Summer news

Anything yellow and blue
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Re: Summer news

Post by OtmoorYellow »

I'm not convinced the club's arguments stand up to much scrutiny.

They could easily have bought the off the shelf shirts and applied the badges and embroidery themselves. Its not as if we don't have an owner with a major international clothing business, and so costs would have been tiny and sales prices could certainly comparable to normal first team shirts.

The shirts actually produced, will no doubt only be available in a very limited size range given the number and thus excluding many fans anyway. The 125 anniversary is a one off opportunity and should be seen as being an inclusive event, not an exclusive one.

There is more than one manufacturer of historical shirts in the UK and Tiger's own business could no doubt produce them too. So if they have been let down by TOFFS (who I note do not offer any Oxford shirts anymore, including the Big Ron ones) or another manufacturer, shirts could still be produced this season, even if not for the 125 match tomorrow. I know I would like a decent Headington replica shirt and also a decent Milk Cup replica shirt, which the club has never managed to replicate properly previously.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

We must be due for the backlash of the backlash by now, so here goes....I never really saw what the fuss about this was. If you don't want to buy a £75 commemorative shirt, don't buy one. The justification for the decision from Matt Everett seems entirely reasonable to me.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:43 pm I'm not convinced the club's arguments stand up to much scrutiny.

They could easily have bought the off the shelf shirts and applied the badges and embroidery themselves. Its not as if we don't have an owner with a major international clothing business, and so costs would have been tiny and sales prices could certainly comparable to normal first team shirts.

The shirts actually produced, will no doubt only be available in a very limited size range given the number and thus excluding many fans anyway. The 125 anniversary is a one off opportunity and should be seen as being an inclusive event, not an exclusive one.

There is more than one manufacturer of historical shirts in the UK and Tiger's own business could no doubt produce them too. So if they have been let down by TOFFS (who I note do not offer any Oxford shirts anymore, including the Big Ron ones) or another manufacturer, shirts could still be produced this season, even if not for the 125 match tomorrow. I know I would like a decent Headington replica shirt and also a decent Milk Cup replica shirt, which the club has never managed to replicate properly previously.
Did you read the whole article? Off the shelf shirts and embroidered badges not an option, I would venture. As per...

"In this case for the anniversary kit, and with Puma as our kit manufacturer, we had absolutely no option other than to pick the most appropriate Puma kit that we could. The commemorative shirt we felt HAD to be the same as the team would play in, and the first team kit has to be appropriate material and provided by Puma. I know that we have had bespoke kits in the past, however with a leading global manufacturer there will never be this option when ordering a limited number of shirts."
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Good update from Matt Everett there. If only others at the club were so clear in the way they communicated with supporters!
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Radley Rambler wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:56 am Matt Everett responded to me yesterday with the majority of what is now on the OWS so fair play to him in terms of communication and good to see that there will be other retro products for sale at a more palatable price point.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/octobe ... al-update/
He replied to me too, pretty much word for word what the statement says, so yes, fair play for the comms.

I'm not sure there will be two other shirts the way I read the email. I thought the club had been let down and we weren't getting them. But I've only skim-read.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Isaac wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:48 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:43 pm I'm not convinced the club's arguments stand up to much scrutiny.

Did you read the whole article? Off the shelf shirts and embroidered badges not an option, I would venture. As per...

"In this case for the anniversary kit, and with Puma as our kit manufacturer, we had absolutely no option other than to pick the most appropriate Puma kit that we could. The commemorative shirt we felt HAD to be the same as the team would play in, and the first team kit has to be appropriate material and provided by Puma. I know that we have had bespoke kits in the past, however with a leading global manufacturer there will never be this option when ordering a limited number of shirts."
Yes I did read the whole lot, and when I saw the shirts in the club shop, they looked really good. So being a fickle, hypocritical, but committed collector of OUFC/HUFC programmes and memorabilia, and seeing as the 1949 shirt was still available (the 1893 and 1966 year of my birth one's had gone), I gave myself a hard time and realised how foolish I was to write something on here that I would inevitably later have to retract, and I stumped up the £75.

And I'm glad I did, knowing in 2 weeks I would have regretted not doing so. So there! [Pokes tongue out and runs for the hills]
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Sounds like you will get your money’s worth in enjoyment. And in a year you’ll have forgotten what it cost