Predictions

Anything yellow and blue
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Predictions

Post by OtmoorYellow »

I had a bad feeling ahead of last season that we wouldn't do too well. Uncertainties over Eales, Appleton leaving, several big name players departed.

Despite my earlier reservations about Tiger, I'm beginning to warm to him. I suspect he is a much more careful owner than we've had for a while, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, provided he knows when to invest for progress.

I have a good feeling about the season ahead, even though signings have been thin on the ground so far. I'm a big fan of Robinson's style and he speaks and seems to understand the game and supporters very well.

For reasons I cannot substantiate or explain (and when I say that I mean it is just a feeling, I don't have any hard evidence), I think this coming season we will be promoted, and I think the stadium will be bought from Kassam as well, whether that be under Tiger's separate control, or within the assets of the football club.

125th anniversary season 2018/19 will be a very big and important one for Oxford United.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Predictions

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Making predictions is a mug's game... so here goes. :lol:

I don't share OY's optimism. Not one bit. Karl Robinson talks a good game, and is clearly competent, but I don't think he's as good as many fans think. He's also not (so far, at least) signed players who immediately make me think he can improve significantly on last season's bottom-third finish. Indeed, on current showing we have a net loss of talent. Obviously we'll see some faces come in eventually, but it strikes me as a massive leap of faith to believe we can throw together a team in a very competitive league that will compete at the top end without much more investment than the current evidence is showing.

Likewise, Sunrith Thanakarnjanasuth has improved his PR in recent months - but having a nice new shirt and a decent sponsor does not, by itself, convince me that we're any less constrained off the pitch than last year. We still don't own our ground, we still have crowds at the 7,000-mark compared to some teams at our level who can comfortably draw double that, and I don't see either of those things changing any time soon.

Ka$$am isn't going to sell; that's become abundantly clear in the last few years. He knows his best bet is to sit tight, wait for us to move voluntarily or the lease to expire, and then cash in on the land by developing it for housing. Does our chairman have pockets deep enough to spend £10-£15m on a new stadium and keep us competitive in Div 3? Maybe, maybe not - but I don't see any evidence of it yet.

So, sorry to depress you - but I'm saying we'll be 14th.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm I had a bad feeling ahead of last season that we wouldn't do too well. Uncertainties over Eales, Appleton leaving, several big name players departed.

Despite my earlier reservations about Tiger, I'm beginning to warm to him. I suspect he is a much more careful owner than we've had for a while, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, provided he knows when to invest for progress.

I have a good feeling about the season ahead, even though signings have been thin on the ground so far. I'm a big fan of Robinson's style and he speaks and seems to understand the game and supporters very well.

For reasons I cannot substantiate or explain (and when I say that I mean it is just a feeling, I don't have any hard evidence), I think this coming season we will be promoted, and I think the stadium will be bought from Kassam as well, whether that be under Tiger's separate control, or within the assets of the football club.

125th anniversary season 2018/19 will be a very big and important one for Oxford United.
Best get your money on at 8/1 then.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/june/league-betting/
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

9th
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

8th, just missing out on the play-offs, finishing off a season of consolidation after last year's roller-coaster.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 pm Making predictions is a mug's game... so here goes. :lol:

I don't share OY's optimism. Not one bit. Karl Robinson talks a good game, and is clearly competent, but I don't think he's as good as many fans think. He's also not (so far, at least) signed players who immediately make me think he can improve significantly on last season's bottom-third finish. Indeed, on current showing we have a net loss of talent. Obviously we'll see some faces come in eventually, but it strikes me as a massive leap of faith to believe we can throw together a team in a very competitive league that will compete at the top end without much more investment than the current evidence is showing.

Likewise, Sunrith Thanakarnjanasuth has improved his PR in recent months - but having a nice new shirt and a decent sponsor does not, by itself, convince me that we're any less constrained off the pitch than last year. We still don't own our ground, we still have crowds at the 7,000-mark compared to some teams at our level who can comfortably draw double that, and I don't see either of those things changing any time soon.

Ka$$am isn't going to sell; that's become abundantly clear in the last few years. He knows his best bet is to sit tight, wait for us to move voluntarily or the lease to expire, and then cash in on the land by developing it for housing. Does our chairman have pockets deep enough to spend £10-£15m on a new stadium and keep us competitive in Div 3? Maybe, maybe not - but I don't see any evidence of it yet.

Miserable git! :lol:
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Radley Rambler wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:28 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm I had a bad feeling ahead of last season that we wouldn't do too well. Uncertainties over Eales, Appleton leaving, several big name players departed.

Best get your money on at 8/1 then.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/june/league-betting/
I must say that is tempting and I'm not really a betting man. 8/1 just for any sort of promotion has to be decent odds, and 28/1 to win the league, in a division of 24 teams, has to be worth a tenner of your English Pounds.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Bottom half, I reckon. Hopefully in the upper half of that half, but I'm not feeling too confident.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Probably 10th or 11th - but convincing and positive, rather than the pathetic outfit we were for half of last season.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Not sure how anyone can make any predictions until the Friday night before kick off when we have an idea of the merits of each squad in the League? Oh alright ... top 15!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 pm Making predictions is a mug's game... so here goes. :lol:

Agree with much of this. Another mid-table finish I reckon, which wouldn't really depress me given what a car crash it looked like we were heading for when Tiger arrived. It's not as if mid-table in L1 can be sniffed at after our last 20 years, and I'm not sure what we've got in place to suggest we should do much better than that.

But as Hog says, it's very hard to know what we'll do on the pitch until we've bought (and probably sold) some more players.