Portsmouth Plenary

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Portsmouth Plenary

Post by Radley Rambler »

Well that was poor, very very poor.

We could easily have been 3-0 down at halftime if it wasn't for profilgate finishing from Pompey and a saved penalty. From the off, they were quicker, more skilful, more cohesive, more threatening and dare I say it more committed. After half-time, they finally found their shooting boots and put us to the sword with little resistance. What was most worrying wasn't the result but the manner of the defeat - we were poor at the back, lacked creativity in midfield and toothless up front.......

Yes we had a reasonable spell from 70-85 minutes but that was due to Pompey sitting back with the game won and should not be seen as an improvement that can be built on. Lest we forget, the away fans (who were excellent given the team's performance) started the gallows humour with 'we've had a shot' in the 72nd minute of the match. When we (well their defender) did score, they then stepped up a gear again and scored a sublime fourth.

Robinson's interview on RadOx sounded increasingly desperate - we were 'unlucky' - b*llshit, we were outplayed and outmuscled. We've been unlucky with injuries - ok, I've got a small amount of sympathy with that but Eastwood wouldn't have made a difference yesterday and we're meant to have a squad that can deal with some absences as there will always be some players out over a season.

The only players that can take any credit from yesterday are Nelson, Baptiste, McMahon (although I wish he wouldn't engage in banter with the home fans as there will only be one winner despite the morality of whether fans should barrack players from two feet away), Browne and Henry. Obika actually looked effective when he came on BUT see my point above about when he was on the pitch (i.e. Pompey were just sitting back) and again he missed a 1 on 1 chance when their defender screwed up to give him the chance.

In terms of players who were awful, I'll only pick upon the main offenders as otherwise the list would be too long. Mackie - wtf - I've yet to see anything from him, is he being played out of position? Dickie - looks a shadow of the player that I had so much hope for based on performances last season. Garbutt aka Garbage - apparently he could have gone to higher clubs and chose us - shame - totally outclassed yesterday and all the trouble came from his side.

Our stats so far this season:

Points - zero, nowt, f*ck all
Shots - 29 vs 48 for the opposition
Shots on target - 7 vs 23 for the opposition
Shots on target % - 24% vs 48% for the opposition
Goals - 1 vs 10 for the opposition

We've got a very important week ahead in which we play relegation favourites and a Burton team who I would hope we could beat if we put in a performance. If we lose these two, then there will be some serious questions posed.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Re: Portsmouth Plenary

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Anyone would think you've seen the same game as me. Oh wait....
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: Portsmouth Plenary

Post by Hog »

But at 0-3 we could have got it back to 3-3 in about eight minutes with the two that hit the post and the one that went just over and the one that went just wide ... but we'd still have lost 3-4 in added time! No, I know I'm being daft!

Utter garbage.

You cut him a bit of slack but McMahon is not the sort of character I want to see playing for Oxford. He showed it in meaningless friendlies against local fat lads in Ireland and he was at it again yesterday. If he could back his unpleasantness up with a bit of skill and guile like Maguire then I might be a little more accepting but no, I don't like him and it was quite satisfying when he got splattered in his own blood towards the end!

Mackie is a disgrace to the shirt. I was told by Reading and QPR fans I know that he always gives 110% and will be great at 'your' level. Liars, all of them! If he's not had a pre-season and isn't fit then don't bloody use him until he is, we can't afford any passengers.

And people say Robinson talks a good game? No he doesn't and he doesn't set any kind of good example either. He's all bluster and hot air. I really hope he can turn it around but have no evidence to suggest he might. We MUST win BOTH home games next week to get any kind of heart back into the side. Nothing less will do.

And breath.