New signings

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: New signings

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Michael Doughty (ex QPR and Peterborough) played in a friendly at Hampton and Richmond on Saturday and stays on trial for the week. Robinson said of him:

“This was the first game he’s played and he’s not trained. He did OK, didn’t he?

“He did better than anyone else in midfield, which says it all for the rest of them.”

Doesn't sound like KR was too happy with the overall performance! The rest of the midfield was Samir Carruthers, Canice Carroll and James Henry (assuming Napa was up front)
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

The performance at Court Place Farm was pretty good.

Despite scoring a couple, Obika did miss some gilt edged chances. In particular he had 2 or 3 one on ones with the keeper and failed miserably with each one.

Most players did well and we drove the game forwards in a manner that was pleasing on the eye with quality quick passing. Nelson looked very good at the back.

Hampton & Richmond was a very different story. In fairness H&R were considerably stronger opposition than City. It was a disjointed performance. A typical early pre-season game where players aren't really reading each other. Up front, Dejon Noel Williams looked quick and strong. Give him a couple of years more development and he will be a real handful. Canice looked overweight and slow. The new left back was half decent. The new right back looked strong but slow.

The midfield wasn't great. We held onto the ball only for short periods and we were quickly closed down by the rather more industrious non-league side.

Scott Shearer looked somewhat dodgy between the sticks. He should have done better for both goals, and their first was a goalkeepers dreaded near post failure to save.

These are only pre-season games so no real concerns, but we need strikers sooner rather than later to give them time to gel before the season proper kicks off in a few short weeks.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Cheers OY. I see that a player called Armani Little played (and scored a brace) against City. What is the world coming to?

I also see that two attacking players did not join OUFC within 24 hours of KR saying this:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/16355 ... -24-hours/

Let's hope something is still on the cards regarding some strikers.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:16 am I also see that two attacking players did not join OUFC within 24 hours of KR saying this:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/16355 ... -24-hours/
Indeed. I don't know what's worse - the Oxford Fail's desperation for content that leads to them publishing this sort of non-story, or KR's naivety in writing cheques he can't cash by making these sorts of silly promises. Actually, I do know - it's the latter; KR should know better. Under-promise and over-deliver, not the other way around - and for god's sake don't say stuff to journalists that will make you look stupid if it doesn't come off!
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

The Fail seems to be dating that story 16 July. Today is 17 July. Give KR a chance!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 pm The Fail seems to be dating that story 16 July. Today is 17 July. Give KR a chance!
It was online at 7am yesterday. I'm sure there was a similar story a couple of days before the squad flew to Ireland too.

As KE says, we all understand that transfers take time these days (especially loans from PL/Champ clubs), but what's the point promising things that you can't control? Unless of course he says them to put pressure on Tiger to come up with a bit more cash to get the deals finalised.

It's not a new thing - Appleton used to spend summers saying "we're still short in one or two areas and I'm sure we'll have two or three more bodies in the building by the end of the week" and it never happened.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

I take the point about over-promising, but there has to be a little leeway here and there.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) I think we may see up to 3 new names at the club.

Sam Smith (from Reading)
Jamie Mackie (from QPR)
Marcus Brown (from West Ham)
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

I went to the Aldershot friendly last night and briefly my first impressions of new signings on view were:-

McMahon - steady, good dead ball player, not afraid to get stuck in even in a friendly which got the home support a bit agitated.

Garbutt - quick, reads the game well, took corners with mixed success.

Carruthers - worked well with Brannagan and Ruffels in midfield, good engine but probably not yet in top gear so can expect him to be a lynchpin.

What stood out from the rest was Obika getting lots of chances (better positioning and service albeit poor opposition), Napa looking stronger, Nelson being Nelson. Finally, glad to see Hall on for last 10 minutes and looking sharp and skilful.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Whilst we are waiting for International Clearance for Gavin Whyte, you may wish to watch this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0smQvbx3-I
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

We look to be developing a decent and purposeful squad and today we are being linked with Ricky Holmes and
Jem Karacan (yes please). Two quality players. West Ham youngster Marcus Browne also linked.

Robinson also wants a big, box to box central midfielder too!

Reading FC’s highly rated striker Sam Smith is set to join once the Royals return from Austria.

If we get these in we could have a terrific season.

Talking of Aldershot I heard on Radio Oxford that Pompey boss Kenny Jackett was there watching the game.
I wonder who he was looking at? James Henry? He was interested in Henry last summer and worked with him at
Millwall and Wolves. With Whyte, Mackie,Henry, Napa, Hall and Holmes (possibly) somebody will be surplus to requirements.

Let’s see what happens.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... m-baldock/
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Jamie Mackie will be an experienced head to link up play in the final third.

Hope you are wrong about Kenny Jacket and that he was there to watch some of the Aldershot trialists!
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Of those we've brought in or been linked to, my brief thoughts are:

Ricky Holmes - Could be a very good addition. Hard-working winger who usually looked good when playing against us. I'd question why Sheff U are willing to let him go so soon after joining though.

Jem Karacan - No thanks. Yes, played at a high level with Reading 5/6 years ago, but has done nothing since.

Jamie Mackie - Could be a wise old head to help develop some of the younger players around him, and he definitely "puts in a shift". I just don't think he's any good., at least not now. Fits very much into the "old" model of a player on his way down. 54 league appearances in 3 season, largely owing to injuries should ring alarm bells.

Samir Carruthers - Probably the best addition to date, imho. Quality player at this level and still fairly young.

Sam Smith - Could be very good. Scored 9 in 16 games for Reading U23s and, in terms of minutes on the pitch, netted every 123 minutes! Question is whether he can make the step up to proper League football.

Regarding Kenny Jackett being at Aldershot, we play Pompey 3rd game of the season so I imagine he was simply taking the opportunity to have a look at us.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:16 am I take the point about over-promising, but there has to be a little leeway here and there.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) I think we may see up to 3 new names at the club.

Sam Smith (from Reading)
Jamie Mackie (from QPR)
Marcus Brown (from West Ham)
Well the timescale was a bit out, but we have now seen two of these players arrive at the club. I see most West Ham sources are describing Marcus Browne as an attacking midfielder, which still leaves us light on strikers. This Sam Smith deal seems to be dragging on and on.

Though I guess with his pre-season record Jon Obika should be given a decent run in the team at the start of the campaign to see if he really has turned it around.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:54 pm This Sam Smith deal seems to be dragging on and on.
As I understand it, Reading are (quite sensibly) waiting to confirm the signing of Sam Baldock before letting Sam Smith come to us.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:54 pm This Sam Smith deal seems to be dragging on and on.
It sounds from the rumour mill that the deal is done, but won't be confirmed until Reading have done the paperwork on some signings of their own. Meanwhile, it is thought that the deal for Jem Karacan has collapsed. All rumour though, so treat with caution.

I'm still of the view that we look light up front. I know Big Jon Obika's has transformed from Steve Anthrobus to Moahmmed Salah, but last season was a lesson in the fact that injuries, suspensions and form (and poor transfer decisions in the case of Hemmings) can decimate a team's ability to get goals. I'd want a minimum of three proven strikers, plus a kid who can get a chance if/when goals dry up from elsewhere.

That aside, it's not been a bad pre-season so far. I certainly don't think a side with Eastwood in goal and Nelson & Dickie in front of him will ship many goals, and we've also clearly upgraded on last season's fullbacks.