New signings

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: New signings

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Dr Bob wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:09 pm
Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:54 pm This Sam Smith deal seems to be dragging on and on.
As I understand it, Reading are (quite sensibly) waiting to confirm the signing of Sam Baldock before letting Sam Smith come to us.
Yeah I get that, it's just a shame not to have players here for a bit of pre-season. Especially ones without much meaningful first-team experience.

At least Smith has been playing on Reading's tour of Austria. The quotes about Browne are a little more worrying:

“I’m just working on my fitness at the moment. Hopefully it shouldn’t take too long and I’ll be ready to go in the next few weeks." - Browne

“He can be as good as he wants to be. It’s down to him to support his talent. It’s stand up and be counted with him now in his career. We shouldn’t be getting him, but there’s a reason he’s come to this level. We just hope we can make sure we do the right things to support his development.” - Robinson.

Sounds like a bit of a gamble all round.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:54 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:16 am I take the point about over-promising, but there has to be a little leeway here and there.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) I think we may see up to 3 new names at the club.

Sam Smith (from Reading)
Jamie Mackie (from QPR)
Marcus Brown (from West Ham)
Well the timescale was a bit out, but we have now seen two of these players arrive at the club. I see most West Ham sources are describing Marcus Browne as an attacking midfielder, which still leaves us light on strikers. This Sam Smith deal seems to be dragging on and on.

Though I guess with his pre-season record Jon Obika should be given a decent run in the team at the start of the campaign to see if he really has turned it around.
Got there in the end!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:30 pm
Dr Bob wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:09 pm
Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:54 pm This Sam Smith deal seems to be dragging on and on.
As I understand it, Reading are (quite sensibly) waiting to confirm the signing of Sam Baldock before letting Sam Smith come to us.
Yeah I get that, it's just a shame not to have players here for a bit of pre-season. Especially ones without much meaningful first-team experience.

At least Smith has been playing on Reading's tour of Austria. The quotes about Browne are a little more worrying:

“I’m just working on my fitness at the moment. Hopefully it shouldn’t take too long and I’ll be ready to go in the next few weeks." - Browne

“He can be as good as he wants to be. It’s down to him to support his talent. It’s stand up and be counted with him now in his career. We shouldn’t be getting him, but there’s a reason he’s come to this level. We just hope we can make sure we do the right things to support his development.” - Robinson.

Sounds like a bit of a gamble all round.
A bit like the “ gamble “ with Kemar Roofe in some respects.

The lad (Browne) has got masses of ability apparently and a good manager
will get the best out of him. I think we all bear the scars of previous unsuccessful loan signings recently
i.e Buckley-Ricketts and Smith-Brown. They were really poor.

This Smith and Browne will be different in my view 8)

I am excited.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Harvey Bradbury, son of former striker Lee Bradbury, has signed a permanent deal (not sure for how long). He will rejoin Hungerford Town, where he'd previously been on loan, but will train with us during the week.

In his interview he talks of enjoying watching his father play at Oxford when he was just a small kid. That made me feel very old indeed!
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:53 pm Harvey Bradbury, son of former striker Lee Bradbury, has signed a permanent deal (not sure for how long). He will rejoin Hungerford Town, where he'd previously been on loan, but will train with us during the week.

In his interview he talks of enjoying watching his father play at Oxford when he was just a small kid. That made me feel very old indeed!
If Bradbury is the one I'm thinking of, he did indeed give our defensive line the run around at Hungerford. Full of energy and a harassing striker continually looking to close down from the front, aggressive in driving at the defence and not afraid to shoot. Quite tall as well. I doubt he is anywhere near a first team place, but worth a punt for future development.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

I shall allow myself a WOW for the strengthening of the midfield today.

Holmes and Hanson (the fee sounds significant) are excellent additions to the squad.

"T" TSun Dai looks good on the ball and able to beat defenders from what I have seen.

Obviously need Obika and Smith to come good upfront but feeling optimistic, despite the hammering at Barnsley.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

So, we now won't be signing Wes Hoolahan, who Karl Robinson had talked about openly after Saturday's game as being his next big target.

Simple question from me - why name a player and add pressure onto yourself as a manager by raising fans' expectations unless you're sure the deal is done? I cannot for the life of me understand why Robinson consistently does this. You can only lose by naming a player who may not ultimately sign.

I'm as happy as anyone with the recent uptick in form, but I am increasingly worried that our manager (who may be a good coach and man-motivator) might be - how can I put it - a bit thick? He certainly doesn't think before opening his mouth. We've seen it with the constant criticism of referees and barracking of fourth officials, and we've seen it with the way he talks about transfer deals that aren't over the line. He would do well to remember the maxim that "it is a wise man who says nothing when he has nothing to say".
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:50 am So, we now won't be signing Wes Hoolahan, who Karl Robinson had talked about openly after Saturday's game as being his next big target.

Simple question from me - why name a player and add pressure onto yourself as a manager by raising fans' expectations unless you're sure the deal is done? I cannot for the life of me understand why Robinson consistently does this. You can only lose by naming a player who may not ultimately sign.

I'm as happy as anyone with the recent uptick in form, but I am increasingly worried that our manager (who may be a good coach and man-motivator) might be - how can I put it - a bit thick? He certainly doesn't think before opening his mouth. We've seen it with the constant criticism of referees and barracking of fourth officials, and we've seen it with the way he talks about transfer deals that aren't over the line. He would do well to remember the maxim that "it is a wise man who says nothing when he has nothing to say".
Indeed - also underpromise and overdeliver rather than the other way round.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Radley Rambler wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:41 pm Indeed - also underpromise and overdeliver rather than the other way round.
Couldn't have put it better myself! :lol:
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:43 pm
Radley Rambler wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:41 pm Indeed - also underpromise and overdeliver rather than the other way round.
Couldn't have put it better myself! :lol:
Knew I’d heard it somewhere recently.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:50 am So, we now won't be signing Wes Hoolahan, who Karl Robinson had talked about openly after Saturday's game as being his next big target.

And now the appeal against Hanson's red card has failed, despite KRs confidence that it would be overturned...lesson learned? Probably not.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Dr Bob wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:59 pm

And now the appeal against Hanson's red card has failed, despite KRs confidence that it would be overturned...lesson learned? Probably not.
More sympathy for KR on this one - what was the harm in trying? I thought it was very harsh indeed.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I thought (from the video) that it was a very harsh red card. I suspect that once the card is awarded, it is only overturned if, in the view of the reviewers, it was clearly wrong.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Yellow filters here: I stop framed the Sky video to try to see the case for an appeal and then asked a couple of non-Ox friends, both of whom said "obvious red". That was an appeal that was never going to succeed.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Radley Rambler wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:25 pm
Dr Bob wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:59 pm

More sympathy for KR on this one - what was the harm in trying? I thought it was very harsh indeed.
Absolutely no harm whatsoever in trying. The point is, why make a big thing of it, saying how sure he was it would be overturned.