New signings

Anything yellow and blue
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

New signings

Post by Boogie »

Well someone had to start this thread...

I have read elsewhere that we have "taken on" three young trialists but I am not sure what that means yet - anyone know?

Sam Ford (striker ex Ipswich and West Ham)
Charlie Ten-Grotenhuis (midfielder who appears to be at the Gas?)
Micah Edwards (midfielder but no club?).

No spurious rumours on this thread please, even though the above might turn out to be just that!
SWA
Puberty

Re: New signings

Post by SWA »

Cameron Norman, a right back, signed from Kings Lynn.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

But Lego gone.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

KR wants to sign Samir Carruthers

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/footb ... er_target/

Quite an unusual way to do transfer business, but I think the penultimate paragraph is the most telling:

“I think players who may want to leave might look at this and go ‘hang on’ because we’re trying to bring in a quality of player who will compete with the top end of our squad, they’re not just making the numbers up."

This says to me a) we have players that want to leave and b) Robinson has had to resort to making public statements like this in an effort to persuade them to stay.

Let's hope it works!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:39 am KR wants to sign Samir Carruthers

Quite an unusual way to do transfer business, but I think the penultimate paragraph is the most telling:

“I think players who may want to leave might look at this and go ‘hang on’ because we’re trying to bring in a quality of player who will compete with the top end of our squad, they’re not just making the numbers up."

This says to me a) we have players that want to leave and b) Robinson has had to resort to making public statements like this in an effort to persuade them to stay.

Let's hope it works!
My reading is different. KR can tell the players who he wants to bring in (as apparently happen with Eastwood) without telling the whole world. I wonder if he is simply laying down a marker with Sheffield United, whilst hoping that going public about his previous working relationship will deter other clubs from coming in (not sure myself about this last point, but never been involved in football transfers/loans...)
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Dr Bob wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:32 pm
Kernow Yellow wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:39 am KR wants to sign Samir Carruthers

Let's hope it works!
My reading is different. KR can tell the players who he wants to bring in (as apparently happen with Eastwood) without telling the whole world. I wonder if he is simply laying down a marker with Sheffield United, whilst hoping that going public about his previous working relationship will deter other clubs from coming in (not sure myself about this last point, but never been involved in football transfers/loans...)
My reading is different still. The Commercial Department has asked him to hint now at a few big(ish) name signings so they can flog some more STs!

In reality, probably a mixture of all three.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Why mention 'players that may want to leave' then? It's an odd thing to talk about if the message isn't aimed at them, surely?

Unless it's aimed at Tiger of course - pay for Carruthers or there might be others wanting away...
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:38 pm Why mention 'players that may want to leave' then? It's an odd thing to talk about if the message isn't aimed at them, surely?

Unless it's aimed at Tiger of course - pay for Carruthers or there might be others wanting away...
That is odd, given that after signing his new contract recently, Eastwood said (or at least was reported as saying...) that he was impressed by KRs plans around signings.

Ah well, we need something to distract us during the close season (although Somerset's start to the season is an unexpectedly pleasant distraction).
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Good work getting Samir Caruthers in on a season long loan.

I think that KR can get the best out of him which will give us more energy in midfield. Probably more mobile than Lego.

He has won two promotions out of League 1 so a hattrick would be good for his CV!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

More good work.

United capture experienced right back Tony McMahon after he left Bradford City in May.
McMahon has penned a two year contract. He has previously played for Middlesbrough,
Blackpool, Sheff Utd and Bradford City.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

OUFC4eva wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:31 am More good work.

United capture experienced right back Tony McMahon after he left Bradford City in May.
McMahon has penned a two year contract. He has previously played for Middlesbrough,
Bit of a "meh" signing that, IMHO.

32yo right back, with a dubious disciplinary record and, according to a number of Bradford fans, whose legs have gone.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Myles Francis wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:44 am
OUFC4eva wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:31 am More good work.

Bit of a "meh" signing that, IMHO.

32yo right back, with a dubious disciplinary record and, according to a number of Bradford fans, whose legs have gone.
I'm more positive about him. Sounds like an experienced, vocal player who also has a bit of shithousery about him. Exactly the sort of player we really missed last season, in fact. I suspect him and Cameron Norman will share the right-back berth over the course of the season, and McMahon's primary role is to help provide some experience for our competent-but-a-bit-green back line and to help ready Norman to become first-choice.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Its quality strikers that we need, not ageing full backs with no pace.

Disappointing to lose both Ledson and Rothwell. Unsurprising but disappointing nonetheless.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Surprised no-one has posted this:

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/july/o ... e-garbutt/

Looks like a quality signing and with Josh R, the Kings lynn fella, Sam Long and even Canice as possible cover, that should be left back sorted.

We're building a good squad here but still imho need another couple of quality central midfielders, an out and out winger and most importantly a couple of strikers.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Radley Rambler wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:50 am Surprised no-one has posted this:

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/july/o ... e-garbutt/

Looks like a quality signing and with Josh R, the Kings lynn fella, Sam Long and even Canice as possible cover, that should be left back sorted.

We're building a good squad here but still imho need another couple of quality central midfielders, an out and out winger and most importantly a couple of strikers.
https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/july/g ... yte-signs/

Well that's the winger - hopefully not another Hoban.

Distinct lack of strikers so far and Obika is not the answer despite his recent ability to score against crap opposition.