Retained list

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Retained list

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Published today. Not sure I remember us ever publishing the list when we still have competitive matches in the calendar, but I think it sends out the right message from KR that the rebuilding job starts now.

Released:
Agon Mehmeti
Wes Thomas
Aaron Martin
Dwight Tiendalli
Mike Williamson
James Roberts
Josh Ashby
Gino van Kessel
Ivo Pekalski

Kept:
Curtis Nelson (extension clause activated)
Rob Hall (extension clause activated)
Ricardinho (if he signs the contract he's been offered)
Sam Long (if he signs the contract he's been offered)
Joe Rothwell (if he signs the contract he's been offered)
Scott Shearer (extension clause activated)
Charlie Raglan
Kane Hemmings

I think I agree with all of that, although I might have kept Wes Thomas for another year.
SWA
Puberty

Re: Retained list

Post by SWA »

We need far better forwards than Wes Thomas if we are serious about mounting a League One promotion challenge next season.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

So who does that leave that is still under contract?

Eastwood
Mousinho
Dickie
Ledson
Ruffels
Carroll
Brannagan
Henry
Napa
Obika

Anyone else? What about Kelleher? I note he hasn't been mentioned in the same way that Raglan and Hemmings have.

Speaking of which, I'd rather keep Wes Thomas than Kane Hemmings (or Jon Obika)...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:33 pm So who does that leave that is still under contract?

Eastwood
Mousinho
Dickie
Ledson
Ruffels
Carroll
Brannagan
Henry
Napa
Obika

Anyone else? What about Kelleher? I note he hasn't been mentioned in the same way that Raglan and Hemmings have.

Speaking of which, I'd rather keep Wes Thomas than Kane Hemmings (or Jon Obika)...
Your list misses a few of the kids (Agboola, Stevens etc) but is otherwise correct. Like you, I wondered whether we'd hear Kelleher's name mentioned any time soon - a quick scan of the Solihull Moors forum the other day (yes yes, too much time on my hands) suggests he has very much failed to set the world alight there. His contract runs until summer 2019 though, so I'd imagine he'll either be farmed out on loan again or paid off.

On strikers, my gut instinct is that Mansfield will offer us a fee for Hemmings and we'll accept it - but if he was back in the fold next year, with a decent supply line, I wouldn't be too upset. Both he and Wes are competent strikers who'd get goals if given decent service. However, I hope and expect that KR can bring in strikers who will be even better.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

So, are Hemmings and Raglan still under contract then? Hemmings seems to have been around for ages.

And I assume Thomas won't play at Blackburn?
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Jimski wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:05 pm So, are Hemmings and Raglan still under contract then? Hemmings seems to have been around for ages.
Both have contracts until 30/6/19.

KR has got it about right, although I wouldn't be disappointed to lose Mousinho, Hemmings and Obika as well. All have contracts to 30/6/19 though, so paying them off would just eat into budget.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

On a different line, KR has said he wants to shake up the coaching staff, but hopefully not see anyone leave. He has also said he wants to have someone specifically for the new Under-23s. So how about Chris Allen for that role? The absurdly low number of BME managers presumably reflects, at least in part, the lack of a meaningful career path and support from within clubs. His senior coaching position with the First Team Squad will have given him important experience in that role. So how about giving this specific experience? At the risk of overstretching the analogy, the managers of both Germany and England stepped up from being in charge of the Under-21s.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:33 pm So who does that leave that is still under contract?

