New signings

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: New signings

Post by Radley Rambler »

From today's Mail re Maynard:

"Robinson, United's head coach, said: "He’s got other options at this moment and we already have three strikers so we are loaded in that area.

"I think there are more pressing issues in the team than that position. That’s where we sit right now.

"I think there are other areas where our money could be better spent.""

What! Who are these three strikers - we have three people who hang around near the goal without scoring many (or looking like they might). What other areas are more important? - as Tiger might say 'WOW'.

Not suggesting we should sign Maynard but we do need a striker - that is quite obvious.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

It’s a(nother) bizarre interview. Quite apart from the bit RR pulls out above, which suggests Robinson is unable / unwilling to accept that we look completely hopeless up front, the whole things reads like a none-too-subtle dig at the chairman. Take this bit:
I have my own views on this that I’ll keep internal, but I know he’d score goals.
Firstly, if you’re going to keep your views internal, do it - rather than giving interviews to the local rag where you make it pretty clear that you were over-ruled in your desire to sign the bloke. Secondly, you’ve had the backing and you spunked all the money on creative midfielders who don’t have any competent strikers to score the chances they create - see my posts passim. And thirdly, make your bloody mind up: is the player someone who’ll get goals who you’re convinced will address our current problems, or is he a luxury we can’t afford? Because he can’t be both.

KR is increasingly incapable of holding a train of thought long enough to get through an interview without contradicting himself, criticising others around him (either directly or more often by innuendo) or coming across like a bit of a berk. Sometimes, like here, he manages all three.

Thr honeymoon’s over, pal.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

He was good for Crewe Alexandra and Bristol City but that ended in 2012.

In the last 6 seasons, he has scored 16 goals in 137 appearances - that is not someone who is going to score lots of goals.

Jon Obika has scored 30 goals in his last 136 appearances - say no more.........
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Radley Rambler wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:16 pm He was good for Crewe Alexandra and Bristol City but that ended in 2012.

In the last 6 seasons, he has scored 16 goals in 137 appearances - that is not someone who is going to score lots of goals.

Jon Obika has scored 30 goals in his last 136 appearances - say no more.........
I'll say more! Irrelevant of Maynard, Obika's goals to games ratio is mediocre at best. Ergo we need a top quality striker.

If KR thinks our striking options are acceptable, he can think again.

He squeaked us out of relegation last season, albeit I'm not certain that he did any better than anyone else would have done. This season could barely have started worse.

As KE stated above, the honeymoon is done and dusted.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Thursday:

“He’s got other options at this moment and we already have three strikers so we are loaded in that area.

"I think there are more pressing issues in the team than that position. That’s where we sit right now.”

Saturday:

“We were by far the better team. We had 65 per cent possession, 22 chances created to their four, but we’ve not scored. There’s the problem.”

There’s the problem indeed, KR. But we have other ‘pressing issues’ don’t we? Like...?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

God, he doesn't learn does he?

KR contradicting his previous comments by saying in today's OM that "I know where the problems lie... We do need to find some firepower". Make your bloody mind up man! Also, he's sticking with his policy of talking openly about transfer targets to the local media, despite having come unstuck doing so several times already this season.

And I know it's off-topic for this thread, but he got another warning from the referee on Saturday for mouthing off at the fourth official. Is it really asking too much for our manager to carry himself with a little bit more professionalism?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

I'm sure Obika found KR's comments a real confidence-boost too.....
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

In better news - excellent tying one of our own up to a very long contract. With a very good striker I think we would have an excellent team.