successful manager we’ve had in their lifetime. Those of us under 40 could make a case for Denis “Next England Manager” Smith (Out), but even to us Appleton probably tops the list given the quality of football we played under him.

Yes, Appleton left to take a bigger job at a bigger club with a bigger pay packet. I’ve no problem with that. But if the circumstances ever allowed him to come back, I’d welcome him with open arms. And hopefully he’d welcome us back with equally open but much bigger and heavily-tattooed arms.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:25 am
Radley Rambler wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:53 pm Why is everyone so obsessed with Michael Appleton?
Probably because, for anyone under 30, he’s the most successful manager we’ve had in their lifetime. Those of us under 40 could make a case for Denis “Next England Manager” Smith (Out), but even to us Appleton probably tops the list given the quality of football we played under him.

Yes, Appleton left to take a bigger job at a bigger club with a bigger pay packet. I’ve no problem with that. But if the circumstances ever allowed him to come back, I’d welcome him with open arms. And hopefully he’d welcome us back with equally open but much bigger and heavily-tattooed arms.
Exactly this.

And I'm actually finding Robinson fairly embarrassing on the touchline, barracking the officials for all sorts of minor stuff. Really suffers in comparison to Appleton's calm persona.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Ditto. But for me, with MApp it was ALSO a lot of the generally unspoken things that so impressed me and made things work as they did. It was about the character of the players he brought in, his ability to create a cohesive dressing room, how he got the players to work together through the way in which he got them to take collective responsibility with him not involved. It was, in short, a number of the issues he identified about his management style in that online interview linked to recently on another thread. I also doubt, for example, that he would have picked out the defence for criticism after the first match (the first, for gods' sake) and then the midfield after the second match.

BUT

KR is who we currently have - and at least judging by the short 'highlights' I have seen online (still on holiday spending each day on the beach) - Accy saw us score two great goals and, it would appear, see goals conceded more by individual error than collective ineptitude. Maybe by the time I get to see us play (Cov at home) things will be starting to gel. That said, if we do not win against Burton, I dread to think what might happen at the Stadium of Light. Might 7-1 even be surpassed?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Dr Bob wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:31 pm

Ditto. But for me, with MApp it was ALSO a lot of the generally unspoken things that so impressed me and made things work as they did. It was about the character of the players he brought in, his ability to create a cohesive dressing room, how he got the players to work together through the way in which he got them to take collective responsibility with him not involved. It was, in short, a number of the issues he identified about his management style in that online interview linked to recently on another thread. I also doubt, for example, that he would have picked out the defence for criticism after the first match (the first, for gods' sake) and then the midfield after the second match.

BUT

KR is who we currently have - and at least judging by the short 'highlights' I have seen online (still on holiday spending each day on the beach) - Accy saw us score two great goals and, it would appear, see goals conceded more by individual error than collective ineptitude. Maybe by the time I get to see us play (Cov at home) things will be starting to gel. That said, if we do not win against Burton, I dread to think what might happen at the Stadium of Light. Might 7-1 even be surpassed?
It was 7-0, you’re giving us too much credit - decent team that day too
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Jimski wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Ok - perhaps I've had the privilege of seeing other decent managers e.g. Smiths x 2 BUT the chances of Mapp being asked to return let alone actually returning are imho practically nil so it's all an unrealistic distraction isn't it?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

It’s fair to ask how likely a scenario it actually is.

I’ve already said elsewhere that I don’t think we should be reaching for the trapdoor beneath KR yet. Give him ten league games, then reflect. He deserves that long to be able to demonstrate progress and be judged on results once we’ve played a decent range of opposition.

But, just for argument’s sake, let’s say he leaves at that point. Appleton is approached. Fine, we’d be a retrograde step - but he’d be coming to a club he knows and understands, some of the same players with whom he succeeded before, most of the same coaching staff, improved training facilities, allegedly (very allegedly) more money to spend... He could do worse.

Is it likely to happen? No. Is it possible? Abso-bloody-lutely. But where I do agree with you is that it shouldn’t be allowed to distract from where we are right now and what KR is doing. Park the Appleton bandwagon until October and then see what’s what.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Talk of Appleton is a stark reminder that new managers need time, and you shouldn't judge them by the first few games of a season - we didn't get a league win under Appleton until the eighth time of asking.

Although the Barnsley and Fleetwood performances were truly appalling, it sounds like we're slowly improving. A couple of months of mixed results isn't the end of the world, as long as we don't stay rooted to the foot of the table.

Given that we're clearly not going to threaten the promotion places this season, I'd like to see a return to some cup runs. Tomorrow gives us a chance to progress to a potentially juicy League Cup tie for a start...