Eastwood
Mousinho
Dickie
Ledson
Ruffels
Carroll
Brannagan
Henry
Napa
Obika

To update your list the following players remain under contract to the date in brackets:

Eastwood (30/06/2019 plus club has additional 1 year option)
Nelson (30/06/2019)
Hall (30/06/2019)
Ledson (30/06/2019)
Brannagan (30/06/2021)
Shearer (30/06/2019)
Ruffels (30/06/2020 plus club has additional 1 year option)
Hemmings (30/06/2019)
Dickie (30/06/2020)
Henry (30/06/2020)
Rothwell (30/06/2018 plus new contract has been offered)
Obika (30/06/2019 plus club has additional 1 year option)
da Silva Kubitski (30/06/2018 plus 1 year contract has been offered)
Long (30/06/2018 plus 1 year contract has been offered)
Raglan (30/06/2019 plus club has additional 1 year option)
Kelleher (30/06/2019 plus club has additional 1 year option)
Mousinho (30/06/2019)
Stevens (30/06/2019 plus club has additional 1 year option)
Carroll (30/06/2020)
Napa (30/06/2019)
Baptiste (30/06/2018 plus club has additional 1 year option)
Agboola (30/06/2018)
James (30/06/2019)
Hopkins (30/06/2019)
Clayton (30/06/2019)
Berry-Hargreaves (30/06/2019)
Heap (30/06/2019)
Noel-Williams (30/06/2019)
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Well, Eastwood has signed a three-year deal, so you can update your records OR!

Fantastic news, IMHO. There aren't many better 'keepers in this division. I'm pleasantly surprised as I thought he'd be gone by August. There were plenty of rumours about him being unhappy under Clotet (which Eastwood himself hinted at in a recent RadOx interview). This speaks volumes for KR's ability to persuade our stars that they have a bright future here - and probably indicates that there's the backing at boardroom level to keep players financially happy too.

A great first piece of summer transfer news!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:04 pm Well, Eastwood has signed a three-year deal, so you can update your records OR!

Fantastic news, IMHO. There aren't many better 'keepers in this division. I'm pleasantly surprised as I thought he'd be gone by August. There were plenty of rumours about him being unhappy under Clotet (which Eastwood himself hinted at in a recent RadOx interview). This speaks volumes for KR's ability to persuade our stars that they have a bright future here - and probably indicates that there's the backing at boardroom level to keep players financially happy too.

Indeed - without him, we'd have been relegated last season.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:04 pm Well, Eastwood has signed a three-year deal, so you can update your records OR!

Good news indeed.

I also felt we would lose him this summer. Let's hope Nelson, Ledson and Hall all sign their new offerings too.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Eastwood is a good keeper - the best we've had for a good number of years. But then you'd expect that as we're playing at our highest level for a good number of years. I'm pleased he's signed on for longer.

Having said that, I'm not surprised he wasn't snapped up by someone else. He had a real dip in form in the middle of the season, and cost us a few goals (and at least one defeat) with lapses in concentration. I wouldn't say that he was noticeably better than the opposition's goalkeepers in the games I saw. I think this is probably his level.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:53 pm Eastwood is a good keeper - the best we've had for a good number of years. But then you'd expect that as we're playing at our highest level for a good number of years. I'm pleased he's signed on for longer.

Having said that, I'm not surprised he wasn't snapped up by someone else. He had a real dip in form in the middle of the season, and cost us a few goals (and at least one defeat) with lapses in concentration. I wouldn't say that he was noticeably better than the opposition's goalkeepers in the games I saw. I think this is probably his level.
Eastwood's form most definitely was off in mid-season, but I thought he finished it as he started it - and as he played most of last season - superbly (IMHO, natch). If, as appears increasingly likely, he was unhappy with life under Clotet, that might explain his lack of concentration and loss of form. Was that not also a time of chopping and changing the centre-back pairing?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Dr Bob wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:46 am On a different line, KR has said he wants to shake up the coaching staff, but hopefully not see anyone leave. He has also said he wants to have someone specifically for the new Under-23s. So how about Chris Allen for that role? The absurdly low number of BME managers presumably reflects, at least in part, the lack of a meaningful career path and support from within clubs. His senior coaching position with the First Team Squad will have given him important experience in that role. So how about giving this specific experience? At the risk of overstretching the analogy, the managers of both Germany and England stepped up from being in charge of the Under-21s.
Not suggesting KR reads Rage Online, but...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Doesn't that still constitute a demotion for Chris Allen though? Gone from coaching the first team to coaching the kids.